Notices

A Sober Mothers day

Old 05-08-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Sober Mothers day

Last year at this time I was in my drunk alcoholic haze, but this time around Im sober, and at my Mom's place here cooking her breakfast.

While I was cooking my homemade French Toast with fresh strawberries this morning, (yum!) she said something to me that hit me like a ton of bricks. She said "last year Ryan you didn't even say happy mothers day to me. I said I didnt? See my Mom and I have always had a good relationship, so dont get me wrong. But what a a-hole thing for me to not even SAY happy moms day to her last year. I'm sure it was because I was waking up hungover and not having a care in the world except getting drunk. Or I just completely missed the day sleeping through it hungover. Whatever the reason behind it, I'm sure it was alcoholic related.

So today Im glad to be a sober son to my mother today.

Happy mothers day to all the ladies out there!

-Ryan
Old 05-08-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Aw that must feel great Ryan Hope you both have a great day together! I wish I could spend the day with my mother but she lives back in MI where I am from...thanks for the Happy Mother's Day wishes!! I'm having a nice laid back day with my daughter, who is too young to realize what this day is about (3 1/2), but enjoying it nonetheless - time spent with my daughter, is always time cherished and well spent.

Happy Mother's Day to every other mother out there xo

-Jess
Old 05-08-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done Ryan and do cherish the time with your mom. Mine passed this March and really had disappeared over the last 5 years with dementia. More than one mothers day was ruined by my hangover or drinking so for my wife and our kids , I am clean and sober and she gets a nice spa treatment plus some other goodies simply by using the money I saved from not drinking the last 40 plus days.

Happy mothers day to all the mom's out there and kids/husbands/significant others , let her know you love and care
Old 05-08-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ryan, as a Mom myself, I can tell you that you have given her the best gift a Mom can ever wish for today - a happy, sober, healthy child. Way to go.

Happy Mother's Day to your Mom.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job! Take care of your mom. Mine died 11 years ago. It still hurts everyday.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you Ryan!!! I'm sure you made your Mom proud and thankful to have her son back. You can not take back last Mothers Day, but you created a new and wonderful memory for her today!!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a wonderful gift. I just got home from rehab on Friday, and it didn't matter if they didn't get me anything, I am happy to have us all together and i'm not checked out of their lives anymore.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As a mom, it can be worry-some if you don't get well wishes. Since my kids are older I really try to not take it personally if someone 'forgets'. But it is bothersome because its only one day that you really have to just say it. LOL
Luckily, my kids are all in good graces today as all 4 of them either texted, facebooked or called me. LOL I love modern technology.
That is wonderful that you were able to share the day with your Mom. You will both remember that.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats Ryan.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

What a precious, wonderful gift- yum! (and the spa ain't half bad either, guyinyvr!).
Moms spend lots of years taking care of everybody - it's nice to have someone take the time to think about doing that for us......

My son sent me a beautiful (huge) double white orchid. What pleases me the most is not the gift itself, but the fact that he is turning out to be a thoughtful person. I'm very proud of him and I'm sure your mom feels exactly the same way........ great post!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are a good kid Ryan...nice.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I use to be a drunk and at one time my son and I didn't have a relationship because of my alcohol abuse.
Tonight we had a very nice dinner (his treat for Mother's Day) at Red Lobster and my heart feels good to know that he loves me and cares so much about me. So glad that we have so many more Mother's day to celebrate together.
Isn't sober life grand!