Notices

37 Days, I 'm Sorry, I Just Can't

Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Edeneen,
You are almost as hopeless as I was about 100 days ago. I spent a nonstop week of drinking, smoking weed & cigarettes. I lost my selfworth. Full of guilt, shame, remorse. I only raised my son 5.5 years. He turned 16 last week. My brother & his wife keep me away. My family doesn't need me. My "step kids" think I'm a monster. Lost a career, I've been on a bus for 2 years. I lowered my "bar" and hung with others who have no goals for anything but getting their next fix & drink.

Need I go on? Utter hopelessness. My lovers, all gone.

Hopeless and my heart kept beating. I didn't care. Know one else bothered, why should I????????

Life. It wouldn't let me die. I finally told Life something needed to change and I didn't know what to do.
Somehow, I didn't drink or use. One day, then another. On the fifth day, I got to a 7 am meeting. I had no money so I walked. I found a sponsor and got to gradually know some people.

I worked a 5th step yesterday. Then 6 & 7. I woke up today. I was "emotionally hungover" yet I began the day. All I know is I am not the same anxious person I was. I have 98 days in a row and everything is just different.

You can feel different, too! Hugs and more prayers sent your way
Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hang in there edeneen! Tomorrow is a new day!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Please do not give up...there is hope!! Take it one day at a time...don't take the first drink...and think the drink thru to the consequences.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Edeneen,
It is after 10:00 pm and I just saw your post. I hope all of these posts from your friends at SR helped you today ...
You cried out for help today. It is obvious that you don't want to drink. If SR is your only support network and we weren't able to offer what you needed to "not take that first drink" then you need to find additional support. Keep talking and sharing with us - but connect with others who can give you real ((((((hugs))))))) too.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

as bad as it feels, the truth is we don't have to do anything about it. except not pick up. As an addict I am not used to just not doing anything about it. Whenever a feeling popped up, I was like Henney Penney "the sky is falling down" and away I went.

And I used because I couldn't turn my darn brain off. Now I am clean, and when feelings come up so does that old "the sky is falling down" feeling...even if it's just a little old acorn that dropped on my head. And I am SURE that I MUST do something to hold that big old sky up there.

But the truth is that I don't have to do anything. Just let the feeling come, and go. And that feels so impossible. I feel like I can't stand it anymore, but I can. I am learning that I can stand it, even though I think I can't. When there is nothing useful I can do, no action that I should take, or must take, then I just sit with the feelings.

I am NOT pretending this is easy. I've been up the past few nights nearly out of my mind, but all I did, was not use. Kept reminding myself that feelings themselves can't hurt me, and if I don't buy into them, they move on.

you don't need to apologize to me, or to anyone here. Any time you spend here as part of our community is helpful to all of us. Even if you decide to give up sobriety for now, hang out with us. Recovery is catchy.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Eden,

First, i want to say that you didn't disappoint anyone. And you should not feel you let yourself down. This is a difficult thing to do.

You seemed happy the first few days of your sobriety, but for the past few weeks, you have not seemed to be very happy. Just the other day you said you would probably go back and drink.

You know all the reasons you should quit. And you know how hard it is to do. I would really encourage you to get back up and start again. You can take what you have learned and make the changes you need to make.

Sobriety can be a blast. It can be such a happy part of life. But it takes work. Think about what you might do to not only get and stay sober, but to be happy.

I wish you only the best.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
heartofamama

dear friend,
it's not the end.
u will begin again.
feeling bad will just delay the day of freedom for u.
instead--think about the Perfect Righteous God Who Loves u
regardless of how u see yourself.
He's the Healer, & it doesn't take a church or a sponsor to call upon Him for help
God's not far away, just invisible to the eyes.
in the quiet of your heart you'll meet Him,
if u cry out in sincerity...
the good part about being broken is getting 2 meet our Healer.
He awaits you, and anyone else reading this as well.
he who has eyes to see, let him see.Amen
Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You ARE worth it!

