Notices

Time to bounce back..

Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to bounce back..

Hi Guys,

Today was the first time i ever questioned being an alcoholic. As im starting to learn im a binge drinking type of alcoholic, when i drink, i always go over the top no matter how good my intentions are when i start. It really hit home the other night; started out with a few drinks, things were going well, and the next thing i know im waking up the morning after having no idea what happened. I know ive made at least one person hate me but im too embarrassed to ask anyone about what happened. This has been happening all my drinking life, but when i was younger it was always just funny and more accepted in my group of friends, but now its starting to affect my social life and slowly starting to affect my work life. Ive decided i have to stop this before i do anything worse or get into trouble with the law (DUI etc). Besides accepting i have a problem and going sober, starting here is my attempt at an active approach. Im still researching what else i can do to combat this and am open to any suggestions from anyone whos been through this.

...soo day 1.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Cart and welcome to SR!

SR is a great place to start and there is a wealth of information here. There are also many Aussies here so you will feel right at home.

Many find support necessary to quit...I get mine here at SR. I work with a life coach (like a therapist) getting my life back on track and I read a lot of self help books (I highly recommend "the easy way to quit drinking" by Allan Carr ).

See you arounda I hope!

LaFemme
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Cart.

There are more that a few ways to recover from alcohol addiction/alcoholism. Each of them are just a effective as the other. I choose SMART Recovery and CBT as my primary addiction treatment plan. Also being here at SR offers me the opportunity to have some peer support when I not attending an AA meeting. BTW, there is AA too. It works great for those that are open to having a Higher Power beliefs.

For me the bottom line with regards to addiction treatment is maintaining my behavioral change. No matter what I'm thinking or experiencing, I still have control over my behavior. There's no mystery about acting as a sober person. One gets what one dose.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Cart . . . glad you are here. You seem to recognize the problems alcohol has caused, which is a good beginning, and yes, you don't have to have that happen anymore. For me, it really helped to read here on SR a lot in the beginning days and keep a journal with lists (things I could gain from quitting, reasons I wanted to quit). The journal also kept a record of how I felt, which was important because it was a comfort to get it all down on paper.

Welcome!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

If you've come this far, then you are off to a good start in recognizing that you cannot drink alcohol anymore. Blackout drinking/next day guilt is the supreme sign of alcoholism. You are lucky that you haven't gotten into any bad trouble at this point but I'm pretty sure if you continue, then you will.
If I were you, I'd stick with this board and perhaps do a search for AA meetings nearest you. You've already taken the first step-admitting that the alcohol has power over you.
Best of luck!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cart, congrats on joining. I was in a similar place as you when I decided it was time to quit. I too was a binge drinker. By the time I quit, I pretty much only drank 3 or 4 times a month. But when I did drink, there was no telling what could happen (never anything good though). I made a LOT of people hate me.

I kept telling myself I wasn't *that* bad, looking at the people who had lost so much more than me to drugs/alcohol. But I realized that is a pretty crappy barometer to measure your own happiness and success.

Eventually I asked myself, "Why am I even drinking? All that ever happens is I waste time and money, risk embarrassing/hurting myself, and either screw up relationships or form unhealthy ones."

We don't have to lose it all before we decide it's time to quit.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Cart - glad to hear you're wanting to get sober. Sounds like you're like us - once that first drink or two is under our belt, there's no telling how many will follow.

Keep reading and posting - this is a good group of people!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I'm glad you're here seeking support.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Cart

D
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hello, this is a good place to be, if your always 'going over the top' then yes you might want to think things through.