Notices

Small Victory

Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Small Victory

It's Friday. It was a hard week that involved a violent student who finally had to be removed from school. Interestingly, when we were advised by the administration that he had flipped out in one of the offices and been removed, I felt I needed to leave the school grounds as I had refused to meet one of his demands the other day. So a friend and I packed up our stuff and left to go shopping.

Then we went to another colleague's house. Now the friend I was shopping with knows I have quit drinking. She is the outside friend AA says to tell. The other friend, who is my office mate, doesn't know. So the office mate friend (a dear, dear woman who is also, BTW a psychologist and the mother of a child with serious addiction problems) offered us a glass of wine. I responded politely and quickly, my partner/friend agreed. Phwew. The social declines have begun. Also, the friend who doesn't know was very excited to recommend a Madmen Dinner Party including period dress and cocktails. I said that would be fun and will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Now all I have to do is deal with Phil and me being twitchy and deciding whether we can leave the house tonight or if we have to stay in.

I truly appreciate where I am right now, but this has not been easy.

I like the phrase from someone on here "you are always either moving toward a drink or moving away from a drink."

Hope everyone's Friday evening is safe, sober, and sane.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

It is a journey, Missy. Take it slow, take it easy. Sounds like you have an excellent plan in place for just that!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have gone a long way in finding the outside friend that AA recommends. I think being accountable to someone other than your closest really keeps us in focus while pursuing our goals. You also made the most of your first "opportunity" to turn down a drink in public, around friends and colleagues to boot! Think about how hard "this" has been, and make sure you move toward your goals, rather than away from 'em!

On a side note-- at what level do you teach? Have you been at it a long time?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have good support, I haven't told anyone other than my husband. I need to tell a friend so I have that support. Hope to stay on this journey with you.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Telling the friend is very important. She and I have worked together for years and have been through much. She knows I haven't made it straight through, and I know she knows how I'm feeling day to day.

PapaNico-I teach at the college level. I've been there over ten years. It's a great joy and a genuine obsession. That's why I mention it often, it is really as important in my life as almost anything else.