Notices

DUI_charged_w/_murder

Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I usually respond to drunk driving threads the same way. ooops, guess I will do it again. I am an expat American living in Europe and drunk driving is simply not the same kind of issue it is in the states.
Most people in Europe who are planning on getting drunk will not drive, and the reason is that 1)the fines and penalties are extreme, 2)there are so many other options for transportation.
Your license will simply be taken away from you, on the spot, first offense, if you blow in the breathalyzer above level. No lawyer, no trial, no nothing: bye bye license. Bye Bye car, it get's towed and you are put in jail.

Friday night on a holiday in Stockholm you run the risk of seeing people throw up in the subway car. That is a risk I am more than thankful to take: it means they are not behind the wheel. All over the city drunk people are using subways, busses and trains and I say a little thank you prayer to my HP every time I see a drunk passenger, because I am thankful I am not drunk like them and I am thankful they are not behind the wheel, and I am so thankful they have other options for transportation besides a car.

If I lived in the states again, I would throw myself into political action supporting mass transit.
We have as of 2008 13,846 traffic deaths, for that year, due to drunk driving in the US: 37% of all traffic fatalities are alcohol related.
This forum here is proof that people don't stop drinking and driving because they can, or because they know they are an alcoholic. It seems that they do just the opposite: they do drive drunk all the time.
I did....even here in Europe when I could have had my license taken away and I would have been thrown in jail. Thankfully, I chose to use the bus and train more often than not.
Now I use the bus and train and subway to get to my AA meetings....
Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
I usually respond to drunk driving threads the same way. ooops, guess I will do it again. I am an expat American living in Europe and drunk driving is simply not the same kind of issue it is in the states.
Most people in Europe who are planning on getting drunk will not drive, and the reason is that 1)the fines and penalties are extreme, 2)there are so many other options for transportation.
Your license will simply be taken away from you, on the spot, first offense, if you blow in the breathalyzer above level. No lawyer, no trial, no nothing: bye bye license. Bye Bye car, it get's towed and you are put in jail.

Friday night on a holiday in Stockholm you run the risk of seeing people throw up in the subway car. That is a risk I am more than thankful to take: it means they are not behind the wheel. All over the city drunk people are using subways, busses and trains and I say a little thank you prayer to my HP every time I see a drunk passenger, because I am thankful I am not drunk like them and I am thankful they are not behind the wheel, and I am so thankful they have other options for transportation besides a car.

If I lived in the states again, I would throw myself into political action supporting mass transit.
We have as of 2008 13,846 traffic deaths, for that year, due to drunk driving in the US: 37% of all traffic fatalities are alcohol related.
This forum here is proof that people don't stop drinking and driving because they can, or because they know they are an alcoholic. It seems that they do just the opposite: they do drive drunk all the time.
I did....even here in Europe when I could have had my license taken away and I would have been thrown in jail. Thankfully, I chose to use the bus and train more often than not.
Now I use the bus and train and subway to get to my AA meetings....
I can understand about mass trans in Europe but in the USA most of the people don't live in the city and everywhere you go you will need to drive. Taxi is way too expensive and most people will take the risk to drive home drunk before taking a taxi. The reason I know this is that a lot of bars will have a police officer at the bar waiting for 2am to come up and then they will kick out over to go home. Most were drunk and most would drive home and the cop would know it. The truth is that USA don't take DUI very serious (I'm lucky about that because I'm through a DUI charge now) but making tougher laws and having more mass trains will not slow down DUI. We Americans love are cars because nothing is walking distance.

I think it would be better off having alcohol for people leaving a bar at a late time. If there above 0.05 then they would have to wait until they are legally not intoxication or get someone to take them home. Make it a law that all bars are required to do so. Every time I went to a bar at closing most were drunk and sometimes the bartender was too. In the old days people walk to there local bar and very little people would drink late at night.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
I am an expat American living in Europe and drunk driving is simply not the same kind of issue it is in the states.
Yes, that is my understanding as well.

My family in Norway, would never drink and drive, but they grew up that way. I've been over there a few times and not even one drink for them if they're driving.

My cousin (from Norway) came over here (to the U.S.) a few times and he was shocked at the fact that most people would drive home after the bars and clubs closed.

I grew up in high school drinking and driving. I'm not saying that was ok, but that's what we did. I literally was driving drunk shortly after my first time drinking. It went hand-in-hand and I did it for years and really only got "caught" b/c I started blacking out and wrecking. I've never actually been pulled over (scary...).

