Notices

Found something that works!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Found something that works!

Eating! It just does not go well with drinking. I just ate dinner, which I rarely do, and don't want to drink at all, because I'm not hungry...does that even make any sense?

Omg, I feel so much better. While drinking, I ate very little and only at around noon, like maybe a bowl of cereal and that would be it for the day because I would start power drinking and that (as we all know) requires an empty stomach.

So, eating and taking vitamins is working for me...I'm on day 4. Seriously think I might be malnourished from the stupid drinking...thinner than usual, hair falling out, eyesight not good. Going to a doctor this week.

Anyone else try this simple approach? I just remember the dad from Angelas Ashes, by Frank McCourt...he never ate, was a raging alcoholic, said food was a "shock to the system", which I could totally relate to...
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I had lost about ten pounds (which I didn't need to lose) during the last few months of my drinking. The alcohol caused me to lose my appetite. At that time, I had no idea about the correlation between alcohol and hypoglycemia, which I knew I had. And, I know that I was lacking B vitamins which are often low in alcoholics. And, yeah, it didn't take me long to regain my appetite and the weight I had lost.

Good for you for taking action.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This must be a common problem in early recovery days...feeling like sh*t because of the physical toll alcohol takes on the body...just eating a decent meal made me feel so much better...it's been weeks, maybe months...hope this helps others...
Old 04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Works for me too, pink. Nine times outa ten when I think I''m having an alcohol craving and I eat something, it goes away.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nancyj View Post
Works for me too, pink. Nine times outa ten when I think I''m having an alcohol craving and I eat something, it goes away.
Yes...the craving went away...there must be some sort of physiological reason for this...
Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I first quit I wasn't hungry alot either...I'm not a big eater anyway but I would eat the same time every night and make a big ritual out of it. Then I'd make my tea, nuke it for two minutes, 1/2 spoon sugar, stir, place spoon on counter in 'the spot'. Go to the livingroom and place my feast upon the table...besides really eating and feeling better I was creating a new habit. I like this habit better than the old one.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In AA we call that don't get to hungry, angry, lonely or tired (HALT)
Old 04-04-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Eating definitely helps calm the urge to drink..... I found that i had a big appetite the first month.

Right after I quit I ordered dinner from one of my favorite restaurants each night. It was my little reward for getting through the day instead of drinking. It gave me something to look forward to, I spent less $ than I did on the alcohol and it gave me that sensation of being satisifed which helped with the cravings..... so yeah, it really helped me a lot.

My appetite settled down eventually and I've lost 15 pounds......

Wish I had some king crab right now, hmmm..................
Old 04-04-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At the end when I ate I ate crap. I took rotten care of myself because I didn't care about myself in any way shape or form. Not only does food nourish you and replace the craving it also is an expression of self love.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yup! It helps doesnt it...heck I used to use eating just so I wouldn't drink so much sometimes...but then it blew my buzz, lol...

But yeah I just had a sandwich after being grumpy from a long monday and I do feel better.

Still hitting a meeting though...
Old 04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Genjen View Post
Still hitting a meeting though...
Bingo
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah - I used to do pretty much the same thing...not eat all day and drink lots. I would often eat right before bed and wake up feeling like someone was stabbing me in the stomach. Lots of heartburn and some major - ahem - bowel issues.

This might sound kind of weird, but my replacement drink at night is unsulphered blackstrap molasses in milk. Lots of potassium, iron, vitamin b6, calcium and magnesium.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bevin View Post
Yeah - I used to do pretty much the same thing...not eat all day and drink lots. I would often eat right before bed and wake up feeling like someone was stabbing me in the stomach. Lots of heartburn and some major - ahem - bowel issues.

This might sound kind of weird, but my replacement drink at night is unsulphered blackstrap molasses in milk. Lots of potassium, iron, vitamin b6, calcium and magnesium.
Really! I will look into that as I am seriously vitamin deficient at this point, and the vitamins I am taking havent seemed to help yet...even tho I am doubling up on them. Its unbelievable the starvation that goes hand-in-hand with heavy drinking.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Know what else? I'm thinking not enough water has added to my irritability...I've switched to tea and coffee from alcohol, maybe too much ya know...sitting in meetings etc...think I need to watch taht as well...
Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkroses View Post
Yes...the craving went away...there must be some sort of physiological reason for this...
Maybe you have an oral fixation (a la Freud). I'm pretty sure I do, so I just keep a glass of something nearby and have been eating constantly and it seems to cut down on the cravings. Not great for the waistline long term, but our bodies definitely need the nourishment now