Notices

Cost of a DUI

Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cost of a DUI

I thought this was a revealing article, happening a lot across the nature and in my neigborhood. By the grace of God and my guardian angel I never got one but I should have gotten many.

DUI: The $10,000 ride home - 1 - alcohol & cars - MSN MoneyDUI: The $10,000 ride home - 1 - alcohol & cars - MSN Money
Old 07-07-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post, I've also been fortunate never to get a DUI, and this is just another good reason why I never want to drink again.

I know people in AA who have gotten multiple DUI's, the costs of addtional DUI's must be huge!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

My 2nd cost me about $20,000.00 (adding everything up)

...but, I'm one of the lucky ones. I got away without seriously hurting or killing anyone and I'm sober now.

Everybody's sobriety comes at a cost, but with dui's, the cost is much higher and easier to spot.

Kjell~
Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
$20,000 !!! Dear lord !
Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
This is the worst of it, though, the lingering effects:

# No drunks wanted in the cockpit or the ER. If you're a doctor, stockbroker, airline pilot, lawyer or nurse, a DUI conviction could affect the status of your professional license, Oberman said.

# It's not good for the résumé. A DUI lingers on your criminal record for employers to see if they do a background check, harming your future job prospects. In Washington state, a DUI conviction stays on your driving record for 15 years, and an employer can ask for and receive that information. And a deferred prosecution, in which you're not convicted, stays on your record forever.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ETA

WOW. Thank you for yet another reminder why I should NEVER drink. It was only a matter of time before I got one.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

My very first DUI cost me $3500 and I used to live in MI. Only reason it is not much higher : I didn't have bail when first arrested - just sobered up and let go, my car didn't get towed, I never did clear up my license once it was suspended, when I did go to jail it was at sentencing so no bail there, didn't pay insurance rates or pay to have a lock put on my car as I couldn't afford the insane costs to get my license and be insured, etc etc etc.

I hit a mailbox, thank goodness I didn't hit someone

Had these things been paid for my costs would have been close to 14,000. Not to mention even having moved to Chicago, I won't easily find a job - at all. DUI coupled with a felony and several other charges would prevent me from being employed easily if at all.

Thanks for this post, maybe it will be eye opening for someone!

-Jess
Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post. It reminds me how important it is to maintain recovery one day at a time.