Kjell~
Old 06-03-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I learned recently that DD penalties can be corporately influenced. A friend who lives in Missouri told me that Anheuser-Busch has a lot of influence over the politicians in the state, so the penalties of a DUI are more lax than they would be if A-B wasn't present. Perhaps this is just hearsay, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was true...
Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wow. Yeah, that totally could've been me, too. I drove drunk while in college and was lucky to never hurt anyone or get a DUI.

RIght after law school, before the idea that I had a drinking problem had crossed my mind, I was a heavy partier and a prosecutor in a town 50 miles from where I lived. Looking back, I am pretty sure I was still legally intoxicated most mornings that I was driving to my job prosecuting - of all things - DUI cases. I regularly stayed up til 2-3 in the morning and to be in court 50 miles away by 8am had to leave before 7am...Oh, my.

If that's not a picture of insanity. Luckily for the people of Northern Colorado, I failed the bar exam the first time and wasn't able to keep that job!

This topic (and the memories it brings up for me of my own insanity around alcohol) is a much-needed eye-opener into my need to never touch a drop of alcohol again. It can only get worse.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm pretty sure I subconciously wanted to get caught for a dui. I'm not sure if I was able to quit on my own without some authority telling me I have to

Luckily I just totalled my car and did not injure anybody or damage any property... Sad stories regarding dui's for sure. Scary
Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by erikm02 View Post
As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm pretty sure I subconciously wanted to get caught for a dui. I'm not sure if I was able to quit on my own without some authority telling me I have to
Erik-

I know exactly what you mean and I've heard this from many of my friends in AA who also have a dui(s).

I certainly wouldn't have gone to the lengths I've gone to for my sobriety had I not gotten into trouble.

Kjell~
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I think I remember the trouble you had kjell, or reading about it at the time. Just wanted to come by and say, you have certainly come a long way since those days - well done to you.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It's a sickening feeling to become one of these cautionary tales yourself. Thankfully, the victims of my accident survived, as they were initially not expected to, but the limb loss and other permanent injuries that they must now live with are life altering, to say the least. Suffice it to say that I am permanently affected as well, tho not by physical injury.

Driving drunk was not something I did often, in fact I seldom did it, however even just those few times proved to be too much.
Everything seemed fine, and then suddenly it wasn't.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Actionpak: if I ever end up in the states again, I hope I would throw myself into this issue on a big scale. I have talked to friends in the states who would also like to start an initiative about this issue. Why? There is so much misunderstanding: your post reveals the misunderstandings.

I can understand about mass trans in Europe but in the USA most of the people don't live in the city and everywhere you go you will need to drive.
Huh? Most people don't live in the city? Millions of Americans live in large cities that HAVE well functioning mass transit. It is not an impossibility.

Taxi is way too expensive and most people will take the risk to drive home drunk before taking a taxi.
that is because they spent probably more than that amount at the bar on booze. Of course they choose to drink and get drunk instead of spending the money on a taxi. They probably would take a bus or train or subway home if it cost what is left in their pocket at the end of a night at the bar.

The reason I know this is that a lot of bars will have a police officer at the bar waiting for 2am to come up and then they will kick out over to go home. Most were drunk and most would drive home and the cop would know it.
I really wonder if that is the case all the time?

I think it would be better off having alcohol for people leaving a bar at a late time.
Why do you assume bar drinking is the only cause of drunk drivers? People drink at home and then get into their car drunk to drive to work or to go grocery shopping...or to buy more booze. Maybe you are an alcoholic that drank in bars at night. I always drank at home. I don't like bars.
If there above 0.05 then they would have to wait until they are legally not intoxication or get someone to take them home. Make it a law that all bars are required to do so. Every time I went to a bar at closing most were drunk and sometimes the bartender was too. In the old days people walk to there local bar and very little people would drink late at night.
those are really unrealistic solutions: bars wait for people to sober up? You must be kidding! Bars are in the business to get people drunk. "Get someone to take them home"? See: that never really happens. People who are already drunk don't think about that solution. And, are there always people around who want to bother themselves with the fun job of driving a drunk home? No.

Essentially, most if not all large cities in the US do have mass transit and do understand the absolute necessity for it. The country bumpkins? They need busses too!
We have special night busses to drive all the drunks home from the bars on Friday and Saturday night. It works. It happens.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Recovered Alcoholic

The wife made me install a Blow-and-Go interlock in my car at one point, since I had to drive the kids around.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Blow and Go: That is one heck of a monitoring thing going on there....