Notices

Ever been busted on Probation?

Old 07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Heathen

Yep, got busted.. went to jail. Again and again. I wasn't ready to quit.

Now that I've been sober for a while, I could care less about drug tests or breath tests, I'll pass 'em all every time. One of many recovery benefits.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Smacked,
did you do ETG or 5-panel testing by chance?
Old 07-27-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by psilyguy View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Mostly seems like random breath tests if they do show up, someone at the office told me they didn't see their PO for 3 months but didn't know if they do ETG tests. I still have the urge to drink when I get stressed.... I know I know.
Its amazing how when we are backed in a corner we suddenly care. Just sayin...
Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

One more thing, this will be the first time in over 30 years that I succesfully completed probation. Now thats amazes me...
Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Congrats! I'd just like to get through this with a casual drink here and there, sometimes my anxiety levels go crazy and that's all I can think about.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats! I'd just like to get through this with a casual drink here and there, sometimes my anxiety levels go crazy and that's all I can think about.
Why the heck would you want to use alcohol with anxiety when you will be in more anxiety when on probation? Stop playing around with your criminal record and do what the agreement says. You will feel better, less anxiety because you don't have to worry about drug test and you will get off probation early.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

For me, the anxiety and worry about the tests would not be worth chancing the drink. I would really think hard about the choices you are making before you follow through with them. Being in jail SUCKS.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Heathen

Mostly 5 panel because for many years alcohol was not my DOC.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I get ETG & occasionally 5 Panel. I can't tell you how many times I've taken the train home after testing knowing I'd likely failed, and making every bargain I could think of with the universe and a god I didn't even believe in to just not get caught and sent back to jail. Walking that tightrope was a desperate, nerve wracking hustle. Now that I'm sober, there's not even a second thought when I get called to test, I can be fairly certain that today I won't be arrested, and I save my worry for more important things.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
In Recovery

I feel like I'm wrapping myself up in a false reality. I know it is stupid and something gives me a thrill thinking that I can get away with a few drinks, but for how long is the question. I had 3 beers last night and told my wife no more, then today she stopped to buy smokes and I caved yet again and bought a 12 pack. I know my PO just wants me locked in the system for however long it takes so they can make more $$, why I'm playing with fire I have no idea, maybe I came here looking for stories that would scare me.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I feel like I'm wrapping myself up in a false reality. I know it is stupid and something gives me a thrill thinking that I can get away with a few drinks, but for how long is the question. I had 3 beers last night and told my wife no more, then today she stopped to buy smokes and I caved yet again and bought a 12 pack. I know my PO just wants me locked in the system for however long it takes so they can make more $$, why I'm playing with fire I have no idea, maybe I came here looking for stories that would scare me.
No judgement from this end as I did much the same, but if you keep chancing it, there's a very good chance you'll end up caught. I was put on probation after serving a jail sentence for an injury DUI accident, and kept on a pretty tight leash. Nonetheless, I picked up immediately, and focused instead on making sure that my last drink was always 3 days prior to when I expected to be tested. As it turned out, I wasn't able to hack that and I was back to drinking everyday pretty quickly. I became very familiar with the County Jail intake process.

Eventually I reached the point where I was/am facing serious time for the next infraction. Jail had gotten really old, and I'd had it with being paranoid about being dragged back there and with just being so screwed up. When I finally quit, I'd lost/thrown away an awful lot and was backed into a corner. I am now incredibly grateful for probation and all its hassles tho, because the fact that I couldn't stop and was willing, quite literally, to trade my freedom and future in exchange for a drink again and again was exactly what I needed to realize in order to get honest and seek sobriety... And sobriety's been a game changing relief.

Best of luck to you and be careful. The drink is not worth the jail time it may cost.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Maybe it would help to 'play the tape through' so to speak. I highly doubt that if you get busted, you'll think back and say "boy those 3 beers were SO worth it".

Course, if you're not ready to quit.. you're not.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
In Recovery

I thought about all this really hard last night, I like what Noble said, and I'm going to go for sobriety again... tonight will be the 48 hours mark. I did buy that 12 pack but gave it to my wife to drink at the neighbors house.

Today I feel much less stressed and not peeking out my window all the time looking for a PO to show up, which I think correlates with that sneaky behavior we all have as alcoholics. I'm too used to getting away with it, and hiding it from cops sounded like a challenge, but I would be a moron to think I can sneak my way out of it this time.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm going to go for sobriety again... tonight will be the 48 hours mark. I did buy that 12 pack but gave it to my wife to drink at the neighbors house.
Glad you made this call. In my experience, I got away with it again and again until I suddenly didn't, and it ended up being a loser's bargain given the stakes. At times it's really easy for me to get defiant and resentful and indignantly reach for a drink and feel justified - but if I take a step back in that moment and remember what the reality of getting nabbed would look like, well, it's a pretty simple call. Nothing more uncomfortable & humiliating than having to explain a relapse to a judge who hates your guts to begin with...

Best of luck of to you and stay strong!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

last year when i started my probation for the 3rd and final dui, i was still drinking as i always did. My first test in nov, i failed with a trace of benzo's.

And as far as drinking i failed once also on that first because i did not know excatly how our system worked in cleveland. so when i was called i went in a took the test it had been almost 55 hours since i drank needless to say i failed, cause mine are etg test.

I got three extra days in county plus 150 dollar fine for po violation. After that i learned that i could get away with not answering the phone for a couple days and calling them sayin i just got back , so then i could go test with having 90 hours or so. Never failed again but always freakin out about it. Now with still another 15 months to go i dont have worry that is the best feeling in all.

Soberity rocks
Old 07-28-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Tonight I went to the 3rd of 4 group therapy classes and it was reinforced that I'm not going to play the game with my PO. I met a guy that has bad back problems and while on probation he failed a field sobriety test (heel to toe) because of the nerves in his back, even though he tested clean on a breathalyzer they cited him for a DUI because they thought he was on something. After booking him in jail they did a blood test and he was sure that would clear him, until he learned the blood test came up missing. His PO cited him for a violation and kept him in jail for 88 days.

52 hours sober and feeling great! I gotta do this!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yep she is right

I've done the ETG tests before but it was a silly system where I could pick any day during the week and show up, I recall drinking a 12 pack on Sunday night and still passed on Wednesday, but I think it was out of sheer luck. Now that I'm officially on Probation I have to report once a month to meet the PO but he mentioned 'random screenings', it's been 5 weeks so far and nothing.

I know if I dont drink then obviously I have nothing to worry about, however going from a case a day to a couple a week is massive progress for me. I'm clean on drugs, and want 100% sobriety... just a bit of a struggle.
I'm on probation for DUI. Quit drinking for 10.5 months...thanks to this forum. I've taken 4 or 5 ETG's. Passed everyone. I quit drinking 72 hours before the test. I'm 55,, a bit fat and don't exercise much.

I enjoyed the 10.5 months the best...never worried about a UA and if fact was kinda happy to take them.