Notices

Binge Drinking

Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge Drinking

Hello all,

My name is Diane and I have a problem with binge drinking. I drink about once a week and it's an all day event. I spend the next day feeling awful (today is the day I am hungover and feeling awful)

My problem is that then through the week I feel fine and seem to forget how I can't stop at one drink or how awful it is. Basically I'm losing two days out of every week and I forget how stupid and out of control my drinking is.

I first joined this forum back in November when I recognized I had a problem. I did go to my local AA for a week or so but they were so religious and were pretty judgemental and rude when I said I wasn't religious. I suppose I never found another group and could have if I wanted to.

I wish my brain would feel the same way it does today all the time - that drinking is bad for me, that I cannot stop once I start and it's a waste of time.

I also forget the self loathing and embarrassment I feel after having been on a binge.

There. Felt good to get that out.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome diane!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Diane - I can certainly relate!
seem to forget how I can't stop at one drink or how awful it is
I think the urge just gets so strong, maybe, that we're willing to try once again (maybe this time I'll stop short of the pain?)....... I really don't know why we forget, but I know I did.

I still come here everyday in part because I feel like I need that reminder every day. I'm just glad you're back and hope you feel better soon!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Diane...I binged alot, too! I know how you feel.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MrX

I completely relate!

Your story matches my situation perfectly. It's terrible how alcohol gets the better of me once a week. It is now time to STOP.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Hi Diane. Just wanted to say "Hi". This is a great place to come for advice and support. I'm sorry you had a negative experience with AA. I don't know if you tried any different meetings or not, but oftentimes each group has a different feel.

While AA is certainly the most popular and available program, there are other options. This is a link to our Secular forum, where there is a list of secular programs that you may find more helpful. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cular-web.htmlThe down side to them is that most of them are on-line based. Some have face to face meetings, but they are usually in larger cities. Anyway, welcome back, stick around, there's a lot of good folks around here. Take care.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...al-alergy.html
Here is a link I posted that I hope will sort out what physically happens when one consumes alcohol.

There are many other AA meetings structured independently
to one another that are not bias to what your beliefs are.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies and the link Tyler. I did find that there is a Smart Recovery group about twenty miles from me and it's once weekly. Seeing as it's once weekly I might go.

I think it was as much my fault that I didn't continue to go to AA - I can't really put the blame on them. I was just a little taken aback at the amount of religous content and was told if I didn't have any faith then I needed to find a religion.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by draper View Post
I did go to my local AA for a week or so but they were so religious and were pretty judgemental and rude when I said I wasn't religious.
Sounds like you found yourself a pretty sh%&#y group. Anyone with any knowledge whatsoever about AA knows you don't have to be religious to work the program. Hell, if Bill W. weren't agnostic himself there wouldn't be an AA as we know it now.

I came into the program agnostic and still consider myself as such. That being said, I pray every day to a higher power whom I call God. I would encourage you to give AA another shot - if someone as anti-religion as myself can find spirituality through this program, anyone can. Welcome.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm with Greg, you should be able to find a better group than that. I'd try SMART in a minute if it were around here.