Notices

What keeps you sober?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Living with clarity to listen, follow and realize my path and my dreams in life - without dragging a ball and chain around for the rest of my life.
Being a productive, responsible member of society. Doing things right, being true to myself and others. Being true to my word...living without fear, resentment and worry.
Appreciating people for who they are, they're battles, downfalls and differences. Appreciating a rainbow, a rainfall, the starry sky...seeing life in a new realm of appreciation.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I would like to live deliberately.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Having the energy, clarity of mind and time to work on my fiction and poetry, as well as my attempts at art with colored pencil has been a major help.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

What keeps me sober? Knowing that I have a choice. I can either be the way I was, or I can be the way I'd like to be.

I'm still in the transition faze, but it's been rewarding. I worked a 50 hour work-week this week, on the midnight shift. Many people I work with come to work drunk or under the influence of narcotics. They keep me sober.

Seeing people downtown living on the streets. They keep me sober.

My family keeps me sober.

There's PLENTY of reasons to stay sober, but there isn't many valid reasons to pick up a drink. (Or drug)

It just doesn't work for me.

Not to mention, things are getting better and better everyday.

Why go back after all the hard work?

It's like being in a bad relationship: Once you break up, there's basically no point in getting back together. You broke up for a reason. (Usually a good one.)
Old 08-06-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Another thing that keeps me sober, is seeing people who had long-term sobriety, and pick up again. It's usually a pretty fast ride, downhill.

I know this, because I've been there myself. It ain't pretty.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Being able to remember what happened when I watch movies
Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by KailaeBlaze View Post
What keeps you sober?
The same thing that kept me drunk:
ME !
Old 08-06-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Nice point, AVRT!

Reading the book Games People Play, by Erik Berne has been a big help, in which he views alcoholism as a kind of life-script, a psychological game we fall into.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

What keeps me sober? The thought of another drink and the chaos that will follow.

Today I am not feeling especially happy qite flat really but in a minute I going to get up, get on my bike and go out. Before I would get up and get a drink and the madness would start over again. i hate that going around in circles feeling.
Cai Hong
Old 08-07-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I quit to save my mental health. I knew I had only three options ahead of me left: early death, jail or institutionalization somewhere.

But, best decision I ever made. I got my life and my soul back. I remember a very early AA meeting, an older fellow who had been homeless saying what a blessing it was for him now, to have a cupboard well stocked with food. Something so simple that most of us take for granted. In my second year sober, I'm still discovering so many things about life and recovery. It's a process I find fascinating. It's not all great, there are still ups and downs, but I get the feeling for the first time in a long time that I'm making some actual growth. It's not the same as these great extremes, the big peaks and lows of addiction, but it's good and rewarding in its own way.

I finally woke up that everything I thought alcohol was giving for me or doing for me, it was gradually eroding or taking away. I drank to self medicate depression and anxiety, ended up exacerbating those problems. Drank to feel more confident, ended up drinking all by myself because could no longer socially function. Drank to feel more 'in control' and 'to function', became increasingly out of control and dysfunctional as time went on, etc. It was all an illusion, what was the point?

It's still hard to quit though, because it becomes a self chasing cycle that's difficult to break. But it's so worth it in the long run.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michelle01 View Post
I quit to save my mental health. I knew I had only three options ahead of me left: early death, jail or institutionalization somewhere.

But, best decision I ever made. I got my life and my soul back. I remember a very early AA meeting, an older fellow who had been homeless saying what a blessing it was for him now, to have a cupboard well stocked with food. Something so simple that most of us take for granted. In my second year sober, I'm still discovering so many things about life and recovery. It's a process I find fascinating. It's not all great, there are still ups and downs, but I get the feeling for the first time in a long time that I'm making some actual growth. It's not the same as these great extremes, the big peaks and lows of addiction, but it's good and rewarding in its own way.

I finally woke up that everything I thought alcohol was giving for me or doing for me, it was gradually eroding or taking away. I drank to self medicate depression and anxiety, ended up exacerbating those problems. Drank to feel more confident, ended up drinking all by myself because could no longer socially function. Drank to feel more 'in control' and 'to function', became increasingly out of control and dysfunctional as time went on, etc. It was all an illusion, what was the point?

It's still hard to quit though, because it becomes a self chasing cycle that's difficult to break. But it's so worth it in the long run.
Michelle,

This is my first post, as I just joined this forum today.

Your post resonated with me, as it fits my situation and condition. I was a social drinker, to feel "less anxious, more confident", and this false confidence did allow me to charm the ladies and obtain business success.

People thought I had this amazing life -- traveling the globe, writing books, starting companies. All the while - drinking on a "social" level.

Major crises occurred within the last few years --- deaths of parents, breakup with a "soulmate" - which caused me to indulge in alcohol, even during the day, to dull the anguish and sorrow. No one realized that I was imbibing daily, as I kept in great shape and active in sports . Even winning tennis matches, while under the influence of alcohol.

Alcohol nearly killed me in April. Or rather, I should say, I nearly did. It did a number on my system.

And now I'm trying to chart a new path. I've not been sober for long. But I believe I can conquer this addiction and extinguish my demons.

I've never been to a meeting, although I know many people from AA.

I wish you well, and may you find the magic of life!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

What's keeping me sober? Going to be last night, thinking about all the possibilities of tomorrow, the next day and my entire future...waking up this morning, FEELING GREAT, and thinking about all the possibilities of today, tomorrow and my entire future.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I've been keeping sober with the awareness of how much better & healthier I feel not drinking. Time was slipping away either drunk or hungover, and it was getting worse, what a waste! Also, this site has been a tremendous help. I check in daily, read a lot, and post some.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

The "things" that keep me sober day to day (albeit I'm very early in my recovery) vary.

At the moment, I'm obsessing about a disasterous haircut from hell that is leaving alcohol as the furthest thing from my mind.

I will say that when the craving strikes, I try to think about the exhilaration and happiness I feel when I wake up the next day knowing I beat the voice in my head!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

What keeps me sober?

Going to AA, having a home group, a sponser, working the steps to the best of my ability, and most of all my HP who I call God.

I do all of this one day at a time.

Am I happy? Yes.

I can now enjoy life outside of AA with my family, friends, and all the other things I enjoy in life.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by KailaeBlaze View Post
What keeps you sober? What helps you to have the strength to not do your D.O.C? What little "highs" do you find in life that keep sobriety worth it?
i honestly don't know exactly how i stay sober. unless you count the fact that i have turned my life over to the care of god.. (as i do Not understand him/her/it) as i continue to stay sober ODAAT.. my life continues to slowly improve.. i have made much progress and i know if i drank so much as a single beer i would have to start all over again at square one. i don't want that. so.. onward into another sober day!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

What keeps me sober?

Total loathing of hangovers
Old 08-08-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Ops double post.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Knowing of the long-term depression that comes with drinking.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Not drinking regardless come hell or high water works for me. Your experience may be varied. Viva the differences.

Oh...also not placings alcohol in close approximation of my mouth helps greatly too.