Notices

Opinions Wanted...........

Old 08-09-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opinions Wanted...........

Let's just say, someone I know in recovery took a percocet because she had a headache, despite not being prescribed them........Would that constitute using?

The way I see it, it does. If I drink one beer, that's using. If I smoke one joint, that's using.

Regardless of whatever types of aches and pains I may have.

To my understanding, unless PRESCRIBED by a doctor, all narcotic use would constitute using, and therefore the change of said person's sobriety date.

I was once stabbed nine times, and got prescribed Tylenol 3, which isn't even as powerful as percocets to my understanding, and guess what? I took ONE out of the whole bottle, because I was in so much pain, I literally thought I was going to die. I'm not looking for any medals though. What I'm getting at, is that if you're taking narcotics without being prescribed them, FOR A HEADACHE, I think that constitutes that you used.

Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning. I think it deends on what her DOC was. If she was addicted to percocet then clearly that is a relapse. If she's an alcoholic, I wouldn't think so. I don't think convicing her that she threw all her time away and has to start over willl help her at all. Our sobriety date is just a number and people feel great pride in saying I have x amount of days, months, years, etc... What's important is she doesn't fall down that "slippery slope" and start taking them daily.

My point is, you are probably "technically" right, but it may not be worth rocking the boat due to the potential damage it might cause her. I would just try and be very supportive at this time. See if she might need any help so she doesn't keep looking for an alternative way (percocet).

Just my opinion. Best of luck!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
Good morning. I think it deends on what her DOC was. If she was addicted to percocet then clearly that is a relapse. If she's an alcoholic, I wouldn't think so. I don't think convicing her that she threw all her time away and has to start over willl help her at all. Our sobriety date is just a number and people feel great pride in saying I have x amount of days, months, years, etc... What's important is she doesn't fall down that "slippery slope" and start taking them daily.

My point is, you are probably "technically" right, but it may not be worth rocking the boat due to the potential damage it might cause her. I would just try and be very supportive at this time. See if she might need any help so she doesn't keep looking for an alternative way (percocet).

Just my opinion. Best of luck!
I just ask this, because I met another guy who had YEARS of sobriety, and he was taking sleeping pills, and he sure changed his sobriety date. I guess ultimately, for me, it boils down to honesty.

If I were to drink one beer (which would never happen, lol) would I still be considered sober?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Reggie.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also Reggie, I've been to Indy a few times in my life. It was always very awesome there. I'd go to IMS for the races, and the people were always very hospitable. Great place you live in.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

I agree with RW. I assume though that this medication is prescription only? In which case it is illegal use as well?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

It seems to me that this is really none of your business, Squizz. It's his sobriety and his sobriety date, not yours.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well i think its up to the person who took it to decide, and as reggiewayne said, if said person was not abusing percocet, then whether or not its a prescription or not, or whether it changes the said person's sobriety date is all up to them?

For me, alcohol and previously weed, was drugs that i was abusing. So going back to any of those would reset my sobriety date. But then again, i couldn't possibly say that i am still sober after chasing the dragon or shooting lines of ketamine. But if i were to take sleeping pills to cure my insomnia, then i still see it as being sober. Guess at the end of the day its all up to the person who is doing it. After all, the sobriety date is only so that important to that person. What significance is that date to another person?

Aah well.. this is all confusing for me. I'm stopping now.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
It seems to me that this is really none of your business, Squizz. It's his sobriety and his sobriety date, not yours.
It's actually a "her", but I'll keep that in mind.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If she is taking it for pain and not for the buzz, I wouldn't consider it using. However, taking a percocet for a headache is quite extreme to me. That seems suspect. Unless it was a migraine headache. Taking a narcotic that was not prescribed is illegal.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I understand that it technically isn't your business from what OnlyTheTruth has said - but it is a legitimate question. If I were in that position I would be curious as well.

