Notices

Non alco beer and wine

Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I dont use cooking wine but I never really did. Down here everything is sauted in butter--YIKES! However, I do still take Nyquil (if needed) and rinse with listerine every morning. I know the alcohol cooks out. The non-alcoholic usually has traces of alcohol in it or the flavor...which could be a trigger. For me, if i have to ask the answer is usually "no you shouldnt do that"
Old 05-19-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i absolutely love bush na and since there is no alcohol in it you dont urinate every 15 minutes like when you used to pound beers. so about 4 is all you can drink in a two hour period perfect for those hot summer days by the pool.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

For me, anything like near beer or n/a wine would be romanticizing the drink. Like, seeing a forbidden lover but not "doing anything"---although, you see them enough....you may.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sounds like Russian roulette to me.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
The Winner Takes It All!!!!!

I was adamant I was going to have non alcoholic beer after my detox, but after the week went by, I found I didn't WANT anything that resembled beer, so stuck to tea. I don't know if it will make me want a beer, and from what I have read in hundreds of posts its not the way to go, anyone should read the PAVLOV THEORY, which mentions classical conditioning.

Condition the brain NOT to have a beer and youv'e nailed it!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Originally Posted by newwings View Post
... didn't mean to provoke anything with this thread, I thought it was just an innocent enough question
(((Newwings))) No worries

I have read pretty much all of the NA beer threads, even the ones from way back when, because I'm not sure where I stand on this one yet. However, I do appreciate and take the advice of others very seriously. This is going to sound lame but if and when I decide to try an NA beer when those 100 degree summer days hit (if they ever do...what is UP with this crazy weather?!), I will probably not post about it because I still can get my feelings hurt pretty easily...lol...still working on the ego stuff. Progress no perfection, I guess. I never drank beer to get drunk as it's way too filling/ineffective to me for that and it was never my drink of choice. Now wine...the idea of even a sip of that stuff scares the sh!t out of me because it was the only drink I ever blacked out with. And I don't even like the taste

Anyhow, I have a good salmon recipe without wine if you'd like one though it's probably very different from yours as this one involves teriyaki, ginger, and loads of garlic...more Asian than French (hubby is Asian) but delicious nonetheless
Old 05-19-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't flirt that closely with my addiction(s).

There's lots of other recipes out there.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So glad this thread is here, 17 days sober and there's a Labor Day bonfire tonight. Had considered getting na wine as a "treat" to myself. I don't like soda and can't drink anything caffeinated after noon. I didn't think anything was wrong with this and my husband was really trying to get me not to do it, so I looked it up here. I'm not going near that stuff now. Wine was my drink for 20 years and I plan on being sober for the rest of my life. Not worth the risk to me!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hi Foodie...welcome to SR. Glad you resurrected this post. The NA subject came up, kinda, at tonights AA mtg, which reminded me that all alcoholic beverages for me were an acquired taste; meaning, I had to learn to like them. Now, I realize that what I liked about them was not ever the taste. I bore the taste to get to the effect. That said, I did enjoy the taste of foods cooked in booze. However, I have yet to not find a suitable substitute of equal or better flavor.

Yesterday, I was working in my basement shop and realized that I had been avoiding that since it was auto beer/auto drunk zone for me. I pulled a frosted mug out of the freezer and poured it full of San Pellegrino. I was quite pleased that I could chug that water from the frosted mug, and the carbonation cut my throat just like a cold frosty beer. Found a great new substitute!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I always figured, why bother? I didn't drink wine for the taste, I drank to get numb, so what's the point of na wine? I don't mess with it. Reminds me of the real thing.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you plan to cook with alcohol....and I don't.....
I'm not only a non drinker but a non eater of boozey food...

Here is some info that might be of interest

A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:

* 15 minutes 40%

* 30 minutes 35%

* 1 hour 25%

* 1.5 hours 20%

* 2 hours 10%

* 2.5 hours 5%

Now, it may be that the amount of alcohol in a dish is modest to start with, but the fact that some of the alcohol remains could be of significant concern to recovering alcoholics, parents, and others who have ethical or religious reasons for avoiding alcohol.
And you can try these..
Booze Flavoring In Cooking
This was the September 2003 issue of theAA Grapevine.

Sweet or semisweet red wine - Carbonated cranberry drink.

Dry red wine - ½ cup carbonated cranberry drink, plus 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.

Sweet white wine - White grape juice plus 1 Tbsp. corn syrup.

Brandy - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tsp brandy flavoring, or 1/4 cup apple cider with 1 tbsp peach or apricot syrup.

Rum - 1/4 cup apple juice plus 1 tbsp rum extract, or 1/4 cup pineapple juice or syrup flavored with 1 tbsp almond extract.

Sherry - Orange or pineapple juices with peach sirup.

Amaretto - 1 tbsp light corn syrup plus 1 tbsp almond extract and 1/4 cup clear apple juice.

Kirsch - Syrup or juices from cherries, raspberries, boysenberries, currnats or cider.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey,

As far as I am aware there is a tiny amount of alcohol in non-alcoholic beer and wine as they cannot extract it all. If you are following the abstinent method then you should avoid non-alcoholic beer and wine.

And, as mentioned by another poster, the whole point of these drinks is to mimic the taste of the real stuff. Which alcoholic out there was drinking for the taste when they were in active addiction? Do you miss the taste or is it the effect?

If you really feel you need to drink this stuff, then what you are feeling is the need for alcohol.

Peace
Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks CarolD!! I used to LOVE cooking with white wine-- I always thought it gave food a very unique flavor. I was just about to ask people what might be a good substitute, but you were way ahead of me!!