Notices

Feeling squirelly

Old 10-05-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling squirelly

I'm just under two months sober, I rarely make it this long. I truly feel like I'm having a panic attack. My heart is racing, thoughts are running thru my head that I don't like (you're not an alcoholic, you're just a terrible person, a drink will make you feel better, etc). I'm jittery, (I did drink 2 red bulls) and can barely breathe. I'm having a hard time staying in today and instead am imagining a life and a future without EVER having a drink. How do I go on a date with my husband and not have a glass of wine? Be intimate without drinking? What fun is life without alcohol? What's the point? I'm sorry I know my thoughts are all over the place. I can't get to a meeting tonight, my son has cancer and there's no one here to take care of him. I'm a mess. This is the kind of thing that always happens before I go back out. Can someone please help me? Is this normal?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
I'm just under two months sober, I rarely make it this long. I truly feel like I'm having a panic attack. My heart is racing, thoughts are running thru my head that I don't like (you're not an alcoholic, you're just a terrible person, a drink will make you feel better, etc). I'm jittery, (I did drink 2 red bulls) and can barely breathe. I'm having a hard time staying in today and instead am imagining a life and a future without EVER having a drink. How do I go on a date with my husband and not have a glass of wine? Be intimate without drinking? What fun is life without alcohol? What's the point? I'm sorry I know my thoughts are all over the place. I can't get to a meeting tonight, my son has cancer and there's no one here to take care of him. I'm a mess. This is the kind of thing that always happens before I go back out. Can someone please help me? Is this normal?
First off I'd stop drinking the red bulls - I find them really bad for anxiety.

I think most of us worry about the future Eliasson - not drinking ever again seemed so immense to me - thats why I stuck with 'just for today' for a while - but now nearly 5 years down the track I promise you - you will not lose out from not drinking

I can have fun without drinking...in fact my life really began when I stopped drinking. I really enjoy my life now - I never did before.

I can go out with my partner and drink a coke and not feel I'm losing out...

I can do whatever I want to do...whatever it is you're worried about - you may have to learn to adapt a little but you can do it sober

If you go back to drinking tho - you know where that leads & what problems it brings...and if you're like me things will get worse.

Trust your inner voice - you know this is the right path for you

I'm sorry you can't get to a meeting tonight - can you work out a regular schedule to get to a meeting maybe? I think support is very important.

D
Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Eliasson...I have 60 days today. I know the anxieties you are feeling. It's one of the desparate measures that monster voice inside of us wants us to believe. It's a lie. Don't believe it. Don't think about tomorrow or any other time than right now. You are sober, and in control. If you have to slow life down to one breath at a time do so, but don't drink. You know you are doing this for all the right reasons for you and your family. Having had more than a year sobriety earlier in life, I can tell you that your concerns about social life, relations, etc., are unfounded. Life is so much better without alcohol.

Fight the voices telling you this, but surrender to alcoholism. You'll be glad you did.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's normal to have those kinds of thoughts.

I hope you can begin to believe that there is life without alcohol. You can go on vacations, go out for dinner, have lots of fun times without alcohol. You need to change from the inside out and see different ways of dealing with life.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Eliasson - I ditto what everyone else has said. I had some panicky moments early on, but kept reminding myself that I was going for long-term freedom and happiness, not short term relief. The craving won't last forever and you'll get a little stronger each time you get through it.

Learning to do all those things sober is a process. One day at a time. Pull your mind back, take a dozen deep breaths and just focus on being here, now. It really does get better......
Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hang in there, things only get better.

Check in with your doctor if you are concerned about anxiety/panic attacks.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

day 89 here and yes it gets sooo much better
do whatever it takes.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Eliasson

I agree with all of the above. It is worth it, hang in there. I just want you to know I am thinking of you and wishing you strength to carry you through.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 10-06-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing eliasson?

D