Notices

New focus

Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New focus

Instead of focusing on when I can drink or how to cover up the shakes so no one at work notices, I am focusing on rebuilding my relationships with my girls. Today my oldest is coming over and we are going to the thrift store just to look around. Then we are coming home and making lunch and baking a cake. I would have never thought that sounded fun these past 5 years. I can't believe I put alcohol before my kids. Thanks be to God that they have unconditional love and a forgiving heart. Every time I feel weak, I need to focus on how much I missed out on being a drunk and how much better it feels to be the mom I need to be. I still have a long way to go and they are still leery, but every day sober is a battle won.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Amen, LPN. I "forced" my kids to attend a family dinner out on Saturday, and after much grumbling, we had a fantastic time together. They were probably initially reluctant because of my past track record of excessive drinking when going out. Then, yesterday, we went to a church picnic together for lunch, and when we got home, they were almost giddy, playing around like I haven't seen in a long time. The subject of my drinking came up when my oldest son said, "Wow! You just decided to quit one day and you did! I'm proud of you!" That was echoed by the two younger ones. This is God at work!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
Amen, LPN. I "forced" my kids to attend a family dinner out on Saturday, and after much grumbling, we had a fantastic time together. They were probably initially reluctant because of my past track record of excessive drinking when going out. Then, yesterday, we went to a church picnic together for lunch, and when we got home, they were almost giddy, playing around like I haven't seen in a long time. The subject of my drinking came up when my oldest son said, "Wow! You just decided to quit one day and you did! I'm proud of you!" That was echoed by the two younger ones. This is God at work!
Just seeing that "I'm proud of you" brought tears to my eyes. What a great feeling. God is at work. We are blessed beyond measure.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. It is so precious to be there for one's children. I am so happy these days knowing that whenever either my Son or Daughter calls I will be able to answer the phone and talk without worrying if I am slurring my words and I will remember everything that was said. Wlell worth the price of admission. I also feel much better physically, mentally, and emotionally - though I'm still taking Prestiq, LOL.