Notices

Never felt this lonely.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never felt this lonely.

After putting my foot down and saying, "I'm done" on the 27th, I still ended up drinking yesterday and today. I'm new to my command (military), boyfriend broke up with me last weekend (due to some harsh words while smashed), and I'm the farthest I've ever been from home. I don't have a car due to crashing it on the way up here from San Diego, and I'm quite broke. When it comes down to it, plain and simple..I've never felt so alone in my life. In the past week I've lost over 8 pounds (!) and havn't slept more than a few hours each night. I'm emotionally and physically -exhausted-.

Getting sober for good seems like the most impossible thing in the world right now. I feel like I don't have a single friend in this whole state, and the support system that was my guy is gone too. I feel like such a loser whining like this but I'm hoping someone here understands where I'm coming from.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi anchors.

I think support is really vital so if your old support is gone maybe it's time to build some new networks?

I really encourage you to look around at what available on base, or nearby, for support for folks like us.

....and read and post here as much as you like - really plug yourself in - we're open 24/7

D
Old 04-01-2011, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You really are going through a lot right now..... and I'm so sorry everything seemed to happen at once. Being a depressant, alcohol will only make you feel worse (not to mention the anxiety, being hungover, etc).

If you stay sober, things can only get better. You're not a loser - you're in a tough spot right now, but you can start building a better life....... one step at a time, one day at a time.

Sending prayers and hugs.....
Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just sending you positive thoughts and cyber support. Being lonely sucks...being drunk and lonely sucks much much worse.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone.. it's good to hear from someone
Old 04-02-2011, 12:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome anchors! There's lots of support on this site.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 04-02-2011, 12:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Anchors!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am hoping that there is another woman you can connect with and begin a friendship.

Maybe there is someone there with you that needs you just as much as you need her.

Be on the lookout!

You have us for support...keep posting.

Everything is going to be alright.

It's hard to get sober while drinking! I have learned the hard way!

If you really want to stop, you have to go through some difficult days perhaps....and I read the book Alcoholics Anonymous and it's very helpful for me.

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

I also pray to God for help.

You can do it!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey!

I understand how you feel. I also am the loneliest I have ever been right now in my life....My car just broke down today as well. I have been sober for a little over 2 months. Quite the time to be lonely and have car issues.

One thing that helps is perspective. Take a step out of your body and look at yourself from a perspective of curiosity....What I mean is, I find it somewhat interesting to think about the different phases of my life..Last year I had friends and a relationship and no depression....now my life is the opposite...its just a phase...a part of life. There are ups and downs....the downs just seem to last longer because we wallow in them and time passes slower.

Gettin g off the booze will force you to take productive steps towards fixing those things that are wrong with your life. For example, in the past when I was lonely...I would get hammered and meet people at bars. No inhibitions....they liked me for who I was...DRUNK! Now, sober, I am forced to take on the challenge of finding REAL friends who like me for who I really am...this means I have to work on myself, my social skills, my friendship skills etc. I can no longer take the easy way out. Same goes with car issues....sober, I have to make more responsible decisions, take initiative to fix and maintain my car etc. Cant take the easy way out anymore....I am growing up!

Good luck and PM me if you need a friend!

Rob
Old 04-02-2011, 01:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have only been sober 3 months. I will text you my number. My dad was in the Army and I 100 percent understand the lifestyle you are in. Call me if you want. I don't have all the wisdom in the world. But. I do have a listening ear... and maybe just alittle bit of wisdom. Honestly and truly the best of luck. No matter what decision you have made about drinking today. You can make a differend decision tomm.

Regards,
Saliena
Old 04-02-2011, 02:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

I know you've seen the commercials on AFN, would be willing to bet that they have meetings fairly close by, why not try a little outside face to face support?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

WELCOME! Help is out there my friend! You already tapped into a great one (this forum) The lonliest I have ever felt in my life is when I quit drinking. Alcohol was my best friend. It "comforted" me, "entertained" me and "helped" me cope with all of lifes petty problems. WOW...when I took that away I was instanly in panic mode and depressed. Fast forward a few months, a few AA meetings, a few new friends and life without alcohol. Its amazing. I have a new way of life. The freedom is most excellent. Im an alcoholic so I crave my old buddy every now and then. No craving though is worth my life being in the $hi!!!er again! You can do this! Right now it seems all uphill! I promise its not!
Old 04-02-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, Anchors. I'm really glad you're here...and I'm so sorry that you're going through a rough time right now. I know what it's like to be without a support network (it sucks) so even though it might take a little time and effort, do try to reach out and meet new people - both here at SR and in person. Is AA an option for you? I found it to be invaluable when I first started trying to get sober - both because the program actually works and because I made some great friends and developed an amazing network of women to support and be supported by there.

Do post here as often as you'd like as well, SR is an amazing community. And take care of yourself physically...alcohol takes a toll on your body, so rest, plenty of fluids, moderate exercise, and most importantly a bit of chocolate (!) are all very helpful.

Hang in there...it WILL get better!

:ghug3

Stephanie
Old 04-02-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Anchors..

Firstly, thank you for your service to our country.

Secondly, you might want to check out some AA meetings. They have helped me with my recovery, and provided some face to face support. I have also been able to connect and make friends with some pretty amazing folks.

Hoping your weekend is a good one...
Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family, Anchors! You too, Deanpotter!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel the same. I have messed up my relationships and it seems my friends would rather not know me. I feel like I have no one to turn to.

I'm glad that, even though I haven't posted here I can see from the threads that many others feel/ felt this way and that it does change.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i am feeling lonely as well right now... seeing as my boyfriend just broke up with me because of drinking as well. you are not alone... which i learned very soon on this site. we will both find alot of support on here. and we also both know that drinking right now is only maybe going to make us feel better short term.. in the long run it will only make matters worse. hang in there.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome...and Thank You for your service. I have 2 boys in the Army right now.
I think you need to reach out beyond your circle and find some new support. Of course, this is a great site to be on for that, but I'm sure the military has some type of rehab program for recovery? I don't know but you should look into what's available in your area. You need support.
Glad you're here...!