Notices

Fridays

Old 05-14-2011, 12:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Day 10

Fridays

Its now 940 am Saturday morning. Is every friday going to be that much of a struggle? How do we get through a friday night?
I had a drink last night. not too much, I wasn't drunk. I'm not hungover today.
It was friday, hubby was in a good mood, home early and chatting about work. It just seemed ok to sit down and have 1 glass. so I did.
So day one again.
dust myself off pick myself up and try again right?

Anyone else struggle with fridays?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fridays never made any difference to me. Everyday was a Friday when I was drinking. I do agree for some people it can be a hard night not to drink if they were a weekend warrior.

I was a little sad to read you drank Friday night. Ill be brutally honest here. Saying you didn't drink much, and you didn't get drunk seems like the principal of that statement was trying to justify it to yourself rather than let the SR community know ya messed up. I could be wrong, but thats just the vibe I got from it.

I do recognize quiting drinking right out is HARD, but can be easily done if YOU really want to stop. When I say easy, I mean mind over matter my good friend For me I still crave the high of being drunk all the time. Especially when I had a great day. But then I tell myself the REASON I had a great day was because I wasn't drinking. And then theres other times where the craving comes out of the blue. I just try and ignore it, and usually 15-20 mins later I'm not even thinking about it. Or if its REAL bad ill pop on here and do a little reading.

Just remember your lucky. What happened Friday night for you could have ended up way worse. In no way shape or form expect those kind of results every time. 1 drink turns into 2, and 3, and 4 and so forth. Or maybe in your case it could be one night of small drinking turns in to 1, 2, 3 etc. And then your right back where you started. And thats NO GOOD.

Alright theres my 2 cents Stay strong and dont beat yourself up to much. Just tell yourself, and mean it - I want to QUIT!!!!

-Ryan
Old 05-14-2011, 01:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fridays are tough.

Even one drink is a violation and yes, it is tough, but that's the only way to quit. The continuous feed of alcohol in the body/brain is not going to allow you to be free.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im going to shoot to the other side of the room .

If you had one drink that is "One" drink , and managed to enjoy your evening , have a good time etc .

I would like to ask you one and only "One" question.

And to answer your first question.

Yes ..fridays were hard , but like Ryanred said. Everyday was friday ..

Well . it was for me too.

Anyway , back to my question

Did you enjoy it ?

I dont attend AA , but I did hear some great words of wisdom at an AA meeting that I once went to.

"When I controlled it , I didnt enjoy it . And when I enjoyed it , I could not control it"

I so identify with you and your one drink ..In my case it was four.

But .

What I realised over time , was that complacency set in , then , the disinhibitory effect of alcohol , and then ,,,,before I knew it , I was back to a bottle of Vodka and a bottle of wine EVERY DAY.

That ONE drink or four , took me straight back.

Dont beat yourself up about it ....

My own humble experience tells me Oh yes Lip , you can have one or four, but my heart knows that If I do, ultimately , it will lead to much worse.

I had to lose my family , my home, the respect of my three beautiful daughters and many many friends to learn that lesson .

I even lost my health .. Previous posts have talked about my bowel cancer and prostate cancer ten years later , all related to copious amounts of alcohol.

Last May , I was lying in a hospital bed after having a radical prostatectomy . Major surgery . Wishing , oh just wishing that I had stopped drinking years earlier.

According to statistics , now, I have to look forward to quite a short life span.

So , my question is .

Did you enjoy it ?

Because , 10 years ago , I would have answered NO.

I had to drink to excess all the time.

If you were born in 1978 , it makes you about 33.

Young , and with a life worth living . so much to look forward to

Alcohol sucked me in .

I told myself lies. Like..

I can have just four drinks..

Im happy that you are on SR . Keep posting and hang in there

Kindest regards

Please look after your health .

L
Old 05-14-2011, 02:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fridays were always tough for me, even though I drank every night Friday and Saturday night I could turn the drunken volume to high.

These days though I try to mute the drinking voice out. Have you ever been listening to a commercial on the radio and asked someone with you if they heard it? And they weren’t even paying attention? It’s the same way with the booze; we just have to learn to tune it out.

It does get easier after a little while though…
Old 05-14-2011, 02:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SomethingBetter View Post
Fridays were always tough for me, even though I drank every night Friday and Saturday night I could turn the drunken volume to high.

These days though I try to mute the drinking voice out. Have you ever been listening to a commercial on the radio and asked someone with you if they heard it? And they weren’t even paying attention? It’s the same way with the booze; we just have to learn to tune it out.

It does get easier after a little while though…
I really liked the way you put that.

Tune it out.

It is like a tiger in a cage. If you keep feeding it , it stays alive.

If you tune it out and ignore it , just move on with the here and now. The tiger slowly dies.

Same for me with boooze. Although , Im still learning day by day

Thanks for that excellent post

L
Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never think about it being a Friday anymore, Laura...but to get here I had to go through a few Fridays (Saturdays and other days too) when I did think about it yeah...

but I made a commitment to do things differently - to not give in to the desire to drink and seek help and support to help me get through that.

I really believe the only way to get to the point where the day doesn't bother you is.....do it.

Start working on making next Friday a sober one now, Laura

D
Old 05-14-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, If you made it through the week easily, re focus your goals on tackling Fridays and the weekend.

This was always my problem. I could pretty much go through the week no problem, but when the weekend hit, i would have people over and the disaster would start. With a little planning, and keeping people away for a couple of weekends it became a lot easier.

Keep working at it and good luck! you can do this...
Old 05-14-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Arc
Day 34

It's hard. I drank 15-18 beers 7 days a week and Friday and Saturday were the only times when I didn't feel like such a complete disaster because those were the days I was usually out in a social setting, instead of sitting around polishing off a case of beer alone. Either way a drink is a drink. My second relapse I only had 2 cans of beer, and convinced myself I was in control.

A few days later the 30 packs started rolling in out of the trunk of the car on a regular basis.. It's a tough uphill battle, but you can do it Laura. You know you always have SR. Next time that one glass beckons you, try coming and posting on here about how you're tempted to have it, but won't/didn't, or grab a glass of iced tea or something else to take its place.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Day 10

Thank you everyone. Tonight I am battling too. I need to talk to someone. I hope there's someone in chat who can lend an ear :-(
Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How About One Day Atta Time?

For me, Fridays were tough. Just as tough as Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays....etc. The expression from AA is "One is too many and a million is not enough". Alcoholism is a progressive disease and that "one drink" will turn into many drinks. The big thing is that while you may not be hungover, you still have remorse which is something that normal drinkers don't experience.
You wrote that tonight will be tough as well...I promise you that once you've stopped for good, you won't miss it. I go out with my boyfriend and he has wine or beer and I don't think twice. My years of being sober (going on 9 yrs) all add up to MANY A 24 HOURS. Take it just like that,rather than looking long-term. Many folks have the mentality that they can't picture their lives w/o booze, but if you take it just one day atta time, you will be just fine. So forget the drink you had last night and please go forward...you are young and you have so much good living to do, and I hope to heck that you stay the course.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope you were able to talk with someone. Sadly, your and my time difference makes it so we cant connect to often. I hope all is well!

-Ryan