Notices

NA Beer?

Old 06-18-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA Beer?

For those of you who like(d). Do you think it's ok to drink NA beer when trying to maintain sobriety or do you think the flavor would refresh your memory of the old days and the temptation would make you want to move on to real the real thing?

I know there are no written rules (at least to my knowledge) so I guess this is more of an opinion question.

I've got a few NA's in fridge that sound good right about now but that question lingers in the back my mind, should I or shouldn't I?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

NA beer contains alcohol.

For me, it would also be about the process. I once tried a bottle of NA wine and it just felt so wrong to me.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

NA beer and NA Wine can be a very slippery slope.

Pour them out, give them away.

Really NOT a good idea in early sobriety.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 06-18-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Laurie. This subject comes up all the time and there ought to be a sticky on it IMHO.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you have to ask, IMO, probably best to avoid it. The idea that you "have a few" in the fridge that sound pretty good right now... Hmmmmmm... IDK.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like tempting fate to me, I would ditch it down the drain.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was a beer drinker.

Personally, anything that looks like beer, tastes like beer, and even comes in a can like beer, and feels like a beer in my hand with the condensation on the outside and all....

for me, I'd be indulging in some pretty dangerous old behaviours.

I tried moderating with NA beer at the end of my drinking days - I drank them like I would a beer...after 6 rapidfire cans, all I got was a bloated stomach and an insanely powerful overwhelming desire to try the 'real' thing....

from me

D
Old 06-18-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was a wino who never drank to 'savor' or 'appreciate' wine, I drank to get drunk. So for me, there's no point to drinking NA wine. Besides, it could very well tempt me to go back to the real thing for the buzz. I won't chance it.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with least. I drank to catch a buzz. NA beer is a waste of time in that regard and I'm afraid it would only trigger me to drink the real thing.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't do it! Non-Alcoholic beer does have alcohol in it.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Regardless if it has alittle alcohol or not -the process of sobriety is to change your habits so you don't drink. By drinking NA beer (I think) you are NOT changing anything except the alcohol content. For me, drinking NA beer would be a downhill snowball. It wouldn't do enough for me and I'd want 'that feeling'...eventually. Maybe not today or tomorrow but you can bet your sweet patooties that one day it would happen. That line would be crossed and I'd be right back where I was. But who knows when and where that line is.
I don't drink anything that even looks like a beer -prefer soda in a bottle not can and don't buy any 'juices' in a replicating wine bottle. Like those 'sparkling apple ciders'. I think it's just wrong (for me) to try and copy a habit that just about ruined my life.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not for me... I drink white wine... I dont have grape juice... once a glass of apple juice was a trigger due to the colour...For me. I would question why I wanted fake grog... theres too many great tasting non alcohol drinks out there for me
Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My recovery is based on being honest with myself and others

If I delibertly drank or ate food containing alcohol...I would be compelled to re start my sobriety....
Old 06-19-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Not all NA beer has alcohol in it. Some brands have 0.0% ABV. None. Zero. Less than orange juice.

I would list brands to prove this, but a quick search of past NA beer threads on SR would seem to suggest that is a no-no on this board.

That said, I personally see no purpose in drinking beer without alcohol in it, and some people do seem to be "triggered" to go get the real thing by playing the NA beer game.