Please don't give up on yourself and your recovery. Finding a support network is everything. Personally the "I can't do this" and "F*** it" attitude has been my downfall and pulled me back more times than I can count. Obvious from your posts is that you want to stop drinking. Pick yourself up and go forward. Beating yourself up serves no useful purpose and for myself simply provided justification for continuing using. As children we learned to walk and stumbled and fell many times in the process. Eventually we learned to stand and walk on our own two feet. I have come to understand that recovery is a learned process...and I am still learning. You will be in my prayers.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
as bad as it feels, the truth is we don't have to do anything about it. except not pick up. As an addict I am not used to just not doing anything about it. Whenever a feeling popped up, I was like Henney Penney "the sky is falling down" and away I went.

And I used because I couldn't turn my darn brain off. Now I am clean, and when feelings come up so does that old "the sky is falling down" feeling...even if it's just a little old acorn that dropped on my head. And I am SURE that I MUST do something to hold that big old sky up there.

But the truth is that I don't have to do anything. Just let the feeling come, and go. And that feels so impossible. I feel like I can't stand it anymore, but I can. I am learning that I can stand it, even though I think I can't. When there is nothing useful I can do, no action that I should take, or must take, then I just sit with the feelings.

I am NOT pretending this is easy. I've been up the past few nights nearly out of my mind, but all I did, was not use. Kept reminding myself that feelings themselves can't hurt me, and if I don't buy into them, they move on.

you don't need to apologize to me, or to anyone here. Any time you spend here as part of our community is helpful to all of us. Even if you decide to give up sobriety for now, hang out with us. Recovery is catchy.
Threshold...thank you for this description. An accurate protrayal of my mental reasoning when drinking, and sometimes when not. Good post.

Edeneen...I hope you awake today in a better place, and seeing all the love, care and hope so many others have for you. I hope it will help you to march forward in sobriety, whether this is day 38 or 1. Peace.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

One of the biggest things I've gained in sobriety is a better ability to see the big picture. It is OK to have a bad day. It's ok to have a crappy week. was a real hallmark of my addiction. It's a kind of myopia or tunnel vision or maybe just plain old immaturity.

Just being able to sit back and go "tomorrow will be better. and if not tomorrow, then the next day" is a real gift that came with sobriety.

I wish you peace.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That is what it so great about one day at a time...and you can always at any given moment turn your day around. All my prayers that you have a peaceful sober day today.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Edeneen . . . I'm on Day 29 - can't believe I made it past 4 weeks. I'm feeling generally pissed off and just want to drink coffee. Lots of it - which is unlike me. I just can't go back and restart the sobriety count . . .don't you either. If I can hang on, you can too. Keep your mind busy, your body active and your (sober) friends and family near.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I think everyone has given wonderful advice. Just take a good hard look at all of these responses you got. I don't know what's really going on in your REAL world, but look at all of this love and support here for you!!! Just reading through all of the responses made me tear up because people so genuinely care about you! Please remember that and know that we're all pulling for you.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Edeneen,
You are almost as hopeless as I was about 100 days ago. I spent a nonstop week of drinking, smoking weed & cigarettes. I lost my selfworth. Full of guilt, shame, remorse. I only raised my son 5.5 years. He turned 16 last week. My brother & his wife keep me away. My family doesn't need me. My "step kids" think I'm a monster. Lost a career, I've been on a bus for 2 years. I lowered my "bar" and hung with others who have no goals for anything but getting their next fix & drink.

Need I go on? Utter hopelessness. My lovers, all gone.

Hopeless and my heart kept beating. I didn't care. Know one else bothered, why should I????????

Life. It wouldn't let me die. I finally told Life something needed to change and I didn't know what to do.
Somehow, I didn't drink or use. One day, then another. On the fifth day, I got to a 7 am meeting. I had no money so I walked. I found a sponsor and got to gradually know some people.

I worked a 5th step yesterday. Then 6 & 7. I woke up today. I was "emotionally hungover" yet I began the day. All I know is I am not the same anxious person I was. I have 98 days in a row and everything is just different.

You can feel different, too! Hugs and more prayers sent your way
Great post sugarbear. Made me cry.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by edeneen View Post
yes it was exhausting, and i was happy, NOW I am just miiserable and hating myslf, I am at wits' end, I don't know what to do anymore...
Try again, and never, ever give up.