Notices

Newcomer sober 1 day

Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well day three starts. I am still alive and kicking. Literlay kicking, RLS sucks. Got 3 hrs of sleep last night. Sorry I miscounted my clean days. Better than I thought.The days run into each other. Ican't wait to get home and get on my chopper and go for a ride to clear my head. I'll tell you what,you have to be a tough SOB to quit this cold turkey. My hats off to all of your who have done it or are in the process of doing it.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Keep it up Harley and you're doing great, but remember this is only a beginning.

There is going to be much to do when you get back home if you want true, lasting sobriety.

Kjell~
Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 3 1/2 and I am ready for it to be over. God I can't take the RLS and the flip, flop in my stomach much more. No diareah thank god for amodium,but the heebie jeebies are killing me and I don't get much sleep.
I do feel fortunate to have found this forum to talk to others that are suffering along with me or that have been there. other people just don't understand it.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Also, I could use a little encouragement if it's not to much to ask. I am really suffering today. If I had acces, I am sure I would cheat. Thank God I came to the mountains of Colorado to detox so I can't cheat. Not to shabby for a dumb biker from Florida, huh?:rotfxko
Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Harley, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! You Can.

A boyfriend of mine lost his brother to suicide. Oxy's had made him so lonely, disoriented, depressed, withdrawn, that his mind tricked him into thinking the only way out was to kill himself. My boyfriend also abused oxy's and took the methadone route to get clean. It didn't work, just made him dependent on something else again.... eventually, he got clean and sober through AA. He detoxed with his family, who had already lost a son, and then did everything in his power to stay clean. I truly believe if he continued using, he would be lost as well.

There is more to life. Even if we (I am new to this as well) don't know what it is yet, it is there. Believe that your last three days of hell have been for something, and that your life means much much more.

On a lighter note, I assume you ride a Harley. I just bought my first one. My pops couldn't be more proud. Please keep writing if it helps!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hopefull, you have no idea how hard it is for me to keep writing here, but I feel if I don't then i"ll go nuts. What model Harley did you get? I have an old Sportster that I built oout of 2 wrecked bikes. I rode it for a year and now I'm stripping it and cutting it into a cool bobber. I also have a ridgid chopper with a springer front end 4" over legs and a hardtail frame. NO suspension. You can run over a dime and tell if it's head or tails. I had to tell all my riding buddies that I was going to Colorado for vacation. If they knew I was drying out I would probably get kicked out, but then again, when I get back I think I'm going to quit the club.
What's your scoop if you don't mind me asking. Withdrawls or done with them yet?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey Harley,
I bought a 2011 superlow Sportster and I'm pumped. My pops rides a Road King and this is my first bike- I just got my license. I keep telling myself that this will help me stay sober, as my drug of choice is the drink. I know if I drink and ride my bike, I will die. Plain and simple.
This is my fourth day without drinking, and it is miserable. Friday night was one of my many lows. Normally, I'd just wake up and have a drink and continue on, drive to the bar and do it all over. Keeping drinking is the only way to not worry about any regrets from the night before, right? Yeah, until I make more regrets that night.
I know that alcohol withdrawals and oxy withdrawls are very different, but I also know that you will live through them. Obviously you know that there are significant reasons why you should stop- hell you went to another state to do it!! That is awesome, and commited. Don't give up.
Not all riders abuse. My pops doesn't, and he gives me hope. He rides all over the place and has a genuine passion for it. It's a nasty stereotype that you must be into something if you ride. I don't think you should go back to Florida, but don't think about that now. Think about the possibility of tomorrow and everything you can do and see with your life when it stops revolving around drugs.
Do me a favor and just smile right this second!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Everyday you do not use is a miracle. Your really close to bring out of the "eye of the storm" so to speak. Not only should you be encouraged by your success this far, you should be proud. Not everybody makes it cold turkey. Hold your head high and take it minute by minute if need be. Remember how you feel right now. Hold it close and never forget. You only have to do this once and your free. Peace and love.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

How long does this crap last? Gotta tell ya, today has been literly one minute at a time. I tell myself if I can make it this minute, I am one step closer, but it is rough. If when I get home and someone calls me a "quiter" I swear I'll send mhim to the hospitol. The good thing is that even though I ride with a rough crowd, some of the old timers are clean and sober and have been for years.
See? I made it another minute, yeah me!
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ha, Ha 3 5/8 days now. Every little bit counts to me. Cold turkey. Anyone that has done it cold turkey is a bad m'fer in my book. I'm only part way through it. My hats off to anyone here that did it. Ha Ha made it through 2 more minutes. One day at a time? Bull#### one minute at a time right now. Any body out there? Need to talk before I go stir crazy. Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again Harleybobber

If you want to speak to people in real time, chat might be your answer.

