Notices

Seriously am I the only one?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I don't recall ever blacking out, but I certainly drank to the point of passing out regularly. Someone posted about their GF a few days ago, and it sounded similar.

That said, once upon a time, many years ago, I used to "binge" every so often, then more often, then it was every weekend, then every day after work and weekends, and then simply all day every day. At some point in the progression, I noticed that my personality was being warped, which did not happen before. Like Jekyll and Hyde, as they say.

If you can't stop drinking before blacking out or passing out, I advise knocking it off for good, or you may be in for quite a nasty surprise in the years ahead. If you think it is bad now, just wait.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You say that four out of five times drinking are alright. What happens when that fifth time becomes the time that you get into serious trouble? When I quit for good 18 months ago I knew I still had some drinking left in me but wasn't at all sure I had more recovery left in me. And I refused to take the chance that the next drunk would be my last. DUI, death, injury, legal trouble, fines, jail time... the damn drink just isn't worth the risk. I don't care if 99 out of 100 drinking times were ok, it's that one time that could do me in and I'm not throwing my life away for a toxic liquid. It just ain't worth it. I've got a lot more living to do and can't do it from jail or the morgue.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

As others have said, this alcohol thing is very progressive, and sooner or later it's going to get the very best of you. Of course, it's best to quit sooner, but some folks just don't seem to be ready to do so until the darkest of hours is upon them. I was one of those that just didn't get it until it was almost too late. Now I just think of alcohol as the "poison" that it really is: nothing more or nothing less.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

haha People should admit that there was some awesome things about using. It takes little or no work to get into a space of complete freedom and for me that was pretty cool to have instant fun when I was like 18-24. From 24-29 i just began the death spiral and I came to accept I can't control the beast anymore. Sometimes sobriety sucks, sometimes using sucks, sometimes life sucks, sometimes all of these are awesome. For me, I just couldn't do it anymore or live with the fact that I was a slave to it. If I make mistakes now I don't bury myself over it, I am trying my best, when I was heavily drugged, I couldn't say I was trying my best.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You are definitely not the only one! Great thread, much written I needed to read. Peace