Notices

alcohol & the media

Old 07-09-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Hi,

I grew up in the 50's, when male movie stars ALWAYS "needed" a drink in every stressful situation.

Booze = expected reward for "hard work"

Just watch any 50's movie and you will see what I mean.

FT
LOL... I guess a girl (me) who grew up in the 80's & 90's got this same message. Guess I was James Bond or John Wayne in a previous life.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wonder if the process advertizers use is to create a little fear with deception.
Beautiful young folks having the time of their lives drinking (whatever !?!) product.

As a recovering sugar junkie, i see the same methods used with all the sugary crap pedaled. They never use obese little kids or adults in those ads either.

Whether it's booze or sugar, everyone's getting healthier and happier by the day !!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
I think the point here is that it is an error for the media to glamorize drinking. Maybe there are millions who can and do drink without becoming alcoholics.
in my experience most people who drink wouldn't fit some definitions of alcoholic, but they'd have a damned hard time stopping completely and they cannot associate celebration or a breakup or the weekend without alcohol playing a significant part, and i think it's these people who are being lured in by the constant representations of booze as glamour, relaxation, celebration and so on.

walk past any retaurant and they leave 2 things on the table in full view, the wine glasses and the bread stix, 'coincidentally' a lot of people are addicted on some level to alcohol and to carbs... now, why don't they leave a little jar of olives, or some fresh sparkly water out? because no b*gger ever got addicted to those!

it's purely to spark up cravings, it's incredibly cynical.

debs
Old 07-10-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I guess feeling jealous of people who can drink and not be alcoholic is expected. I just need to remember I am not one of those people. I have proven that to myself enough to be convinced of that fact. I have no more doubts about that so now with that established in my head, I think I have a chance at recovery. Let day 12 begin!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
I use to have a problem with it but it's part of life. Personal I think a lot of people on this topic is not upset about the media glamorizes alcohol but that fact that you can't be part of the experience anymore.
i think in my case i'm angry that they lied to me, all through childhood i was soaking this imagery in and it was utter bs. obviously i'm the only one responsible for creating and maintaining my own probblem, but still alcohol is heavily promoted to be something that only a small minority of people ever actually experience it as, which is a casual 'take it or leave it' deal that enhances life.

jmo.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ETA

I am one who romanticizes drinking but is it my fault or the advertisers?

I think much of this is an issue with advertising in general. All the sugar, processed foods, fast food, toys/candy marketed directly to children (so they can pester their parents)... Advertising is a moral grey zone.

But is it their fault or is it our responsibility to see past the advertising company ploys? Or are we also looking at an issue with society in general? OH and what about the lobbyists for these industries who put a hell of a lot of effort into influencing laws and bills that might negatively affect how companies can advertise or do business.

Have you see the photos for the new cigarette packs?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ETA View Post
I think much of this is an issue with advertising in general. All the sugar, processed foods, fast food, toys/candy marketed directly to children (so they can pester their parents)... Advertising is a moral grey zone.

But is it their fault or is it our responsibility to see past the advertising company ploys? Or are we also looking at an issue with society in general?
every saturday the tv is full of sports and the horse racing at least is 99% about gambling, with the odds on the horses being very important, i've never gambled that much (odd lottery ticket now and then) but my first boss's dad killed himself due to massive gambling debts, so while most of us probably overlook that (and that almost every high street has at least one bookies) that's another thing that pervades our culture, and then you'll get imagery of horse races on tv as glamourous and a jet-set lifestyle.

there are many things wrong with our society and the saturation advertising of potentially lethal addictions is among them imo.

debs
Old 07-10-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I could care less what the media promotes... We all know they sensationalize anything. Why get our panties in a wad about alcohol in particular?

This is coming from someone who hasn't subscribed to cable my entire adult life...