Notices

Four months today

Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRightNow View Post
Today is officially four months since I last had a drink.

It's been a heck of a four months. I've done a lot of AA, got a sponsor, lost a sponsor, got a new sponsor. I got a job that was truly beyond my wildest dreams and I've started finally facing up to stuff I've been burying for years.

It's been hard at times, especially around the three month mark. I'm back on antidepressants under my GP but am taking these sober for the first time in my life and am finding them very effective.

Treated myself to some new clothes and an iPhone yesterday to celebrate. It's a great feeling to have the freedom to treat myself to things now. First time in my life, at the age of 36, that I've actually paid bills on time under my own steam, kept clean, washed clothes, all the simple things that other people take for granted.

So here's to the next four months. I'm going to see my family for Christmas and God willing, I'll be six months by then. It will be wonderful to see them like this.

Thanks as always to SR for all the support and help.

Hi, I can relate. I have been trying to just do productive things like cleaning my apartment and keeping it clean, exercising and eating well, paying bills without being sent multiple reminders, and for me the hardest task is focusing/being productive at work. I have always taken the easy way out, been immature and downright lazy, and gotten away with it but things started to collapse at least internally and somewhat externally too.

I like how you talk about treating yourself to new things for reaching this milestone. In the past I've begrudged myself things like mani/pedis or new clothes, thinking that I couldn't afford them [or maybe thinking I didn't deserve them], while at the same time spending so much money on going out and drinking! I'm trying to take an attitude of treating myself well and allowing myself to be spoiled in little ways, as long as it isn't with drinking. But I am not nearly as far as you and it's inspiring to read how well you're doing at four months. Thanks for sharing, it really helps me to stay positive. :-)
Old 10-16-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

SRN - that is so amazing!!! I felt that in my stomach! I hope I can be as strong as you!!! Congrats and great that you got yourself a treat - imagine all the things you can get yourself on boxing day specials after 6 deserving months!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

congratulations! You should be very proud. Keep up the good work.