Notices

Drinking Dream

Old 04-27-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Dream

Had one last night...don't really remember the details, think that in the dream I took a shot of whiskey. I felt so bad and guilty, but then I woke up and realized that it was just a dream and the feeling of relief was really good as I fell back asleep. Glad to be sober today , Day 38
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dfw

I had a similar dream. It was very realistic, I cracked open a beer in bed and then a friend walked in the room and expressed their disappointment that I had started drinking again.

I think it's our brain's way of telling us to stay sober.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dreamt I was hanging out with Justin Bieber....I felt awful and then I woke up and realized it was just a dream

Not to make light of drinking dreams but I think people can sometimes read too much into them. The best part about them is waking up
Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When living recovery in your everyday life your
dreams become recovery dreams. Those dreams
where alcohol is offered, I simply say no and begin
talking about recovery. It's pretty awesome that
I live and sleep recovery a day at a time with no
alcohol. Even at 20 yrs sober. I am grateful.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had my first drinking dream right around the same days sober as you did, Comanche. They are pretty powerful at first. They taper off with time.

I also had a dream that I took my wife to an open A.A. meeting at a Hooters in Sandusky Ohio. ...???... Try not to read too deep, you may drown.

Zube
Old 04-27-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Comanche-

What's interesting about drinking dreams or at least my drinking dreams are there is always some form of regret or fear or shame about the actualy drinking.

I've never had a "fun" drinking dream and I'm 17'ish months sober. Oh and I still get them.

Kjell~
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LaFemme.....Justin Beiber? Really?
Had you said Sam Elliot I may have been jealous. lmao

I've only ever had one drinking dream. The same feelings came back to me in the dream as when I was drinking. The same sneaky feeling, that sense of denial and that hiding feeling. I reached into my fridge and grabbed a beer. I went through the motions and I could see the top of the can right in my face. The dream shifted. I felt so ashamed, so dirty! Like I cheated on myself. lmao

Personally, I like animal dreams better, they are easier to read.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Ahhhh yes, the good old "Drinking Dream."

Got quite a few of those from about Day 30 to 6 months and then they started to taper off.

Had a bad one at a little over 2 years into recovery, but was able to figure out with the help of my sponsor that I was under quite a bit of 'stress' at work at the time.

Over the years, they have really only occurred when I have been under a great deal of stress, ie at work, family, living conditions, etc

I have come to the conclusion, at least for me, that they occur when i am under heavy duty stress.

And, it is always such a 'relief' to awaken and find out it was just a dream.

Hang in there (((((Comanche))))) they will abate, and it (life) will get better.

J M H O based on my own personal experiences all these years.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

I seem to have about one drinking dream a year.

The last one was especially troubling. I dreamed that I had a drink. Then I dreamed that because I'd broken my sobriety anyway, I'd really drink, just like old times.

When I woke up and realized it'd been just a dream I was so grateful and relieved!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Interesting. I thought those only came right at the beginning of sobriety (first couple of weeks). I had dreams that involved alcohol in my first month but didn't have one that I had actually drank a good amount until last night. I was so disappointed in myself! Glad ot wake up. I'm on day 44, personally. Guess we're normal!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Hi Comanche-

What's interesting about drinking dreams or at least my drinking dreams are there is always some form of regret or fear or shame about the actualy drinking.

I've never had a "fun" drinking dream and I'm 17'ish months sober. Oh and I still get them.

Kjell~
Yes that's interesting, that is always the feeling I get from my dreams about drinking. At a year and a half sober, I still have them very vividly. I am always relieved and grateful when I wake up and find out it's not the reality.

Dreams are supposed to be the subconscious mind's way of sorting and processing material, even if it seems jumbled and random. Dreams actually serve a very important psychological purpose.

I find that I usually only dream about something however when I am beginning to detach and let go of something from my life - when I am ready to deal with it. I don't see the dreams as omens or warnings that I am going to relapse.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Early on I used to get very vivid dreams, like free acid trips, that intense. What I noticed though, is that in working the steps, especially the disciplines of 10 and 11, emphasis on meditation, that they vanished. I really cannot recall a single dream since beginning working with meditation.

Could it be that going into the silence, clearing of the mind if you will, has something to do with it?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by michelle01 View Post
Yes that's interesting, that is always the feeling I get from my dreams about drinking. At a year and a half sober, I still have them very vividly. I am always relieved and grateful when I wake up and find out it's not the reality.

Dreams are supposed to be the subconscious mind's way of sorting and processing material, even if it seems jumbled and random. Dreams actually serve a very important psychological purpose.

I find that I usually only dream about something however when I am beginning to detach and let go of something from my life - when I am ready to deal with it. I don't see the dreams as omens or warnings that I am going to relapse.
I agree 100% and it sounds like we're having the same experience with our drinking dreams. I believe they can sometimes be important and not an omen of impending relapse (maybe even quite the opposite).

Kjell~
Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i dreamed a few nights ago that i chugged half a beer... then felt really bad about it and regretted it. its been 30 days tomorrow for me.. i think thats the second drinking dream ive had in the 30 days. im glad to head that im not the only one.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ive had them, i think they were more offten the first 30 days for me, could be another way our alcoholic minds are woking against us.

i say this because ive even had moderation dreams, in one dream i even walked away with a half a beer left at the table and remembered that part especialy, but thats not the way i drink when im awake.