Notices

New meaning to one day at a time

Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New meaning to one day at a time

Currently on week 5 of being completely sober. I used to think taking recovery one day at a time and counting the days was no better than actually drinking.

Since quitting,
I've talked to a counselor, got my education back on track after almost being kicked out of university.

Been diagnosed with anxiety and had "panic attacks" I sought help and ended up talking to a counselor at the er at my hospital, 2.5 hours later of talking I calmed down and felt "normal". I used to never talk about my feeling even growing up, ive always dealt with everything on my own including a common cold, flu break ups ect even though I have wonderful friends.

More counseling determined the origin of my drinking which was the result of the end of a long term relationship which I had developed severe depression over the last 4 years, and didn't know it, because I never sought help as I thought It was normal.

Ive dealt with my depression, no longer do I "HATE" myself, everyone else and everything, before I was counting and waiting until I could drink that night, everything I did through out the day was considered an inconvenience and slowed me down to getting to that bottle of vodka at the end of the night.

No longer do I rush through my day just so I can drink which is all I looked forward too, I lost interest in my family, friends, pets, MYSELF and life in general, that bottle of vodka was the only reason why I got out of bed in the day except forcing myself to function and mask my true feelings.

I now wake up bright and early every morning before the bare minimum to get somewhere. I enjoy every second of my day, the rain, my damp shoes, warming up once I get to my destination, I enjoy talking to friends and meeting new people. I am enjoying life better than I ever had before! I dont want today to end Ive got so much I want to do!

The past is the past and once done is done, I can no longer hold myself to blame for drinking and "wasting" 4 years of my life, If anything Ive learned the value of life. I am ever so grateful for everything and everyone in my life and am glad I faced my addiction and toughed it out through those hard first 2 weeks as each day truly is worth waiting for to see what it holds.

I learnt to love myself again and forgive the mistakes i've made and its time to move on.

I used to look at others with 6 months sobriety and thinking that was so far away I can never make it there and especially those at 10+ years! One day at a time is all I need as there is no rush to get to six months, Ill enjoy every day until then just ask much as I did living through today.

Hang in there, Im sure glad I did as I thought about reaching for that bottle, but for what ive got to lose now, not a chance will I!!

Living each day like its my last as I dont want to lose another minute of my life to drinking
Old 10-20-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post supras4lyfe

D
Old 10-20-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Awesome!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you're doing well.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you give hope to the hopeless....I'm praying.....I'm also sober today....first day once again....my advise to you is, don't look back nor listen to that negative voice that allows you to fall.......your doing great.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"I dont want to lose another minute of my life to drinking"

Amen

Thanks for posting.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the positive sharing.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thats just made my day, thanks for the great post.... sobriety rocks!!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for that inspiring post. Amazing that most "normal people" wouldn't consider appreciating damp shoes or the rain. I was too drunk or hung over to be able to notice anything. I hope you stay positive and continue to be an inspiration for someone struggling
Old 10-21-2011, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Your post is inspirational. well done on your good work.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

supras4lyfe,

Great insight. Your take on 'one day at a time' is exactly as that phrase is intended in the AA program. One day at a time was never about not drinking just for today, or counting up days sober. The phrase has it's origins in the full version of the Serenity Prayer, and it's always been about spiritual fitness on a daily basis, concerning myself with only those things I can deal with in that day.

On and even deeper level, one day at a time really refers to living life in the moment of now, and being mindful and accepting of what is.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing
Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Great post, thanks for sharing and congrats on 5 weeks!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

each day truly is worth waiting for to see what it holds
Love it...... Thanks for a great post!!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your post is "the cherry on top" to my very good day