Notices

It happened...I got caught.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It happened...I got caught.

Yup, it happened. Took 8 years. But I got caught driving drunk. I got arrested and charged with a dui. I blew a .1883. Now I have to go to court, and pray that I can get accepted for a program and a work permit. Not to mention, 4 days later, I got caught with my cell phone in my hand while driving, and got a $100 ticket as well. I am ready to give up my license. I just give up.

So I had to call my mom and tell her what happened. I know she is disappointed in me, but also just happy that I didn't hurt or kill anyone. I haven't called my dad and told him yet. Really would rather not...but I guess I will have to tell him why I cant drive anywhere, if they suspend my license. This whole thing just really sucks. I guess this is my bottom. I feel so sick with disappointment in myself. My husband is hoping that this is my experience to make me want to stop drinking. And I haven't had a drink since I got caught. And I know I shouldn't. But I guess I just feel like..."well now I just cant drink and drive". But I guess I know that that is not true (well it is, but it's not all that is true).

So now I have to wait to go to court and see what happens, I guess...
Old 04-01-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you did not injure or kill others or yourself.

I sure hope you will finally quit drinking
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this. I am sorry it has happened, lets hope its your springboard into sobriety. People get multiple DUIs, let this be your first and last. *hugs*
Old 04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sorry it happened, but grateful you did not hurt yourself or anyone else. I will also be grateful if it is the event that gets you sober.

I remember when your co-worker made a cake for you to celebrate 30 days. I remember the ups and downs you had when you were trying to stay sober last time.

You may not get another chance, so please think about this and what it means for you and your ability to handle alcohol.

I wish you the best in court.

Praying for you. . ..
Old 04-01-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you believe you're an alcoholic?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know much, but I do know that without a substantial change none of us quit. DUI's, divorce, losing jobs, etc.. none of it can compete with that first drink when we're active. It took me finding another solution for life that I can use in place of the booze. That solution was / is AA.

I wish you the best.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
Do you believe you're an alcoholic?
Do I drink alone? Yes.
Do/Did I drink daily? Yes.
Did I not pay other things to make sure I had money to drink? yes.
Do I think about drinking almost every waking minute? Yes.

Perhaps...yes. I am an alcoholic. My father is. My grandfather (mom's dad) is a recovering alcoholic.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trixieisme View Post
Do I drink alone? Yes.
Do/Did I drink daily? Yes.
Did I not pay other things to make sure I had money to drink? yes.
Do I think about drinking almost every waking minute? Yes.

Perhaps...yes. I am an alcoholic. My father is. My grandfather (mom's dad) is a recovering alcoholic.
I appreciate the honest answer. I know it's hard. But we all often assume that someone is an alcoholic, when sometimes, they aren't sure. And it doesn't matter what we think-- it matters what you think. That's where it starts.

So the next question is: have you tried to stop before? And what did that look like? What happened?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One more question. Do you romanticise drinking? I know that alot of people that post mention it is so hard to NOT drink..how will they ever have fun again? For me..once I started seeing close friends die to alcohol related [email protected] I can't even count the number of DUIs that were handed out in 2010 to people I drank with..not to mention the toll it was taking on my body..I see nothing FUN about it. Think about all the catastophic domino effect alcohol has..maybe if you change the way you think about it -you will not be tempted to drink again. I wish you well...
Old 04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you won't be drinking and driving anymore.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I am really glad nobody was hurt and I hope this will be your bottom.

I remember your older posts too. Maybe you can go back and check them out yourself. Drinking causes you a bunch of pain.

I am so glad I never got to that point of driving drunk, though my bottom was really ugly. And I do still want to drink even in recovery but now I've got some tools that help keep me sober. I hope you get off this elevator soon; it only goes down from where you are now.

We're here for you. Much love.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad your safe and you did not hurt anyone else while you were driving. Some lessons need to be learned the hard way, hopefully you can leave the drinking behind from this point on.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Going back and reading your old posts is a great idea. One thing that just struck me, is the title of the thread ".....I got caught."

Think about that. Yes, you got caught drinking and driving. But what does that mean to you? I am guessing, this is not the first time you drove drunk. If that is the case, the odds were that should you continue, you would get caught, which you did.

But is it enough to catch yourself? Are you done falling down? Or do you have further to go? Have you indeed caught yourself yet. I hope the answer is yes.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Trixie, I hope you look at this as the opportunity to get sober and into recovery. All the best.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When we make bad decisions we suffer consequences. We can either learn from them or ignore the warning. Perhaps this is your wake up call. Maybe you were caught for a reason. Maybe that reason was to save your life and the lives of innocent people.

This could have been so much worse! Look at it as a blessing. Imagine having to live with yourself if someone was killed? That's what I told myself when I got caught! It was no ones fault but my own. I admitted it and payed for my mistake. Losing your license and paying fines is a lot easier to accept then possible jail for manslaughter or worse. Your alive today for a reason my friend. I hope you figure out what that is.

Best Wishes to You
Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to see you back under these circumstances K...but I really hope you can use this as a turning point to accept your problem and to do something about it.

I wish you the best
D
Old 04-01-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hugs...I'm so glad you are ok and didn't hurt anyone. I remember how hard you were working at you r sobriety in the fall (I think)...I have faith you can do this. I hope this is what you need to get sober.

Xo, LaFemme
Old 04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by trixieisme View Post
But I got caught driving drunk. I got arrested and charged with a dui.

So now I have to wait to go to court and see what happens, I guess...
Best thing that ever happened to me (in the long run) was getting nailed drinking and driving.

I suppose I could have done some investigating to find out what a real alcoholic is and if I was one......but I was too unwilling to even look. After my 3rd DUI (within 7 years) I was forced to take a look.

It's funny.....cuz I was still pretty sure I just had a "drinking and driving" problem.....I didn't believe I was an alcoholic - then again, I didn't really know what an alcoholic was. I assumed it was someone who drank too much, never had control over their booze, and was always basically smashed.

What I didn't know was that alcoholism isn't dependent upon how much you drink or how often you drink. Even the most hard-core alcoholics can control their drinking sometimes. What separates the real alcoholic form the hard drinker is CHOICE. Can you "choose not to drink" and stick to it? Can you "choose to only have a couple" and stick to it? And once you've stopped, can you choose to run your life successfully and actually do it? It took me a lot of pain and suffering to finally get honest with myself about those questions...... I hope you learn more quickly than I did.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Trixie if anyone told me that i would be sipping decaff coffee on a friday evening 2 years ago, I would have made a substantial bet against it....I made some substantial changes and reconstructed my life.

I do hope you realize the substantial consequences of what has happened and how lucky you are not to have caused injury to anyone or yourself. I don't know it the reality has hit home for you yet....maybe it is a good time to take inventory of the situation and decide your direction....and write some checks for those tickets and fines...that might help to show you the real issue. or haveto use public transportation and take twice as long to get to work.
imagine what you will look and feel like when you are 10 years older and keep drinking...I went through some of your older postings and I think you want to quit....

wish you the best and glad you are back posting!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this, but I so hope that you use this experience to help you stop drinking.