Notices

Oh crap, here we go...

Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I watched dumb TV, went to a meeting every night, went to bed early, read books, to break up my routine after work.

It wasn't comfortable at first. Not only are you quitting drinking, you are shaking up your routine. One thing I did was to buy a laptop and work in a different room from the one I was used to parking at with drink by my side.

I still get coffee or iced tea or something as soon as I come home from work. I also switched to showering after work, which gives me a "work day's done" feeling.

Note this is NOT "how to recover" advice--my recovery is based on AA. But these things did make the transition to "not drinking" easier for me.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Larry45 View Post
I can relate. While I'm not dying for a drink just yet (this is day 02), I can see the inevitable situation where I have the house to myself and I'm feeling lost and confused... and I'm scared I won't have the power to avoid the usual solution = drinking.

Though like people say, keep busy. Replace the old habits with new ones and keep repeating that new habit.

Drink herbal tea while you play computer games instead! You might win more too when you are playing sober
Hi Larry45! Well, if you find yourself in that situation, take your own advice and keep busy! Or just remove yourself from the situation and do something outside.
I honestly think it'd be better for me to just stay away from my computer when I'm at home. I'm so used to coming home and immediately parking in front of my laptop with my vodka that I'm worried it'd be like Pavlov's dogs and the moment I sit in front of it, I'm gonna want a drink. Since it's Spring and starting to warm up here, I think I'm gonna try to get outside as much as possible. That will help with my fatty syndrome too.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Lovelife27 View Post
watched a few episodes of The Office
The Office is by far, the best comedy on TV and has been for some time.

In regards to havng cravings or just feeling "off"...

Do something, anything, everything different. ...and go help someone else.

It works. Every. Single. Time.

Kjell~
Old 04-07-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I use AVRT techniques - it's always available...instantly. here is a crash course on it. https://rational.org/index.php?id=35

Give it a try and see if it helps you.

Note - you do not have to subscribe to anything to take this crash course (it's free).

Last edited by Genie; 04-07-2011 at 06:27 AM. Reason: forgot to add something.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
The Office is by far, the best comedy on TV and has been for some time.

In regards to havng cravings or just feeling "off"...

Do something, anything, everything different. ...and go help someone else.

It works. Every. Single. Time.

Kjell~
Arrested Development...if you haven't seen it, do so immediately.

Yeah, I'm starting to get a glimpse of all the things my life could be without wasting my time being someone I'm not (drunkie). Getting active, volunteering, getting creative, cooking, taking care of myself...it goes on and on and on. I used to feel like my life was so empty and sad and that the only thing that could help was alcohol. Now I'm seeing my life was empty and sad because of alcohol. It's still early days for me, but I'm getting excited for the future. That's something I haven't felt in a long, long time.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Lovelife27 View Post
Now I'm seeing my life was empty and sad because of alcohol. It's still early days for me, but I'm getting excited for the future. That's something I haven't felt in a long, long time.
(and true with me too)
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I had to lay off the computer games when I first got sober - there are things I did just to accompany drinking, if you know what I mean. I found that after a while, I could do some of those things again and some I found I actually didn't care about doing anymore.

With the time I would have wasted on games, I researched and designed my own website, spent more time with my children, and started knitting an afghan.
You're doing great - congrats on another day sober!!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=artsoul;2926688]- there are things I did just to accompany drinking, if you know what I mean.

Oh, yes! I definitely know what you mean! Computer games, video games, movies, talking on the phone--all just ways to feel like I was "productively" using my time while drinking. SO dumb. : )