Notices

Hello

Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello, my name is Joey and I will first admit that I am not sober, so I hope that I am not violating any rules here. I have been addicted to alcohol for many years now, just when I get off work I come home and drink to relax and what not. But over the years I've become dependent of it, as a result I've abandoned the things I enjoyed in the past to use my money for buying beer. I'm at a point where I am unhappy with this way of living, I want to get back to doing what I did in the past and loved but I know it's not going to be easy.

I'm happy I came across this forum, because even though I am new to this forum, each of you can probably relate to what I'm dealing with right now.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Joey! I wasn't sober the first time I posted here either, but I joined knowing that I really wanted to stop drinking. It was taking all my energy to get through the day and I found myself drinking by late afternoon even though I made a promise that morning not to.....

We know what it's like, so hang around and keep posting/reading. :ghug3
Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Joey!

You sound a lot like the way i was. Drinking was no longer fun or relaxing. It became almost a chore.

Hope you stick around -- post and read. This is a good place.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Joey

Many of us stumbled across this place just newly, or not yet sober - you're in the right place.

SR really helped me turn my life around - I hope we can help you do the same

D
Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks guys for the welcome and support! I will definitely be around, I know that beating this demon won't be easy and I will need some help and advice along the way.

Did any of you experience insomnia after becoming sober? That's my biggest thing right now, if I don't drink I can never get to sleep. So part of me has become dependent on drinking to help me sleep, otherwise if I am sober I can never fall asleep. Not sure how to deal with that being I have to be up at 7am for work. I just turned 30, so that is a bit part of why I have gotten to this point... I look back on my life and realize I miss the life I had before drinking took over. I miss all of that, I am drinking now but I admit... I have a problem and need to stop.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Joey. I'm glad you're here, and I hope you'll keep coming back.

It would be a good idea to speak with your doctor about detoxing in general...insomnia is part of that. At some point, though, you just have to decide that you're not going to drink, for helping with sleep or any other reason. For me, a sleepless night here and there means I am going to sleep the next night. Everyone is different, though, and it sounds like a question for a doc.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vesna View Post
Hi, Joey. I'm glad you're here, and I hope you'll keep coming back.

It would be a good idea to speak with your doctor about detoxing in general...insomnia is part of that. At some point, though, you just have to decide that you're not going to drink, for helping with sleep or any other reason. For me, a sleepless night here and there means I am going to sleep the next night. Everyone is different, though, and it sounds like a question for a doc.
Thanks, Vesna. I will make an appointment with my doctor to discuss all of this and go from there. You make a good point about a sleepless night means you will sleep well the next night. And on the nights I have gone sober and was unable to get a good night of sleep, going to work tired from lack of sleep was way better than going to work tired and groggy after a night of drinking.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, very little in life sucks more than going to work hung over, IMO!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR Joey!

Sleep problems are a very common reason for people to start, and continue, drinking. I can relate. I copied a couple SR links below. One has tips for dealing with sleep problems. Another is the link to the Insomnia Forum.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-insomnia.html

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Less sleep is better than drunk sleep! For most people sleep problems get better fairly quickly. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you Ghostly. I have quite a bit to read through, but from what I have read so far it is great advice and will help me pass over to the sober side.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

This link is also good for insomnia
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

D
Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, and I'm glad you are here! This is a great place to be, and I'm proud of you that your thoughts are heading in the right direction. I wasn't sober when I first found this site. I didn't register, but would read people's stories, knowing that deep down I had a problem with alcohol but wasn't prepared to actively do much about it - hence skulking around online without participating. But I know that was the time I really realized I needed to do something. I wish I hadn't waited so long before doing so, as everyone has been so incredibly supportive and interested in ME and MY story. Even if you are just posting 'hello', people have a kindly reply. I don't know where else you can find that...

