Notices

diet/nutrition when quitting booze

Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

diet/nutrition when quitting booze

I was wondering if anyone here has altered their diet since quitting booze. Im at 3 months and crave sweets all the time but am trying to eat healthier. well I used to only maybe eat a hot pocket a day or maybe some crackers..Reason I ask is I did a 3 month intake rehab and ate crappy food the whole time and no one spoke anything of this. Thanks a lot and am really enjoying this site!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found I had to eat a hypoglycemia diet when I quit drinking. My body (liver) was so good at breaking down the vast quantities of alchohol I used to consume that when I ate any refined sugars it thought I was drinking and promptly crashed my blood sugar. Not pretty. I was very strict about it in the beginning, and I have to say, it is a challenging diet, all carbs are pretty much limited to veggies and some fruits. After about a month I started slowly incorporating small amounts of refined sugars. Ice cream! Anyway, I've tried sticking with this diet as much as possible because it keeps me balanced, plus I lost almost 60 lbs. Check with your dr about doing this though, as it is tricky and you need to eat a lot in order to take in enough calories.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think what you're going through is normal. Matter of fact 66% of America is overweight,. and only 10% of them are alcoholics. The point is, most people eat like crap - not just alcoholics.

I have changed two of my meals (breakfast and lunch) to healthy choices. I drink a protein shake in the morning and have something (somewhat) healthy for lunch. Then eat a normal (unhealthy) dinner. It's progress over perfection.

For me, being sober is first if that means some Bdubs at night or Steak n Shake so be it!

Best of luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...I did and consider it was important to my early sobriety...

With my doctors ok..I followed an eating plan for hypoglycemia I found in the book
"Under The Influence" by Mialam & Ketcham.

That alone was worth the small cost of the book...which also has lots of good info.

Hope this helps
Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Day 18. I am craving chocolate at around my usual drinking time. I make sure I have a small supply on hand. I assume this is a substitute for alcohol the need for which will subside in time. Guess my body is in some sort of rhythm. On a positive note my craving for fat and salt to deal with the hangover, and my two large glasses of cordial for breakfast is no longer needed.

I have started to look at recipes, and a made a pumpkin soup on the weekend for lunch. I have had sushi for lunch a few times. Overall it's getting better, but the sugar thing is interesting.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Wharfrat,

Yea, until I found out how crazy the processed sugar affected my body, I found myself eating whole containers of sugary crap early on.

Not pouring sugary based toxic liquid down was a great (an by far) the most important thing !! Addressing sugar in my diet came later. There's a lot of b*ll out there on the subject , for sure. I just went cold turkey.

Had to keep a ton of fruit around, since that's what we've been using for thousands of years anyway. processed sugar is a relatively new, and very profitable business.

I read a book, Sugar Blues, ....that covers the dangers.

....... easy and still enjoyable, to read.

It's great you're thinking about what you eat. seems like a natural progression.