Notices

My uncomfortable AA meeting

Old 09-07-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I too was a binge drinker/self medictor. I was not physically addicted to alcohol. I abused alcohol, and myself and others. I am an addict. Addiction plays out in many areas of my life and my way of dealing or not dealing with life is that of an addict.

I did attend some AA meetings and talk about my addiction with some AA people, and had a hard time relating since alcohol was not my main issue, and they tend to be hard line Big Book and feel that if I did not self identify as an alcoholic, I was in denial.

I found a home in NA, where the issue is addiction, not the substance etc, but the underlying patterns. People introduce themselves in all manner of ways at the beginning of a meeting, sometimes just by name. The literature is more inclusive because the focus is not on one particular substance.

AA is truly for alcoholics, and if you are not one, you may continue to find it hard to identify with the group.

Any of the other suggested options are definitely good to look into. I use some of them to enhance my recovery program, but my framework is the 12 steps and NA. I like having a support group, and there are NA meetings almost everywhere (lol, except where I now live) I come here as a substitute for meetings, to get support and learn from the experience of others.

I think its great that you are in recovery, stepping forward with your questions and concerns, and showing up here. Those are super healthy behaviors.

I think you will find that many people in Al anon do themselves have substance abuse issues. That may not, and should not be the main topic of the meetings, but other people there will understand and Identify with your situation.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

Threshold, why not start an NA group in your area?
Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Threshold, why not start an NA group in your area?
I've thought about it. And I may do it, but the reasons I haven't yet are...when I moved here it was for a temporary job. Then everything changed and this became "home" for well, who knows how long?

I was/am really overwhelmed right now with dealing with huge changes, which certainly feel like losses, in my life right now, as well as getting my feet under me after a recent overdose and relapse.

The logistics of putting together a group right now truly feel overwhelming. But since it appears that this will be home sweet home for a while, and I think the community would benefit from a group, I think that I might see about getting one started. I am hoping to identify a few other misplaced NA folks to help me get the ball rolling.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Innerchild, your post could have been written by me. I agree with so many of your observations concerning 12 step programs. I looked at SMART recovery, and then found AVRT (the method, not the member) and RR. These things seemed to fit in better with my understanding of how I relate to the world. Do some research on 'locus of control' - that may shed some light on your feelings in this area.

Please pm me if you would like to know about my journey. I will be happy to share my experiences with you, and how SR has been a wellspring of information and inspiration.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post

The logistics of putting together a group right now truly feel overwhelming. But since it appears that this will be home sweet home for a while, and I think the community would benefit from a group, I think that I might see about getting one started. I am hoping to identify a few other misplaced NA folks to help me get the ball rolling.
You would be surprises at how little is required to start a AA/NA meeting.

2 Drunks/Addicts ($0)
1 Coffee Pot ($5 -$20 used at a thrift shop)
1 Church basement ($20 $40 per month)
1 wicker money-basket ($1 - $3)
1 can coffee ($5 - $10)
1 Pkg coffee filters ($2 - $5)
Some literature/pamphlets ($0 - $50)
A form for registering it in the area directory ($0.44 postage)

"Build it and they will come"
Old 09-07-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I went to one AA meeting about five years ago, and it was so bizarre that I never went back. Most of the people seemed to be there by court-order (I only say that because they sat there looking pissed off all night, then lined up with little forms for the facilitator to sign afterward.) My friend that invited me to the group lost his license for two years for getting a DUI with a prior, and one guy told me (in unnecessary detail) about all the time he spent at the Santa Rita Jail after he wrecked his car while driving drunk. I might have accidentally stumbled into an AA group where everyone has really harrowing drinking histories, but I felt like I was way out of my league there. The feeling I got is that AA is designed for people with MAJOR alcohol problems, and mine was small potatoes in comparison. I didn't even stay long enough to learn the basic AA teachings.

AA's religiousity didn't offend me, but it did seem a bit excessive. AA definitely isn't for everybody; I know it wasn't for me. I'm not sure whether or not you live in an urban area, but if you do, there are probably quite a few other options. I actually know someone that rides with a sober biker club, and it sounds like they have TONS of fun on their sober runs all over the state. I hope you find something you like.