Notices

try # 3,745

Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

try # 3,745

i can't seem to beat this thing. my failure to achieve long term sobriety is killing me...literally. i'm considering inpatient therapy but doubt i can afford it. the only thing i haven't lost as a result of this disease is my job. my wife left me, i've lost contact with most of my friends, my parents are supportive but exhausted. i feel like i'm staring death in the face. i guess one good thing is that i still have the will to pick myself up and keep trying. at least i'm not drunk now. at least i'll be sober for the rest of today. staying sober is honestly the most difficult thing i can think of. i feel like walking on water would be more possible. thoughts of alcohol lace my every thought. when i'm sober i'm racked with guilt and shame over what i've become. that usually leads to more drinking. help.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it gets a real Firm hold on you in the end stage.. i had to quit a job as part of my sober beginning this last time JK. don't stop trying.. keep posting..
Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you are here. Welcome, I'm sure you will find some wonderful support here. I sure have.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back JK

I know there's various low cost and some free rehabs - Salvation Army for example.

This is a national database - if you enter your local area you'll get a lot of hits, and some indication on cost

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

what else have you tried til now though?

D
Old 06-16-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep trying. Have you given AA any more thought?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Janitorking!

You must not give up because this disease is relentless.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I thought I'd never 'get it' either. But 18 months ago I finally did, and you can too. Don't give up.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi JK -

Before I came to this board I thought that I was the only person that had the obsessive thoughts about alcohol, my drinking, my health, and I honestly had no hope. I was consumed with shame and guilt..come to find out that it is a common feeling that people feel in this struggle. I was so surprised - and it calmed me down a bit to know that I was not this isolated person on earth - rather I had many people around me who went or were going through the same thing.

The more stories I read about others who understood how I felt, the more courage it gave me to make my best effort to stick with this. And I've spent a lot of time here lately. This is hard as hell and I worry about the future but each day is a victory for me right now and that's what keeps me going.

You have reached out for help and that takes a tremendous amount of courage. Keep posting and reading and know that even if you are feeling alone, there are so many people here who can share their experiences and advice. Please don't give up!!

Glad you reached out.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i've been through intensive outpatient rehab 3 times. i'm currently in a relapse prevention program which has been a big help and i go to as many meetings as i can...sometimes 2 or 3 a day. i drink a lot of water, gatorade and energy drinks and usually eat pretty healthily. i see a shrink once a week which also helps. i do something recovery related at least once a day but it's not enough. i wish my life was one continuous meeting. i can go from having an iron clad will to having no will power at all in the blink of an eye. i'm without the ability to understand how something can have such a hold on me. it terrifies me.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

sounds like you have had some periods where you have made progress. Repeat what you did then. What has helped you maintain hope in the past ?

Hang in there
Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

When you say you've been to "meetings" are you talking about AA meetings? Do you have a sponsor and are you working the Steps?

Just sitting in meetings won't change you so you can stay sober. Meetings can pump you up for a bit but meetings alone won't help you navigate life as a sober person. Until you do that, you are likely to stay in this rut you've gotten into.

Sounds like you don't have a lot to lose by doing it, at this point. When all else fails, follow the directions.