Notices

couple small triggers

Old 10-01-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

couple small triggers

Hi all, day eight. Doing pretty good, been taking long walks with my dog and taking care of responsibilities, like filing my 2010 taxes.

One thing that I have alwasy loved to do it go to thrift shops. My MO was go buy a bottle hide it in a plastic water bottle. Walk down town with a nice buz and shop.. You should see some of the crap I came home with. Well this weekend I still went to my shops but for the first time sober in a year. Really did not crave. Just it was such a habit it seemed weird walking past my liquor store. I went to an aa meeting first. Maybe that helped. Im also checking out smart recovery. Im covering all my basis this time and not taking this easy week for granted.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I enjoy thrift shop shopping too - I think you'll find more bargains without the buzz

D
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you Ventura! Congratulations on day 8...fantastic! I can relate to the water bottle...it was my MO too!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You should see some of the crap I came home with.
Had to laugh! - I can only imagine myself being drunk at a flea market......!

I associated several things with drinking, too.... The year before I quit, I was playing a lot of computer games (just to pass the time while I drank). When I got sober, it just wasn't the same, and I've since found other things I'd rather do (like come here).....

Other things seemed strange at first, but after I did them sober a few times, I found that I usually enjoyed them more when I was sober. Who woulda thunk?

Keep up the good work!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

Everything I used to do drunk I now do sober (concerts, football games, fishing, camping, socializing etc.). 100% more enjoyable!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting back to do things you enjoy!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
July 8, 2011

really neat reading that!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Isn't it kind of odd the little habits we get into? I used to get drunk and wander aimlessly around Target stores. I kind of obsessed over Target a little too much, visiting different stores each weekend. Yeah I know it's a little weird.

Good for you facing that scenario. I think you did absolutely the right thing by going to a meeting first, you probably prepared yourself very well.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Ventura47,

I used to have so many things associated with drinking so I had heaps of triggers. Cooking dinner, going to a concert, seeing a wine glass or bottle shop etc.

The first few times I did something sober that I would usually drink doing were really hard because it didn't feel normal. But putting in the effort to do it is awesome because after time the conditioned response gets weakened and eventually goes away completely. I am amazed now that I thought I needed to drink to cook dinner or clean, it truly does not cross my mind now. And going to concerts and music festivals without drinking is so much better. I remember the bands, see the whole set because I am not rushing off to go buy drinks go to the loo etc, and I actually feel the music so much more.