I am not sure it is a relapse of sobriety but as lpnangel said...percocet for a headache...a liiiiitle much - unless she suffers from extreme migrains and she was prescribed it...which you said she wasn't.

It's a tricky question actually - I am curious what others will say.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

I can't speak for others today. If I did that, I would have slipped & I don't know where that would leave me...would I drink? Today, I don't have to guess...85 days now!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Personally, I pay no attention whatsoever to how much "sober time" people have. I know of a few who are on the "marijuana maintenance" program, and they are regularly saying that they have been sober for "X" amount of time. Keeping track of other people's "sobriety" is a recipe for driving yourself insane. That said, if I had to rule on your hypothetical scenario, if she was never dependent on opiates, and she took a single percocet pill for the headache, and not to get high, then I would say she is OK.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-10-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: by request
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input. I was just wondering, because it just seems suspect to me. It instantly made me wonder what else she was hiding. Regardless, the only person's sobriety I need to worry about is my own. I guess that's just the bottom line.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

personally, I avoid narcotics and probably would even if I were in a lot of pain, but that is just me. I am an alcoholic and not a drug addict, and in AA and not NA, so if I took narcotics for pain or even smoked a joint, I wouldn't reset my sobriety date. I know plenty of people who do "marijuana maintenance" programs and I don't care what they do, honestly. I choose not to do that, but that's just me.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i believe the real bottom line here is

"to thine own self be ture"
Old 08-10-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
Personally, I pay no attention whatsoever to how much "sober time" people have. I know of a few on this forum who are on the "marijuana maintenance" program, and they are regularly saying that they have been sober for "X" amount of time. Keeping track of other people's "sobriety" is a recipe for driving yourself insane. That said, if I had to rule on your hypothetical scenario, if she was never dependent on opiates, and she took a single percocet pill for the headache, and not to get high, then I would say she is OK.
Hi AVRT, just curious, is "marijuana maintenance" for alcoholics similar to what methadone treatment is to a heroin addict? If yes, then I have tried this about 1 1/2 years back. And I have been less than successful. If there's some kind of 'high' in my mind, sooner rather than later, i'll be going back to the bottle. Lol...
Old 08-10-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Personally, if I used ANY substance to feel good, I would consider it a relapse. I will use a pain-pill only to get back to feeling normal (if such a thing exits).

Why? Because I know how my mind works. If a little bit is good - more is better. I am the kind of person who just has to push the envelope on every thing I pursue. Thank God sensory-deprivation tanks aren't addictive.

But then again, not everyone is like me.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This one hits home for me.
It does not matter what your DOC is. My DOC was alcohol and cocaine. That does not mean I can go out and use heroin when I am anxious. It doesn't work like that.
A drug is a drug is a drug is a drug.
Even when you are a recovering alcoholic and get surgery, you should mention to the Doctor you are an alcoholic. They will NOT give you pain killers (narcotics). It is too dangerous for our kind.
The percocet was not prescribed to her. That is a relapse. If I take an adderall, that is a flippin relapse. And the day I start thinking that is not a relapse is the day I am F*****.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am torn on this subject. I have seen people in AA go out because someone told them that they had to change their alcohol sobriety date because they started using drugs. My personal opinion and it is just that an opinion is that AA is for alcohol and NA is for drugs. Two separate things. I don't believe in a drug is a drug is a drug. I believe that if a person drinks alcohol then they should reset their sobriety date in AA and if a person uses then they need to reset their sobriety date in NA if they are a member of it and if they are not it is a good time to start. Using a prescription medication that is not prescribed to that person is using not only illegal but it is drug abuse. If her headache was so bad that she felt she needed a percocet then she needed to go to the emergency room and have a doctor treat and prescribe her the proper medication for her headache rather than taking what was not prescribed for her. But as I said this is just my opinion and the opinion of several others I have talked to in AA. Personally I don't believe in the marijuana maintenance program I feel that any drug use sets one up for drinking.