Notices

Going to Inpatient Alcohol Detox Soon - Experiences?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to Inpatient Alcohol Detox Soon - Experiences?

Hi SR,

I posted last week inquiring about detoxing without being under doctor supervision because I don't have health insurance. I tried for several days to taper off alcohol, and that didn't work. Not because I drank more and more as the days went by (I did 6 beers, 5 beers, 4 beers etcetera) but I was scared it wasn't going to work in the end. I was still experiencing withdrawal symptoms, that did lessen day by day, but I had to calm them down with Xanax - yet another addictive substance!

I called around, like some suggested (Thank you!:ghug3) and was able to find a place that does medical detox for a very cheap price because it's on the county dollar. I've done outpatient detox before, but never inpatient. Apparently they don't allow that here in Los Angeles, but I've done it in NYC. Probably a good idea, because those drugs make you sleepy! I fell asleep all week at my desk! Now I'm unemployed and free to spend a week or so in a facility.

I'd like your experiences, especially from those that have done it at the cheap, non-celebrity non-fancy recovery centers. I've been uninsured before and boy, is there a difference in what your experience is like with the medical care system.

I'd love to hear your stories, and when I come back, I would like to share mine if it would help anyone.

Weinerdog
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I didn't go to an inpatient detox and I live in Canada, so can't offer information for you, but I wish you well, and I think it's good that you are continuing to seek support.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi!

From my experience they give you medication to keep your blood pressure down and monitor your vital signs. I was kept comfortable but not doped up.

You are doing the right thing. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You mean they don't give you medication to control the withdrawal symptoms? From my experience with outpatient, they checked my blood pressure/hand shaking every day, but I was given Librium as well so I wouldn't experience the withdrawal symptoms - they can be quite scary and potentially lethal.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

The place I went detoxs the alcoholics with phenobarbital. It didn't really affect me very much (definitely didn't feel all doped-up -- maybe a little more chatty than usual), but some people on it were stumbling and bumbling like they'd just walked out of a long night at the bar. Opiate addicts were given suboxone (sp?).

--Fenris.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My experience at a county facility - they gave me librium, and I was extremely comfortable, not sick at all. More importantly, I was away from any source of alcohol at the time, which was exactly what I had to do. I couldn't screw it up if I wasn't near a store or bar.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm new, but have just done detox for benzos.

It's kinda like jail with nurses I think.....

They went through my things, and took anything with alcohol, like perfume and hand sanitiser.

Nothing sharp or dangerous.

For alcoholics, they were given valium to manage the symptoms. They check your vitals, and will know if you've smuggled something in. No phones, they had a phone to call rehabs and psychs and doctors and a payphone for personal calls.

We had AA and NA and relapse prevention and info on gathering a support network. They make sure you have a plan for after you get out. GL
Old 07-07-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oops! I guess I meant to say that high blood pressure was my withdrawal symptom. They gave me Ativan for that and it took about 2 days and then it was completely normal.

I was there for a total of 4 days. The place I went was not at all like jail. They had therapy groups, meetings, tv, phones, decent food and you could bring books.

Any place is going to be better than being home alone freaking out and feeling like crap and risking your life though.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I few years back I went to a detox center and got some information. I didn't do the program because it was too expensive but I ask about withdrawn and death when you stop drinking at that moment and they told me that tapering off alcohol will just keep withdraws worst. If your going to go to a detox then go now but tapering off alcohol it's not a smart thing to do.

I'm not a medical doctor going to see one is more important but if your going to detox at home then vitamin B1 orange juice and rest/sleep is the key to recovery from binge drinking.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The best resources for recovery info can be found by attending your local AA or NA meetings...
I hear about them often....so that is my suggestion.

They also might give you a way to continue to live clean and sober...AA did for me.

Last edited by CarolD; 07-15-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think what helped me most was having other poor saps around working through the same doo doo. The best people I've ever met were on the psych and detox wards. My best to you friend.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was given meds for high bp, plus valium and an anti-seizure drug (I can't tell you the names). They took a blood sample, urine sample, xrays, etc. IV to rehydrate me plus I was very low on trace minerals like potassium, magnesium, etc. and got these through the IV. They checked my vitals regularly as I detoxed plus more meds. 4 tough days but infinitely more bearable than doing it alone.

I got visits from 2 AA guys (I knew them both, one was a former drinking buddy) while I was there.

I did not have insurance so they billed me. Was about $8k total. I paid it off in a year just by not going to the bar. Don't ever let lack of insurance keep you from getting medical care.