Notices

Exhausted

Old 05-08-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exhausted

I have been married to my husband almost 7 months.
The first time he brought it home, i thought he had a virus or something he stayed on the toilet all night then slept the next 2 days.
The second time he didn't come home one Thrusday night and called me at 3am telling me he needed help.
I was shocked, i had never known him to do this. He promised me he would never do it again.
The next Thrusday i found him at Motel 6. He was there all night long doing coke. So the next Monday i made him an appt at a Addiction Recovery(outpatient) center. We met with the counselors and was getting him admitted.
Thrusday rolled around again and he picked up his drugs after work, snorted it then came home. Because he had promised he would be home. He was up all night and for the 4th Friday did not go to work.
He finally went to a meeting the next Wed. and the next day Thrusday he stayed at Days Inn all night doing his coke. He called me while i was on my way to work and told me he needed inpatient treatment. So i took off work and tried to get him help.
Long story short most of the inpatient rehabs around my town have closed down. And he needed to give his outpatient program a try.
I don't know how much more i can handle. He steals from my wallet, doesn't help with the bills anymore and has a very bad attitude. He gets mad over anything.
It is Sunday night and for the past 5 Thrusday's he has used cocaine. Tomorrow will be his third day of his program. Can he be helped? Or do i need to get a second job to help me with the bills? Or trust he will get better?
How can someone that is addicted to this drug only choose to do it one day a week, or is this just a starting point?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

My advice for you is to take the focus off your husband and put it on yourself. Your husband will need to decide if he wants help.

You might check out AlAnon in your area for a support group to help you. Also we have two forums on this board for Friends and Families and you will find support there for yourself.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My opinion is that he isn't just chosing one day a week. I think he could be using more but bottoms out one day so it seems like its only that one day. I doubt if he's using coke he would only do it one day a week especially if he's not helping with bills and taking money from you.
I know from experience that it can be controlled during the week but once it gets too much then you go into the "I don't care" mode.
Hopefully, he seeks help...it will only be when he is ready. I would take care of myself first and make sure your life stays on track.
Good Luck and Welcome.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I can't really answer your questions but wanted to wish you the best. Please check out the Friends / Family forum on SR like Anna suggested.

Here is the link:

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I found a lot of support there when I asked for it. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No more

Thank you...i woke up this morning and said...."i will no longer let his addiction run or ruin my life." i can't worry if he goes to his meetings or not and I can not spend my time wondering. So thanks for the imput and i am on my way.