In case this is your first time using it...on the big blue toolbar that runs across every page 'chat room' is on the right hand side - use the drop down menu to enter chat.

D
Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Man I've done cold turkey more times in the last 10 years than I can count. The worst of it should be over soon. About 3-5 days. My longest detox was about 10 but the thing was I sat in my bed feeling sorry for myself and beating myself up. As soon as you feel slightly better do things you enjoy but don't overwhelm yourself. Babysteps By medical books the worst is over around 72 hours. But the w/d can hang on for a minute. I look at it like crossing a river. It's real shallow on both sides. Not that bad. But in the middle **** gets deep, but the only way to cross that river is to go through the deep. I'd say your gettin pretty close to the good shallow side hang in there and keep reaching out for help.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Wether you realize it or not your posts represent hope. Hope to anyone still using. Someone might be reading this thread right now and thinking "if they can do it?????".
Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey Harley, do you ride? It will be over soon man. Hang in there. It will be about 5 days before you start to feel better but once you get through it, the hard part is over.

I cannot claim to be clean but I have had my share of widthdrawls and oxy widthdrawls are hell on earth brother. I know exactly what you are going through. I've done it myself.

Don't give in. This is the hard part. a couple more days brother and the living can start!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey Harley, I have no experience with Oxy withdrawal but wanted to welcome you. Hang in there!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yup I ride about 10,000 miles a year with some of the shadiest characters you'll ever meet, but good lord is it fun. I do get to ride with some clubs, but usually stickl to a few friends. I am at 3 3/4 days now.Each minute is a bear, but this too shall pass. To anyone that reads this and is thinking about quiting, I took 300-450mgs of oxy per day. Thats 10 to 15 30 mg pills a day. I quit cold turkey Sat. night. It ain't easy, BUT it is doable. I just look at the bright side after I'm done. DO IT for your own sake your health, your happiness. God Bless
Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Ha, I actually thought that when I was a year sober I'd surprise muhself with a bike. I was even on the HarleySite looking for something. BUT since I've lost my job because I was drinking and am still out of work I'm not holding my breath...just taking it one day at a time...!
Have you ever hit Sturgis? I'm in SD and heard its awesome fun!
I hope you're doing better...I can't imagine the feeling. I'm sorry you have to deal with that alone.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Emerald, I've been to every Bike week in Daytona since 1979, and every Biketoberfest in Daytoona since it started in '93?. Ispent 10 days there this year and I was still an abuser, but good lord was it fun. Nothinglike riding in a pack of 50 members of a 1%er club (name withheld due to possible consequences). Not a member, but good friends with some members.
I just went for a 2 mile walk here in the high elevation. I feel like I can't get enough air in this high elevation. I'm used to Florida 6 feet above sea level where the air is thick and makes lots of power in a bike.
Emerald, get a bike, no matter what it is. Nothing clears your head like a 2 hr. motorcycle ride with no plan. Just go whever the road takes you.
By the way 3 3/4? days now. Not 1 minute at a time like this morning, a little better.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yeah, the air on this side of the country is thinner than Florida. It's good clean air not bogged down with pelican poop.
Although, here on the prairie, a freshly fertilized corn field will make your hair curl on a muggy day.

I'll need a doggie side car for that bike...
Old 04-05-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I have a friend who has a plastic tote box bungied to hisback seat for his min pin and chiuaua. He's 6'5 and 300, nobody says squat to him about it either lest they decide they want to eat out of a straw.:rotfxko
What's your bag brother, Drink? Drugs? Sorry if i'M PRYING, BUT IF i CAN , i'LL help
Brother Bones
Whoops,I missed it, drinking. Hell I drank everday from 18-30. Quit July 5,2000. Not because I was forced to by the law,etc. I was just tired of spending my money on booze and feeling like junk. Wanna know a secret? I spent 20,000 in the last 6 months on oxycodone pills. That's a new STreet Glide. That's what I get to sleep with every night, god I suck