Notices

Loss of appetite?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loss of appetite?

I'm on day 10, again. One thing that I notice once I stop drinking, is that I have absolutely no appetite. I'm hungry at times throughout the day, but I don't "want" to eat anything. I eat a little at night, but less than half of what I used to eat. I used to like sweets at night, now one bite of ice cream makes me sick. I've lost close to 6lbs already, which is not all bad because they were extra, but I like to eat and now I don't enjoy it as much.

I started going to the gym in hopes that my appetite increases, but it hasn't worked and just makes me exhausted when getting up in the morning. I'm not going to stop exercising, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar things. I'm not depressed (been there before), I don't know what it is. I have a history of eating disorders so I wonder if its that in some form. Hmm.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

You also have to remember your on day 10 although it feels to us like a very long time when it comes to our mind, body & spirit its really not.

I don't know how long or what amount you used as this will play a role to.

It is always recommended to get a physical so maybe that will ease your mind some?

Hang in there it will get better
Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Our bodies are all different. My appetite is off the charts. I am eating everything in site. I have gained weight. It will level out with time. Your body is still healing. If you are concerned, you should call your doctor. Congrats on day 10
Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had very little appetite for probably the first 2 months. Try and make yourself eat some healthy food and take comfort in the fact that your appettite will come back and you will probably have an even greater appreciation for food when it does.

Congrats on 10 days!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am the opposite, I was ravenous the first week off booze, probably because most of my calories had come from alcohol and my body was craving real food and vitamins. Now I eat three/four times a day. It's weird, everyone's body is so different, and I am guessing you will get your appetite back soon. Protein shakes are a great way to get nutrition, calories, and some brands out there like Atkins, EAS, taste really good, too. Throw one in a blender with ice and fill up a big cup and sip on it all day. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Its not that I'm not hungry and I probably could eat everything in sight, I just have no desire to. I'm not concerned because another 5lbs off wouldn't be the worst thing in the world . I guess I just need time.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I lost my appetite for the first couple of weeks too. Everything I ate made me feel a bit icky, particularly sweet things. It evened out after a while and whilst I wasn't stuffing my face, I was appreciating the taste of things again. I've now lost 8 pounds, which I didn't need to but I don't look underweight, so I'm happy.

With regards to the exercise - go careful, girl! It's tempting to pound your body as a distraction, but your body is going through a lot right now. Something more gentle, like a leisurely swim or some yoga would be better for you at the moment (also good for the mind). Anything you do eat, make it healthy and nutritious, and it's okay to nibble throughout the day. You'll feel better soon! Keep going, very proud of you
Old 07-26-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear ya...I have no appetite whatsoever at all. I am hungry but I crave no foods at all and don't even feel like cooking. I definitely do not like eating breakfast {will try and drink a whey protein shake if I remember} and lunch isn't too bad...I am usually starving by the time I have to leave work but when I get to the house I just couldn't be bothered and I just don't want to eat anything. It's really bizarre. I haven't lost too much though, since...I did relapse over the weekend {that makes me eat like a pig} and I am on day 2. Again.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had lost weight in the last few months of drinking because my appetite was non-existant and the sugar in the alcohol was fuelling me. When I stopped drinking, thankfully my appetite returned and I could get back to my normal, healthy weight.

It might be an idea to talk to your dr if this continues.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Have you gotten blood work done; ie checking iron levels since you have put down the booze? I was severely anemic when I quit; the booze robbed my body of nutrients and my "ability" to eat. I think it was because my blood needed iron among other nutrients.

I would talk to your doc about this.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Im on day 14 and have no appetite either
Old 07-26-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok, so it's not just me. Bayliss that's exactly how I feel!!! No desire for anything food related...I will go to the doctor as soon as I can take time at work...
Old 07-26-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4MyMel View Post
Thanks everyone. Its not that I'm not hungry and I probably could eat everything in sight, I just have no desire to. I'm not concerned because another 5lbs off wouldn't be the worst thing in the world . I guess I just need time.
4MyMel,
All the booze had me so out of touch and basically unable to "listen" to the dietary needs (or cravings) my body required for healthy survival.

And , for me, not anesthetizing that "voice" is one of the greatest benefits of sobriety. If your body tells you, it's hungry; ........you need to listen.

Have you heard of HALT ? The concept is:
Don't allow yourself,or avoid getting
Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired

For years, (one of the many ways) I abused alcohol was to drink as a substitute for "food" ..... most reasonable people hate to drink on an empty stomach, but I learned early that's EXACTLY what to do for the desired effect !?!

Losing a little weight now or later won't matter any. Address what's going on mentally about the food thing; ......just try your best to "listen" to what your body needs.

For me, it made a difference, and allowed me to get out of the cycle of abusing my body on a daily basis with horrendous nutritional choices.

i must've had a hell of a Vit C deficit those first weeks/months because of my daily craving for citrus. Couldn't wait to cut up grapefruit, oranges, ....even lemons squeezed with ice water.

Take care,
Old 07-27-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hear ya 4MyMel...yesterday I wasn't even going to bother making dinner as I had absolutely no appetite or desire to cook or eat for that matter until my boyfriend kept bugging me about what we were going to have for supper.
I forced myself to eat and ended up feeling sick afterwards, bad idea.
I would much rather just sit and eat raw cauliflower or fava beans...it's so weird! I have no desire for deep fried foods or anything that I used to crave like crazy when I did drink.
Tonight I will just tell my boyfriend to pick something up for himself...I would be very content with just eating a tomato. Lol.
But, I do know that I have to watch myself and still make sure I am pumping myself full of nutrients and whatnot as I am suffered from eating disorders and don't want to ricochet from addiction to E.D.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In my first two weeks I gained 22lbs - this was a very good thing. My appetite was voracious and I ate too many sweets.

About 3 months ago, in addition to trying to eat better, I started taking vitamins - especially B vitamins. Since then, I've had very little craving for sweets and my appetite resembles that of any other "normal" person.

Vitamin deficiency is something many of us have to compensate for and it can lead to very dire circumstances if we don't.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4MyMel View Post
I'm on day 10, again. One thing that I notice once I stop drinking, is that I have absolutely no appetite. I'm hungry at times throughout the day, but I don't "want" to eat anything. I eat a little at night, but less than half of what I used to eat. I used to like sweets at night, now one bite of ice cream makes me sick. I've lost close to 6lbs already, which is not all bad because they were extra, but I like to eat and now I don't enjoy it as much.

I started going to the gym in hopes that my appetite increases, but it hasn't worked and just makes me exhausted when getting up in the morning. I'm not going to stop exercising, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar things. I'm not depressed (been there before), I don't know what it is. I have a history of eating disorders so I wonder if its that in some form. Hmm.
i'm going through the exact same thing. i am on day 38 without beer. i don't have an appetite either. i'm too skinny to lose any more weight. in addition, i only want sweets. for a while i was taking vitamins, and i ate some. but i can't take them on an empty stomach.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Fancy

maybe try some simple sugars - fruit etc - rather than the complex processed ones - stock up on salads etc?

D
Old 12-15-2017, 02:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Call me daft but when I was like that I would watch cooking programs like masterchef , come dine with me , man vs food etc etc .