Notices

Nightmares

Old 10-23-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nightmares

I feel kind of weird posting about this, but I have been having horrible nightmares since I quit drinking. I had the shakes for a few days, felt itchy for the first week, but the nightmares will not stop.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi bozboz, I think this is perfectly normal. It's called REM rebound. Basically, when you drink heavily the sleep you get is not the good kind and you are hardly ever in REM mode when there is alot of alcohol in your bloodstream.

When we stop drinking, our brains try to make up for all the lost REM sleep and therefore we are overloaded with REM sleep and dreams that come with it. Don't worry it does subside over time. I had the worst nightmares but they are gone now after a couple weeks. Hang in there.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,....yes, this is definitely normal.....I call those nightmares demons.....not wanting to get out.....the first day I felt as if my soul was coming out of me.....I scared to go to sleep. Listen don't give in, those voices just want you to keep drinking.....it will all pass. It is really scary (detox). Don't listen........You'll come back to the other side sooner than you think.......Psalm 107:1-2 Oh, give thanks to the lord, for he is good! For His mercy endures forever. 2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so. Whom He has redeemed from the hand of the enemy. Psalm 91......It helps
Old 10-23-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bozboz

I'm not up on the science behind it but yeah it's normal - common even.
I hope you'll find they start to fade soon

D
Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-23-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi bozboz

I'm not up on the science behind it but yeah it's normal - common even.
I hope you'll find they start to fade soon

D
You and me both, D.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OMG I didn't really think about relating my (all of a sudden) recent nightmares/un easy dreams to my sudden sobriety. I am happy you posted this, I can definitely relate!

And I was really itchy too! Is that a symptom of becoming sober? Weird.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would have them after I stop my binge drinking. Nightmares were so real that I thought I was going to die. That's from the withdrawals of the alcohol. It will pass. If you feel like you can't do it on your own then see a doctor.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I haven't had nightmares since I stopped heavy drinking (and now stopped altogether) but my hubby said I had them all the time when I was drinking heavily. It always happened right about the time I would wake up in a pool of sweat. Sounds totally normal for the situation. But, it does pass...hang in there.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The more poetic term I learned instead of nightmares for this stage in recovery is "Poison Dreams"
I remember reading about them in some reprinted, centuries-old Zen texts that the monks mentioned upon giving up drink and/or meats.

In modern Zen and Taoist practice, it'd been medically proven that consuming stuff with the vitamin B12 (like meats, or fortified drinks) shortly before bed will make your dreams much more vivid and seemingly real.

I bring that last part up because if you've stopped drinking, you're probably consuming more or better-for-you stuff. Stopping drinking on top of getting more of B12 might be a strong mix for you and giving you the nightmares.

Recommendation: (using the example of 10pm being bedtime for you) - try not consuming much B12 after 6:30pm and see if you get more peacfull sleep.

Take care!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was soo itchy!! I forgot all about that but ive heard other people comment about this!!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been having crazy dreams and nightmares too. On day 3 this time around and in the past when trying to get sober I remember having them a lot in the beginning and having dreams of drinking.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Perfect thread Bozboz. I am in the same boat.

When does it stop??

I do not know about you guys but I have MANY dreams. Sometimes i do not even feel like I am even a sleep but I am dreaming..
Old 10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I have been "Tapering" my alcohol use and finally got it down to a 12 pack last night, thanks to my husband. (with a 12 pack, I feel a minimal buzz). I went to sleep and had a dream that my grandmother had passed away. Thanks for the thread.

Dom.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Animal454 View Post
Perfect thread Bozboz. I am in the same boat.

When does it stop??

I do not know about you guys but I have MANY dreams. Sometimes i do not even feel like I am even a sleep but I am dreaming..
Soon hopefully.

They do feel so real, it sucks.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It will stop. Give yourself time and good health. They will go away.