Notices

Viscious Cycle

Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Viscious Cycle

Well for the last 2 and a half years, I've quit drinking several times for about 2-3 months at a time, only to find myself once again only sober for 2 days. I know deep down its not hopeless, but it certainly feels that way right now.

My last spree was a 4 day bender ending Sunday night with me falling off the bed, and my wife unable to get me up. Not my proudest moment. The next day she wasn't even angry, just worried sick about how bad of a state I was in. Saying only, "This has to stop." Of course I was in agreement.

Its a horrible feeling to know you have to go through withdrawal all over again. I think everyone on this site knows what the definition of insanity is.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it is absolute insanity, isn't it. But, it's so good that you have hope and believe that you can do this.

When you stop drinking for 2 to 3 months at a time, what other changes do you make in your life?

You might want to check with your dr before you begin to detox because it can be dangerous.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Icarus,
I'm in that relapse cycle too & yes it's an insane situation - I'm on day 9 (1/2!) sober and am reading/writing here to keep my resolve strong this time. This is a great site to be on - I found it a great help to post here.
Stay strong!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, it is absolute insanity, isn't it. But, it's so good that you have hope and believe that you can do this.

When you stop drinking for 2 to 3 months at a time, what other changes do you make in your life?

You might want to check with your dr before you begin to detox because it can be dangerous.
I appreciate this response Anna. The benefit of having several periods of 2-3 months of sobriety is that I know how much better life can be, I know that I can get back to that place, and I know without a doubt in my mind that that one drink is going to put me straight back into this depressing abyss.

When I'm not drinking I don't make any drastic changes then the not drinking of course. I do try to eat healthy and exercise. I try to spend as much time with my two daughters as possible. Who really should never see their father in the state that I get in.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tillies View Post
Hi Icarus,
I'm in that relapse cycle too & yes it's an insane situation - I'm on day 9 (1/2!) sober and am reading/writing here to keep my resolve strong this time. This is a great site to be on - I found it a great help to post here.
Stay strong!
Thanks for the response Tillies. 9 and a half isn't too bad. It's a lot more hopeful then day 2.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Icarus10, I'm in the same boat as you. I relapse every 3 months now. It was every few weeks 2 years ago. I'm on day 7 now and still recovering from my withdrawals. I'm determine to to not relapse again. Here are a few things that may make you slip and drink again. I hope they help.

Many warning signs can tell you when you may be in danger of using drugs or alcohol again. These are some of the signs:
Hanging around old drinking haunts and substance-using friends

Cutting yourself off from your support network

Keeping alcohol or drugs at home

Obsessive thinking about using drugs or drinking

Having relationship difficulties

Being involved with someone or having a spouse who still uses

Being bored or lacking routine and structure in your life

Refusing to deal with personal issues and other problems

Feeling like a victim and refusing to acknowledge you have choices and are responsible for your life

Putting yourself in situations in which you must prove to others you don’t have a problem

If you recognize any of these behaviors in yourself, get support and make a commitment to sobriety.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Icarus10, I'm in the same boat as you. I relapse every 3 months now. It was every few weeks 2 years ago. I'm on day 7 now and still recovering from my withdrawals. I'm determine to to not relapse again. Here are a few things that may make you slip and drink again. I hope they help.

Many warning signs can tell you when you may be in danger of using drugs or alcohol again. These are some of the signs:
Hanging around old drinking haunts and substance-using friends

Cutting yourself off from your support network

Keeping alcohol or drugs at home

Obsessive thinking about using drugs or drinking

Having relationship difficulties

Being involved with someone or having a spouse who still uses

Being bored or lacking routine and structure in your life

Refusing to deal with personal issues and other problems

Feeling like a victim and refusing to acknowledge you have choices and are responsible for your life

Putting yourself in situations in which you must prove to others you don’t have a problem

If you recognize any of these behaviors in yourself, get support and make a commitment to sobriety.

Should I be concerned if almost all of the above apply?

Oh well, no one said this was going to be easy.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The thing is, Icarus, alcohol is the symptom.

Once you remove the alcohol, you still need to deal with the underlying problems that led you to drink and numb yourself. That's when the hard work and tough changes occur. Recovery is an amazing journey!
Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, I just recently relapsed myself and I am coming at my problem with a plan and a recommitment to staying sober.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Icarus10

I used to have spells of sobriety too - I really agree with Anna that alcohol was a symptom for me of some deeper malaise.

I needed to not only stop drinking but I needed to look at the reasons behind my drinking too, and make some pretty big changes to my life - not just the tangible ones like cutting out a lot of drinking places I used to go and drinking people I used to be with - but also looking for more purpose and meaning in my life.

SR really helped me to sort out a lot of those kinds of things
I hope we can help you too

D
Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really have to agree that alcohol is a symptom of a much deeper malaise for me. I'm going to need to go on a long journey of acceptance, and forgiveness. I feel I'm finally at a point in my life where I am ready for surrender, and that I actually know what that means now.

It was a pretty rough night last night, but here I am on Day 3. Here's to hoping I never start this countdown again.