Notices

feeling worst after 2 weeks of sobriety....

Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling worst after 2 weeks of sobriety....

wuts up guys...i decided to stop drinking 2 weeks ago this day and im happy i got to this point....my question is if its possible to go through withdrawals 2weeks after quitting?....i thought the worst was on the first couple of days, which were a breeze for me all i had were mild symptoms....now today, ive had the worst anxiety ever and its to the point that is scaring me...im also very fatigued yet i cant fall asleep.....i hope this gets better...im not gonna lie, the thought crossed my mind "why not get a six pack, it will knock you right out and make the anxiety go away" but i will not give in....ill be too ashamed to submit to my hold habits......
Old 10-20-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you feel bad it's always a good idea to think about seeing a Dr - it could be anxiety...a lot of us suffer from that in early recovery....it could be something called PAWS....
PAWS « Digital Dharma

or it may be something else entirely, y'know?

Hope you feel better soon

D
Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for the info dee.....let me know if i got this right.....paws is a way of dealing with the issues that drove me to alcohol to self-manage these issues...
Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

no PAWS is simply Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome...

from wikipedia:
Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) (also sometimes referred to as post-withdrawal syndrome or protracted withdrawal syndrome) is a set of persistent impairments that occur after withdrawal from alcohol, opiates, benzodiazepines and other substances.
although that article I linked to has a lot of tips for dealing with it, if thats what you think you might have.

D
Old 10-20-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oh, i get it... there was alot of reading in that article, thats why i wondering if i got it right...is most def what im experiencing...i have to realize that after 10 years of constantly drinking, im not gonna feel 100% after to weeks of qutting...its gonna take some time...
Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Stay stopped. It gets different, then better! You can do it!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Two weeks is a great start! The fact that you've made it this far should give you encouragement and hopefully you can see the strength you have.

The first 30 days are a roller coaster ride. No doubt about that.

Since I was very malnourished when I quit drinking I ate a lot of very high carb - salty foods (it was what they fed us in treatment). I think that helped with the anxiety somewhat as my stomach also felt full. I also was one of those "drink to sleep" drunks. I had so much anxiety about sleep. I got a Rx from the dr to help me the first week. I also quickly got into a bedtime routine as suggested.

As far as the general anxious feelings go - there are essential vitamins your body is probably missing (my folic acid was so low I got a blood clot in my lung- nearly died that day). Additionally, there are essential amino acids that are likely out of whack too that if you can get balanced you will likely see a huge reduction in anxiety.

The #1 helpful thing for me was food - good food. I'm 6'2" and weighed only 155lbs when I checked into treatment. Eleven days later I checked out at 177lbs. A month later I was 186lbs and have remained there for 7 months.

I'm rambling on here and need to get to bed. Stay strong, don't drink today.
-Peace
Old 10-21-2011, 02:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OG, good on you for the 2 weeks, hang in there,
CaiHong
Old 10-21-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel the same it is now day 2 and I'm feeling worst then ever my anxiety is throough the roof.. I'm at such a fragile state. but hang in there, It"ll get better.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the mental issues are often as hard as, or harder than dealing with the physical withdrawls, because we just don't have the experience to deal with those. But, be patient and try to work through things slowly. A very simple, but effective way to deal with anxiety is to take three vbery deep breaths, belly breaths.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WTG on the two weeks! You got some good advice here. Hope you're doing okay today.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yea, im doing better today....about to meet up a friend right now. he invited me to come by and drink some beers at his house, but i have told him i quit yet. i think the hard part is socializing again w/o alcohol. i thought the best way to deal with it was by isolating myself but i think is best for me to just put myself out there and face the battle head on...my friend is not a threat for relapse because he doesnt drink that much(hes a 2 beer a night guy) and hes not the type to pressure me to do it....
Old 10-21-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

It gets better, hang in there!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

2 weeks, congrats! From my expierance and friends I've made who have gone through this, the anxiety is pretty normal, and usually gets better with time. Whatever you do, just hang in there!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

after 10 years of constantly drinking, im not gonna feel 100% after to weeks of qutting...its gonna take some time...

Someone here said it's liking walking ten miles into the woods. You can't get out again in just a few steps. Give yourself time to fully heal. It took me about two to three months before I started feeling really good again, normal, and not on an emotional roller coaster.