Notices

Hi all...just a question, didn't know where to post it..

Old 08-28-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

Hi all...just a question, didn't know where to post it..

have any of you experienced bad headaches early in recovery? I am on day 12 today and have had a horrible headache since Friday nothing seems to help. To boot, I have horrible insomnia since I quit (I know there's a forum for that, but not for general aches, and pains)...

Is this normal? I almost NEVER get headaches so this a new experience for me..I've been taking in coffee everyday (not to excess though) and chocolate when the cravings are strong..

Someone in a meeting yesterday suggested Benadryl to help with sleep but it didn't do a thing....I still was tossing and turning until about 3:30-4 A.M. I have on OTC sleep aid that I plan to try tonight for that.

As far as the headaches though? No idea...and I can't see a doctor, I have NO health insurance, or else I def. would..can't afford out of pocket..

Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had headaches the first week or two almost everyday, all day. Some days aspirin helped and some it didn't. This is my second time quitting. The first time I had headaches too. I only quit for about 6 weeks that time and remember headaches off and on the whole time.

I'm only on day 23 this time, but no headaches this past week. In my case, I kind of think they are tension headaches. If I take a hot shower and let the water pound on my upper back, they seem to subside.

I also had a terrible time sleeping for the first 10 days or so. I woke every hour all night, every night. Then suddenly, I just started sleeping the full 8 with no interuptions. I've always fallen asleep easily.

That's been my experiences.

I hope you stop having headaches and start sleeping well. Congratulations on your 12 days!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you been to a doctor?

Sober people who I know, don't suggest allergy medication or over the counter drugs as sleep aids, sorry, that isn't sober behavior.

Seek medical attention. You found money to buy your alcohol, you'll find it for a doctor visit!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
orangutan

I had headaches for about 2 weeks solid everyday when I first stopped glad to say they have stopped .
Old 08-28-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never did, but as you can see others have.
Do see your Dr if you're concerned

D
Old 08-28-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks all!

Sugarbear, If you have had as little sleep as I have the past week plus, I don't see the harm or "lack of sober behavior" using anything (and not to excess) for an OTC remedy, sorry we can agree to disagree on this. I don't feel that's a realistic assessment. And working part time and sporadically no I cannot afford a doctor, period. A single vist averages about $150 or more.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You may be able to find a free clinic New.
Google free clinic and your area.

None of us can judge your sobriety New and I certainly won't - but I have seen people post here about problems with Benadryl and the like, so please do be careful.

there are some good common sense tips here that may help?
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

D
Old 08-28-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks Dee! And thanks sugarbear, I know you are just looking out for me and I do appreciate it, I guess even sober we can't always agree on everything.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah I had headaches for 3, maybe 4 weeks. Even posted a thread about it.

They should go away.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Headache

I'm 6mnths sober and the headaches are killer
The insomnia was the WORST part of the whole thing but that does get better, it really is tough though at the start, I just couldnt sleep and I was trying to use sleeping tablets and even they didnt work.
I eventually started sleeping right again, its like your body is resetting itself.
The drinking dreams will start happening soon too, now they are really surreal, it's like you are there...hang in there ;-)
Old 08-28-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had headaches as well. I cut out caffeine and that helped me somewhat. Caffeine also had a weird affect on my heart-- created some irregular heartbeats. I feel good now and only drink decaff coffee. Hope your headaches go away soon. I went through stages of various physical things (only minor) my first month or two of being sober. I just kept in mind all that I had put my body through and pictured it healing itself... I think it takes awhile for everything to be back to "normal". I'm almost at 3 months and I still don't feel back to normal, although I do feel much, much better. Hang in there and try to relax as much as you can!!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Not arguing, just know one SR member had bleeding on the brain recently. I found money to buy my alcohol, I can find money to pay for getting checked during withdrawal time AND trying to abide by SR Rules. I'm 105 days sober. Just staying sane for today!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm on day 12 too - hi!!!!

we share a sober bday!

i am a total insomniac but my insomnia existed before i got sober, so did the headaches. for me, it is all part of one big ball of blech and drinking only made it worse. every time.

so grateful to be sober tonight.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Not arguing, just know one SR member had bleeding on the brain recently. I found money to buy my alcohol, I can find money to pay for getting checked during withdrawal time AND trying to abide by SR Rules. I'm 105 days sober. Just staying sane for today!
Sorry to hear about the bleeding on the brain, that's horrible.

As far as going to see a dr. I KNOW how much I can't or can afford. As it is I am paying out of pocket for two counselling sessions per month and it ain't cheap wth no insurance. I also have over $13K in medical bills from a slip, fall and broken arm in two places, bet you didn't know that?? Yes I am actually becoming responsible have set up payment plans for each (and there are MANY bills).

And what "rules" do you feel I am breaking here? All I can come up with after re-reading my post is asking if two physical symptoms are "normal", yet I only ask if anyone else has had them, I do NOT ask for medical advice so please tell me what rules you feel I am not following. I would really love to know.

I'm not trying to argue either, FTR. I am just asking you to back up your words. What am I missing here?
Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your headaches, but I'm glad you posted this. I didn't know that was one of the body's reactions, I've been having terrible headaches.

Re: insomnia, not to be taken as medical advice, but I've been drinking this nighttime herbal tea with valerian and hops, it's helped immensely. You should be able to find it in the coffee/tea aisle of any grocery store. I drink it about an hour before bedtime so I don't have to get up for the bathroom in the middle of the night. I also set my bedtime at 10:00 (which was really hard but totally worth it) and I stick to that during the week, 11:00 on Friday and Saturday and always get up at 6 or 7 respectively.

Good luck and congrats on your sobriety!