Notices

Information / help needed

Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Information / help needed

I was sober for 6 years, relapsed for a year, rehab in 2010 and no alcohol since knowingly - except a heavily spiked drink when on holidays in September, drank for 2 days, no alcohol since.

On holidays I did not know my drink contained alcohol, I've no recolection of asking for or drinking alcohol. Ex involved social services, social worker says even if my drink was spiked "I had the choice to stop". All I remember is waking up and not knowing what had happened.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info on what happens to a recovering alcoholic who unknowingly drinks alcohol? I've never drunk spirits and I'm convinced the drink was heavily laced with spirits which I couldn't taste.

Please help, this social worker does no believe me and when she says - if it was spiked you had the choice to stop. I simply don't remember anything.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry, I don't have a ready reference available to offer to you, but what a recovering alcoholic does when they drink, whether intentionally or unintentionally, is resume on the path to sobriety.

My suggestion is to stay abstinent because in my experience, actions speak louder than words. There is no shortcut or better way to prove one's commitment to sobriety than to live it.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Josephine

I'm sorry that happened to you.

Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism by James Robert Milam & Katherine Ketcham is a good basic guide to what happens to alcoholics when they drink, and I think would explain things in a far more scientific way that I could.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

All I remember is waking up and not knowing what had happened.

Sounds like when drinks are spiked,not with alcohol, but with that 'date rape' drug. The person has no memory of events, as if blacked out, but not from alcohol, from that drug.

If that were the case you had no choice to stop drinking if you didn't know the drink was 'spiked'. Either way, I'd talk to a lawyer.

Hold on a minute. You said you had a 'heavily spiked drink' but then said you drank for two days. I don't understand why you're focused on that one spiked drink if you drank for two days after that. I'm not getting it...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks,

I too am 'not getting it'. I'd been careful on the first two days about what I was drinking, all non-alcoholic. Day four I woke up - I'd been drinking, sleeping, drinking for two days. I have no recollection of asking for alcohol, no recollection of drinking alcohol so my assumption is my drink was spiked. I'd not eaten, slept much, it was in the 40s....... I don't know what happened
Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There were two threads on this topic. I merged the two into one

D
Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks

I've never used a forum or chat room before so I'm learning as I go, thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what your question is... were you with someone else or friends that can tell you what happened over the two day period?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry but this really makes no sense.

There must have been people with you during those few days who know what you were doing.

I hope you can focus on recovery and being a good parent to your children.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I also am curious if you were alone.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

How did you not notice an aroma or after taste, let alone a feeling? While sober? Sounds like a few things I've read recently.

Welcome to SR!