Notices

I don't know where to post this.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know where to post this.

Why would anyone at the suicide hotline care if the random person on the other end of the line killed his or herself?

I hate posting this here, I hate calling attention to myself like this. I can't call my friends, my family doesn't care. I finally found my car keys, I don't know where to turn. But why would some volunteer getting calls like this everyday care?

Who cares at all.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

You're not thinking straight.

Of course people care. Any time someone dies needlessly it's tragic. Suicide breaks hearts and ruins the lives of those left behind. I get a pit in my stomach just reading your post. I care.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I can't address the suicide issue, but you know who cares. Everyone on this board cares about each of us...we are a compact of caregivers for each other. You have said caring things to me. Others have said caring things to you. AA is full of people who care.

Why not think the same of people on other care lines?

It just feels like no one cares. We all care. I like seeing your posts.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I get stuck in a cycle of depression my mind tries to tell me that no one cares, or I would be better off dead. But in reality it's just not true. You would be surprised by how much people care, even total strangers.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Howdy..I wish I could hug you. I found this link..http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ease-read.html

Please think things through. Such a permanent solution for a temporary problem. You are loved..we are all loved. Stay with us ..we all care!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aghsjwaha. Thank you all.
I wish I could hug you as well, as stupid as that sounds I really want a hug right now.

I've always had depression but I've been sober a week now. I now understand why people feel compelled to keep drinking. After crying for awhile and talking to another AA member I guess this feeling is normal for an alcoholic after quitting.

I never understood why people relapsed because I never stopped long enough to experience the extreme emotional side effects of quitting. The physical symptoms ended a few days ago and I've felt great, but last night and today. I feel like I've hit a brick wall.

I'm about to head to an AA meeting and try to get my head straight, at least for a few hours.

Thank you all so much.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Howdy.... I am coming up on my one month sober, so I can tell you that it is normal (at least it was for me) to feel some depression once you get past the physical withdrawal symptoms. This too will pass. Just hang in there and remember that however you are feeling right now, is NOT forever. There are alot of people here to lean on in the meantime that have definitely walked in your shoes, so please lean away. More people care than you realize!!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Howdy I have to tell you that in my early sobriety I was a REAL MESS.

There was an Alano Club called the Ala Nest and it was located on the 2nd floor of a triangular building. One of the small rooms was an actual triangle. The folks there would literally lock me in that room, where I could rant, rave, scream, throw chairs, etc and once I had calmed a bit one of the Old Timers would come in and sit and talk with me.

I didn't know, until I had been sober a while, that 1) alcohol is first a stimulant and then 2) a depressant. The depression hit me and it hit me hard.

I muddled through it for years, staying sober, until at 9 years sober I just knew I was going to end up locked up in a padded cell. It was then I finally sought out a Psych Dr that had and was working with recovering alcoholics. Don't wait as long as I did. Turns out that not only did I suffer from 'chronic' depression I was also Bi Polar. Sheesh talk about double whammys!

The point is, you can do this, if the depression does not go away, then it might be time for some professional help, but you won't know until you have some sober time (like 60 to 90 days) under your belt. In the meantime, AA meetings and AA folks are a GREAT help in getting through the current depression. Most if not all have suffered it in their early recovery.

You have made an excellent decision to attend a meeting this afternoon!!!!!!

Keep posting, you know we care. We may not be with you physically but know that we are with you in spirit, and when you are feeling down like this, picture whatever room you are in at the moment FILLED with all of us here at SR. Believe it or not it does help.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-29-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Howdy-- I'm sending you my cell phone number in a private message. Please feel free to use it at any time. I promise nothing more than an ear and a friendly voice. And I will not lecture you about the Big Book!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Howdy - I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time. Really wish we could send out real life hugs, it really sounds like you need one (((()))). People DO care, I care - I've been there with deep depression, it has been a part of my life for a very long time. Keep us posted, I hope the meeting goes well and you succeeded in keeping your mind busy for a little while. Alot more people care than you realize, I'm sure. We are here for you when you need someone to listen, to be there.

-Jess
Old 04-29-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Howdy, I'm so sorry your feeling like this. I wish I could reach out and give you a hug! :ghug3 You are the sweetest person and have so much to give. You light up the chat room! We all enjoy you so much!!

Give yourself a chance to feel better. I know its hard hun. Life does have a way of turning around. If your still feeling like this a visit to your Doctor might help you out.

I'm happy to talk with you anytime Howdy! People really do care!! I care!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Howdy12 View Post
Why would anyone at the suicide hotline care if the random person on the other end of the line killed his or herself?

I hate posting this here, I hate calling attention to myself like this. I can't call my friends, my family doesn't care. I finally found my car keys, I don't know where to turn. But why would some volunteer getting calls like this everyday care?

Who cares at all.
I do .

I think it is a courageous move to post here. Well done'

One thing I know, from being there myself , is , you are not thinking straight.

The first time I got diagnosed with cancer 10 years ago while drinking every day , I wanted to end it , and a friend, pointed out to me that the ripple effect of that action would devistate my family , my children and everyone who knows me, Forever.

It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

It WILL pass

L.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks again so much. The meeting was a nice distraction. I'm going to a young people's one in about three hours...so just trying to fill my time and distract myself from my thoughts.

I plan on at least seeing a therapist soon...I have off and on most of my life but I need to again, especially now.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Howdy,, I hope you are feeling better this afternoon! I am here, right here with you. I am on my second week and I am an emotional wreck! There are many many people who care, me being one! ((((((Hugs))))))
Old 04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Howdy! I used to work on a suicide hotline precisely because I DO care. I have a genuine interest in the well being of others, no matter who they are. It didn't matter much to me "specifically" who was on the other line, all I needed to know was that I could provide a listening ear to someone in need for 10 minutes, and I wouldn't judge, offer advice, or anything else. Just listen.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Howdy12 View Post
Thanks again so much. The meeting was a nice distraction. I'm going to a young people's one in about three hours...so just trying to fill my time and distract myself from my thoughts.

I plan on at least seeing a therapist soon...I have off and on most of my life but I need to again, especially now.

Some good things happening for you in your thoughts and this , your last post.

1 You said thank you...It shows a lovely quality you have called gratitude.

2 The meeting was a "nice" distraction....Something else positive

3 You are taking action to go to another one...more ++++ positive stuff

4 You have a plan for helping yourself..re the therapist...Bloody excellent stuff.

You are obviously a person with inner strength , resolve and definitely worthwhile.

L
Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do keep checking in Howdy.

People do care - as hard as it can be to believe sometimes. There's hundreds of people here who spend their time on sites like this who are a testament to that.

please read the links Ms CB posted...and please do see your Dr

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-29-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-29-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers coming your way for speedy healing...serenity and clairty.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pray

I shall pray for you - and then I'm off to an AA meeting in 30 minutes.

Kelly
Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I care now for ever living thing.............especially you.
It gets better...believe me..........Never give up on you............there will never be anyone again in this world just like you.Take care of yourself,get 90 meetings in 90 days to clear the Obsession.: love./............... mick