I nearly died on April 19th 2011 after inhaling my vomit whilst I was asleep. I was a functioning alcoholic - a mom of two, successful artist and ceramics teacher, never had a DUI or a relationship fail because of my drinking, or any of those 'typical' (ha!) stories. But I was slowly killing myself. I didn't realize how badly I needed to quit until that night.

I'm now on day 5, feeling better - relieved that I'm out the other side - relieved that I don't have to think about my next drink - relieved I won't feel crappy/resentful of myself/guilty tomorrow, and so glad for all the wonderfully, strong and non judgmental people on here. Stick around. We are here for you.

OOh, I forgot to mention, I've found melatonin (over the counter natural sleep aid) has been helpful for me. I'm still finding it hard to drop off, but once I do, it's much easier to stay asleep until morning. And no more early morning wakings to gulp water from the bathroom faucet as I was so dehydrated....worth a try.

Last edited by newwings; 04-24-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: add on
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newwings View Post
Welcome, and I'm glad you are here! This is a great place to be, and I'm proud of you that your thoughts are heading in the right direction. I wasn't sober when I first found this site. I didn't register, but would read people's stories, knowing that deep down I had a problem with alcohol but wasn't prepared to actively do much about it - hence skulking around online without participating. But I know that was the time I really realized I needed to do something. I wish I hadn't waited so long before doing so, as everyone has been so incredibly supportive and interested in ME and MY story. Even if you are just posting 'hello', people have a kindly reply. I don't know where else you can find that...

I nearly died on April 19th 2011 after inhaling my vomit whilst I was asleep. I was a functioning alcoholic - a mom of two, successful artist and ceramics teacher, never had a DUI or a relationship fail because of my drinking, or any of those 'typical' (ha!) stories. But I was slowly killing myself. I didn't realize how badly I needed to quit until that night.

I'm now on day 5, feeling better - relieved that I'm out the other side - relieved that I don't have to think about my next drink - relieved I won't feel crappy/resentful of myself/guilty tomorrow, and so glad for all the wonderfully, strong and non judgmental people on here. Stick around. We are here for you.

OOh, I forgot to mention, I've found melatonin (over the counter natural sleep aid) has been helpful for me. I'm still finding it hard to drop off, but once I do, it's much easier to stay asleep until morning. And no more early morning wakings to gulp water from the bathroom faucet as I was so dehydrated....worth a try.
Thank you for sharing your own story with me, you coming close to death ultimately served a purpose... to help someone like me to overcome my problems.

I will have to check into melatonin.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's best practice to check with your doctor before starting any kind of natural remedy or supplements.

What has worked for others might not be suitable for you.

D
Old 04-24-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Meso...the road to recovery is not straight and narrow nor are the bumps and holes easy to steer clear of -but keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on your destination. You'll get there. Glad you're here. Its the best place you can be right now!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I WAS sober the first time I posted here, because I couldn't afford internet at college because I was buying so much booze. So i can definitely relate
Old 04-24-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found SR. This is going to be a very important place for you.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

WELCOME!!!!!
Yes, be prepared for a few nights of sleeplessness. It is your brain's fault: alcohol is a powerful depressant of the central nervous system. When you feed your body 24/7 with a powerful depressant your brain says: "Okay, I gotta do what I gotta do: release stimulants to keep this body walking".
So, as a reaction to the sleep-inducing effects of alcohol, your brain produced stimulants to keep you awake.
When you stop drinking, it will take about 4 or 5 days for your brain to stop producing those stimulants, hence, you will have sleeping trouble.
You have gotten some great advice here, especially that concerning a medically aided detox.
I will echo the comments of others and suggest a talk with your doctor and the possibility of medically aided detox.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Joey, welcome to the forum, i also was drinking on my first post, keep posting and reading, it has helped me so much.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome MesoMan! I pretty much stayed on SR all day and night my first week of quitting. I was taking it hour by hour then. I would distract myself by reading the posts until the urge to drink passed. It eventually did and I've been sober since. Of course sleep was elusive many nights, but I made it through! You can do this and reclaim your life.

Best Wishes To You!