Notices

Oh crap, here we go...

Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh crap, here we go...

I'm at day 2 and was all hopeful and excited that I've been doing so well...feeling good, no withdrawal symptoms, looking forward to getting on with my life. And now, it's almost quitting time and all I can think about is going to the liquor store and getting vodka. It's a beautiful day out today...I could go on a long walk with my dogs, hang outside and read, go to a movie or see my family... Why oh why would I rather get a bottle of vodka and sit in front of my computer playing video games by myself instead??
This is awful. In my previous post, I said I was having trouble labeling myself as an alcoholic, but if I can't go 2 full days without getting wasted...um, yeah. Time to wake up. This sucks.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oooo you sound JUST LIKE ME! Vodka and the computer! Day after day after day....

I'm on day 8 now and whats worked so far is getting busy every night...I've been doing AA meetings, church meetings, hanging out with the SO when he's not working...

Being with other people in the same boat has really really helped. I am a huge isolator...so I guess this is why. I need people!

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh forgot another thing...naps and food. I don't mean junk food, but just eating a regular meal at night...instead of hitting the bottle and not eating anythying...
Old 04-06-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Love,

It sounds like this has been a bit of learning experience for you. I know that I had no idea when I crossed the invisible line of addiction, but I sure found out that there was no going back.

Hang in there, and enjoy your day!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A book that made quitting, well easy, was called "the easy way to quit drinking" by Allan Carr ...if you wanted to try reading it I highly recommend it.

Go walk your dogs too...they will be happier for it and so will you
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So, ha ha...my co-worker came up to me and said, "You look really cheerful and vibrant today. You look good! You usually look so grumpy and tired." Had no idea how obvious it must be to other people how out of it and drained I usually am. So, good motivation to just go home and walk the dogs and maybe hit a meeting.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Friend of mine asked me what I did different..."You're face looks different, did you change your hair color...etc etc"...

I fessed up and said I quit drinking lol...
Old 04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Genjen View Post
Friend of mine asked me what I did different..."You're face looks different, did you change your hair color...etc etc"...

I fessed up and said I quit drinking lol...
I've heard that before...quitting drinking makes your puffy/bloaty-ness go down and people will ask if you've lost weight, what are you doing different, etc. I can't wait for that (I tend to get a really puffy face from drinking)! But I'm really struggling right now. The urge to just say screw it, I'll quit later is HUGE right now. How long did it take for these intense cravings to subside? Weeks? Months? Years?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lovelife

Welcome to SR - you are doing well. Two days is a great step!!

I can relate to getting compliments in early recovery. It really made me wake up and realise the damage I had been doing to my body. I seriously look about 10 years younger now, and people often comment how well I look.

In regards to cravings, it really does depend on the person but be assured the cravings do pass. Just take this one day at a time and work on your recovery plan. It is a good focus for getting yourself better and mentally strong again.

Take care
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know lovelife...that's why im staying busy every night...honestly the first few days were pretty hard, then it evened out for a few days, then had some real life drama hit me and I ran to a meeting...believe it or not that stress from drama that was up to my ears went down super fast...took a deep breath and I relaxed....was strange.

I'm trying to be very selective about what I allow around me and what I do...trying to be careful with what I can handle and can't right now. I guess maybe I'm babying myself a bit til i get a month or so under my belt (or however long)...

that nightly habit is a beotch to break...but I DO feel better...and I am finding more time to do other things...enjoying the life outside my vodka/comp bubble =)
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can relate. While I'm not dying for a drink just yet (this is day 02), I can see the inevitable situation where I have the house to myself and I'm feeling lost and confused... and I'm scared I won't have the power to avoid the usual solution = drinking.

Though like people say, keep busy. Replace the old habits with new ones and keep repeating that new habit.

Drink herbal tea while you play computer games instead! You might win more too when you are playing sober
Old 04-06-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Meow

Hang in there LoveLife. The craving will pass. Drink some water and make sure you are not hungry. That will help.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay strong, it will pass. Go for a walk, go to a movie or clean the house, keep yourself busy it helps distract your mind from the cravings.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm on day 8, so I can really relate with what you're saying. It's really hard though to get out and do things. I'm avoiding social stuff 'cause I'm worried that I'll be tempted to have drink. I'm also not sure how to relate to people without at least a few drinks in me.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Im the same way. Went out for a run today because my alcoholic mind kept telling me that it would be ok today drink today and that just one more time wouldnt hurt. Im on day 23 and the cravings have not left yet. I constantly am trying to find ways to occupy my time just so I dont have to think about it. We just have to keep working at it and from what everyone tells me the cravings go away eventually. Keep up the good work and lets whip that booze.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think one almost have to diarise every single minute.... I suppose I just have to get over the fear that if I go out into the real world I'll start drinking again!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
A book that made quitting, well easy, was called "the easy way to quit drinking" by Allan Carr ...if you wanted to try reading it I highly recommend it.

Go walk your dogs too...they will be happier for it and so will you
I have read many books on alcoholism and behavioral (sp?) books on methods to help you change your long term habits and behaviors to more positive things. I read the book LaFemme mentioned just last month. If you are motivated to stop when you start the book, it will definitely give a push to your motivation. His book on quitting smoking I read back in 2000 and on 4/1/2000 (Aprils FOOLS day, an intentional choice on my part), I put out my last smoke and never looked back (after 20+ years of smoking). His books shine the stark light of reality on why we do what we do and when seen in the light, how absurd it is to do the harmful things we do.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My cravings to drink went away when I started practicing gratitude every day. Then, around four to six months, I noticed I no longer wanted to drink. It felt very freeing.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well, congratulations on day 2.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice and support you guys! I made it through the night without drinking! Went on a walk with my dogs, watched a few episodes of The Office and went to bed early (well, earlier than usual anyway). I'll definitely check out the book!