Notices

What keeps you sober?

Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this thread. I enjoyed reading it.

I love that I can have a conversation with someone and actually listen to what they are saying...and care.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

I awoke from drunkennes to discover a 35-year old narcissitic, immature, emotionally-constipated doosh.

The realization I could have lived my entire life like that does much to me sober.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by KailaeBlaze View Post
1. What keeps you sober?
2. What helps you to have the strength to not do your D.O.C?
3. What little "highs" do you find in life that keep sobriety worth it?
1. In my case, sobriety is a by-product of being spiritually fit.

2. I have zero strength to not drink. I never did learn how to not drink. Not drinking has nothing to do with why I am sober today.

3. The benefits of recovery are peace of mind, joy and sense of purpose. In fact, when I feel a sense of purpose, I don't need alcohol, drugs, entertainment, material stuff or companionship. I'm OK with myself - by myself.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
They tell me about six months until the alcoholic fog lifts. That's what's driving me now at 2 months sober. After that, I don't know. Perhaps a happy life.

I'm at a little after 6 months and things are starting to change for the better, in perhaps a more noticeable way than before. It's like my head is exploding (in a good way) with ideas, thoughts and observations.

Before I stayed sober because I wanted to get to the point where the detox process really started to end. And wow, now that I'm this far I think that if it keeps getting better I will never go back. Just feeling this good is incentive enough.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i'm able to cope now with things, instead of supressing them....
Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
The anti-aging effect ...

I haven't drunk booze for about 2.5 years. The other day, I met up with a bunch of guys I used to hang out with ten years ago.

Many I hadn't seen in person for a good 3-4 years or so. With the exception of one or two guys, everyone else was sporting some kind of massive beer gut along with a large beer mug in hand - and it wasn't pretty. Fat jowly faces to boot. Almost everyone had played football back in high school and some in college. When the voices got too loud and drunk, I said my good-byes and headed home.

I reckon I was the only guy there who looked as he did back in 2000... pre-9/11. And, I know 100% that it was kicking the booze habit that made the difference.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am sober since 5th July 2011. ( 12 days )

What keeps me sober ? The taste of normal life ... I had forgotten what a normal life meant. Normal sleep, normal dinner and normal mornings ,feeling fresh .

I also get lots of time to myself to focus on my hobby, my personal finances and above all, I am thinking less of myself and my master alcohol. I am thinking more of others now. Alcohol , once my master is my enemy number one. As long as it is away from me, i would not do what I did under its influence. i. e,
Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

At first it was because drinking wasn't making my life any better.

Two years into sobriety and I feel...ho hum. The ho hum (and worse) is depression. I drank to get relief from depression. Drinking created a different set of problems. Now I deal with my illness...whether or not the meds help. It sucks. It's tough.

Why am I still sober? Sometimes I don't know. I know that my life is mine to live how I see fit. I can and will do whatever I want.

I think I'm still sober because I want to get out of this hole that I'm in and the last thing I need to do is fill it up with booze. Or maybe it's because I'm too afraid to take a step back. I feel like I'm in the middle of something...stuck in the buttcrack of life. I'd like to get out. It stinks. Perhaps there is a better part? I won't know if I give up.

It's not what keeps me sober, but who. The who is me.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

For me, improved health, deliverance from anxiety, spiritual connection.....

Plus:
My younger sister is going through a divorce from an active addict.
Every day I'm sober is a day I am available to support her.

Two worthy goals that keep me going....
I never know when her calls are going to come with a request for help. If I'm sober all the time, I'm always ready to pick up the phone. This feels really good.

Every day I'm working on my own codie issues is a day I'm more grounded and clear to be of assistance.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For the past 22 years....my fantastic life has happened because of
God and libing in the AA Steps...
Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For me picking up means I will die.

What keeps me sober......knowing I have a choice.......and my higher power.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am only on day 7 (again) but what keeps me sober is love of life, fear of death. Enjoyment in using my gift of compassion for others. The prospect of earning my daughters respect and admiration again. Knowing that life looks so much better through clean glasses and not a bottle of vodka.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am on Day 1 but this is why I am here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pretty_emma.jpg (62.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 07-18-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Adorable.

You can do this cleareyes. We can do this. We are not alone.

-SD
Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cleareyes View Post
I am on Day 1 but this is why I am here.
Great reason. Beautiful. Hang in there. You can do it
Old 07-19-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

I'd love to be able to say that my wife and kids, family and friends keep me sober, but they were never enough to get me sober or keep me sober before. It's a benefit of my sobriety that I'm able to be a better person for them, but what keeps me sober is myself, with the help of AA, SR and my Higher Power. Breaking it down a little further than that, the happiness and motivation I have for life now keeps me sober. I don't want to give that up.

--Fenris.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Knowing if I drink, my life won't progress... I'll stall myself wherever I'm at (physically, emotionally, spiritually) and have little chance of doing the things I want to do in life. And that my life will most likely get worse. Also, I'm ready to add people back into my life... it's lonely trying to do everything on my own.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I know this sounds terrible, but right now what keeps me sober is caffeine (especially Red Bull), and cigarettes. I am only 10 days dry. But WHILE I am outside smoking my cigarette, I do like to think about next year, and what little goals I hope to reach by then. Long-term, my kids and husband are what I pray will keep me permanently sober, because I don't want my husband and kids to end up without their wife/mom someday.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Such a mess...Coalese

Oh wow! I just rediscovered this thread! Those are some great answers! Keep them coming, im trying to get ready to sober up myself and these help!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Maturity, my health and my family keeps me sober. The "highs" or benefits are too many to mention, but waking up everyday feeling great is a big one. The realization that I could enjoy my life sober is probably the biggest high of them all.