Notices

frustrated. need some advice.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

frustrated. need some advice.

so.. its been 47 days sober. and i like it alot. lately i have been a little frustrated with my sponsor tho. i feel like i am being guilt tripped by her. she tells me i dont have my priorities straight.. like that i dont go to enough meetings. i go to prob 4 to 5 a week. i understand that for alot of people, they had to go to one every day. but i just dont think what works for one person is what the next person has to do. also, i drank non alcoholic wine, which i didnt know had alcohol in it.. (same amt as mouth wash). she pointed this out to me, and i said ok i wont drink it again. but she kept going on about it. i mean it wasnt a big deal to me, but she made me feel much worse about it.
i think i just feel like she wants me to completely live and breathe aa stuff.. which i have been going to lots of meetings, calling people from the program, not as often as i should prob, and i read the big book, etc. i feel like im doing good. but i feel like its not good enough for her. i know alot of people coming into aa have to have a complete lifestyle makeover, changing everything in there life. i know i still have good people in my life.. and good things goin for me. i need to keep some things the same right now. all of my friends outside of aa have been so supportive of me.
anyway, im gonna talk to her i think, but i just need to see if im being ridiculous. thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yea, talk to her... She is only a guide through the steps, not your mom. Guilt trips are what mom's are for... LOL... cheap shot, I know it!!!! Just kidding.

But seriously, have a talk with her... Like you, I have a great bunch of friends and family, most of which drink responsibly and only occasionally, still have a job and family that need me...

I get it.. That's good you are willing to talk with her about it...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on 47 days ....We quit the same time

I can't help you with your question because I don't attend AA meetings. I can say that I have to do what works for me.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, that's not fair. Everyone and everyone's recovery is different.
I've been to about 5 meeting in the past 2 months muchless in a week. LOL Take your advice and talk with her...no one said you HAVE to keep her as your sponser. Maybe there is another you can relate to.
I don't even have a sponser. I have a list of people I can call -but never had to call. IDK, it's just so different for everyone.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can always get a new sponsor. I know where I go your first sponsor is considered a temporary sponsor. I think to make sure you mesh.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks everybody. that makes me feel better. i need to hear some people who are going through the same thing as me's opinions.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't have a sponsor yet and I don't know if I need one. I have people I can talk to and a ton of support, not to mention this place. I've been told several times, "Why don't you have a sponsor yet?" I'm like wondering what the point is although I love my women's AA meetings and won't give them up.

I spoke to one perspective sponsor and I was turned off by the religion slant to her whole covo with me only because I am not your typical spiritual person. I believe in something greater than the God that is addressed in the Big Book. Even thought the Big Book says, "God as we know him" (I don't like the him part). The 4th edition of the Big book was printed in 2001 and God is still referred to as "Him?" Bugs the ___ outta me.

Anyway, I am a spiritual person but I can't relate to someone who is hard core Christian. Just being honest. Sorry starting to ramble bottom line is, if you are jiving with this person move on. We hardly need more people in our lives making us feel guilty or ashamed when we do that all just fine on our own. LOL