Notices

Hi guys, on day 4....

Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi guys, on day 4....

I've made it to day 4 with some support from a friend and my cat. Does anyone have any info, or past experience with non-12 step programs? Please don't flame me, i just don't think a 12 step is for me.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's not for me, either, although I can't possibly knock anything that has been very successful for some. I just don't think it fits me and who I am at this precise moment.

I found the book 'Rational Recovery' by Jack Trimpey a great read and very useful. Very, very insightful and clear. You can get a copy on Amazon. I'd definitely recommend it. Good luck, and congratulations on 4 days!!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here are some recovery programs. I'm not an AA person either, but use SR and books to help me find my way:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery and congratulations on day 4. You will get no guff from me on not following a 12 step program, I say do what ever works for you to stop drinking, after all aren't we all after the same goal.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 days!

Welcome and I hope you find a recovery program that is right for you. Good luck and keep coming back here. This is a great place for support.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How many of you all needed to go to counciling or what not, or do most programs cover that. I was looking into smart recovery b/c i can do it at home and they suggest you use forums and chat for support.

and one big question i have. Do you tell all your friends and family you have a problem, as for me only a few know...
Old 05-15-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
How many of you all needed to go to counciling or what not, or do most programs cover that. I was looking into smart recovery b/c i can do it at home and they suggest you use forums and chat for support.

and one big question i have. Do you tell all your friends and family you have a problem, as for me only a few know...
I told only the people I thought needed to know, my immediate family and certain friends. I did not tell my boss, which in hind site was probably not the best thing as I was a basket case for the first couple of weeks.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DeathKnight

welcome to SR

We also have a Secular Connections forum which deals with non 12 step recovery - you might find some like minded souls down there too

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

When I quit I told everyone...but looking back I realise now I didn't need to - personally I think people close to you should know...but outside that inner circle it's up to you.

Support was important for me, for me it really made the difference to come here and
be part of a community - something bigger than me.

Acceptance was important too - I had to fundamentally accept I was an alcoholic - and that there was no coming back from that. Drinking had to cease to be a viable option.

That took a lot of work and effort - another reason I was glad of the support

good to have you with us DK
D