Notices

Non-alcoholic beer?

Old 06-19-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Non-alcoholic beer?

I bought a six pack of non-alcoholic beer two weeks ago thinking that at least I could have the "feeling" of having a beer on the deck on a warm summer afternoon. The theory sounded great but I've had only 3 of them since I bought them. They don't taste bad but of course don't taste terrific either.

Thoughts on whether it's a bad idea to have a "fake" drink like this? Does it just reinforce the association with beer that I need to break?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...0-na-beer.html
Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i think most non-alcoholic beers actually have about 0.5% alcohol in them. (not sure if that's a point of concern)... to me orange juice always tasted better anyway than any beer on any day. or vitamin water... a lot more beneficial than beer calories.

that being said, when i tried to quit before i did enjoy O'Douls Amber.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the fact that I wasn't really a beer drinker is why they are still sitting in the fridge (along with a few actual beers which are my hubby's or leftover from friends).

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

I think this is really an individual think. Non-alcoholic beer never bothered me, but I have rarely had one either. They do contain a minute amount of alcohol, about the same as in a glass or orange juice. Alcohol in very small percentages is contained in some fruit juice. I think for some this may be a big trigger, but for others have no effect at all. Just tread carefully.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is what I said in the last thread about NA beers (without retyping)....the process of sobriety is to change your habits so you don't drink. By drinking NA beer (I think) you are NOT changing anything except the alcohol content. For me, drinking NA beer would be a downhill snowball. It wouldn't do enough for me and I'd want 'that feeling'...eventually. Maybe not today or tomorrow but you can bet your sweet patooties that one day it would happen. That line would be crossed and I'd be right back where I was. But who knows when and where that line is.
I don't drink anything that even looks like a beer -prefer soda in a bottle not can and don't buy any 'juices' in a replicating wine bottle. Like those 'sparkling apple ciders'. I think it's just wrong (for me) to try and copy a habit that just about ruined my life.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why would you drink a NA beer, because you like the taste of beer?

********. I like the taste of pepsi but I don't drink a whole case of it. If you are an alcoholic you don't drink beer for the taste you drink it for the effect.

You still have alcoholic thinking if you want a NA beer on a warm afternoon. Lemonade or sweet tea is just as refreshing.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I had an NA beer I would have to change my sobriety date.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

like I said on the other thread Anna linked to:

I was a beer drinker.

Personally, anything that looks like beer, tastes like beer, and even comes in a can like beer, and feels like a beer in my hand with the condensation on the outside and all....

for me, I'd be indulging in some pretty dangerous old behaviours.

I tried moderating with NA beer at the end of my drinking days - I drank them like I would a beer...after 6 rapidfire cans, all I got was a bloated stomach and an insanely powerful overwhelming desire to try the 'real' thing....

from me

D
Old 06-19-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
********. I like the taste of pepsi but I don't drink a whole case of it.
I do...
Old 06-19-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't like the taste of beer so I don't buy the stuff.

My Step Dad bought me some once. It's still sitting at my Mom's place.

I'd rather have some iced tea to be honest.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You will not get drunk on it. Your body will not process the beer fast enough to get a buzz. You will get sick before getting drunk on that stuff. I know people who had drinking problems and stop drinking beer/liquor but would have non-alcohol beer once in a while. It's more of the thought process of the taste of beer that you could go back to regular beer and not the small amount of alcohol in it. Personal I hate non-alcohol beer. The after taste of it just taste like sh*t.

It's truly up to you if you want to do that route but you better be mental ready for it because you could go back to square one.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've tried Becks non-alcoholic. Just so I had something to hold at a party (and could avoid questions). It didn't make me want a real beer, but it really is a waste of money.