Notices

Lets try this again.....

Old 04-25-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lets try this again.....

This year and the last month of the previous, started off pretty good for me. I was able to completely stop drinking, but lately, I've fallen back into my old ways.

Hard liquor was always my main problem and Im still 145 days hard liquor free. But I convinced myself it was OK to drink beer and wine again. Gradually got drinking the real strong 8 percent beers and now I know I gotta stay away from all of it completely.

Im feeling pretty crappy on this rainy Monday, so I dont have a whole lot to say. Thanks for reading.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back emex

If there's one thing I've learned it's that my condition doesn't differentiate between hard liquor and beer or wine...or even wine coolers....

it's all alcohol and it's the same to me.

D
Old 04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

Alcohol is alcohol, so it doesn't matter whether it's hard liquor or wine or beer. It's all the same, and will lead us to the same end.

I'm glad you're back seeking support, and know that you will feel better!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

emex4 sorry about that. I didn't read your second to last sentence.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I relapsed, I was drinking mouthwash and convincing myself that since it wasn't real, store-bought alcohol, I really wasn't relapsing. Really. I thought as long as I didn't progress from the mouthwash to the store-bought stuff, I was still OK, or sober, or something other than in full free-fall.

Then I read that mouthwash can make you go blind, so I switched to my drink of choice, vodka.

For my health.

Rationalization rides sidecar to insanity in alcoholism. Our disease is cunning-- it knows exactly how to twist the facts so that we continue to put alcohol in our body. You see it when people have different sobriety dates for drugs and alcohol. It's all part of the madness.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

FrothJay nailed it when he wrote about the insanity.

For me I was going for 'periods' in-between my drinking over my last 1-2 years and ergo thought I wasn't as bad off as I was in all my prior years. Then in the month before I hit bottom I went from periodic drinking back to daily drinking and quickly progressed into serious daily binge drinking.

Oh and I thought I was 'safer' because I was drinking mostly at wine bars. Guess I forgot both that you can get just as drunk in a fancy wine bar as a hole-in-the-wall drinking shots along with that fact that once I'm drunk I've got no problems heading over to the regular bars and doing shots. Apparently I had no issues getting behind the wheel of my car and driving drunk either even though I swore I'd never do that again because only bad people did that. Insanity. The freedom of not having to engage in those mental games is truly rewarding, I wish you the best with this attempt at your sobriety!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome back emex - I quickly learned how bad I got on hard liquor after just a handful of experiences, so quit drinking it early on, but still managed to become an alcoholic on wine/beer.

One thing I think that's absolutely necessary to staying sober is support. So get all you can, and take it one day at a time. You can get your life back....