Notices

I'm 2 days in after drinking heavily every day for a month.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm 2 days in after drinking heavily every day for a month.

I've come to the point where I realize I cannot continue living my life the way I have been, which has largely under the influence of alcohol and other substances. Given that this has driven away most of my friends, I don't have many people to be accountable to. I'm not interested in AA, for several reasons, but I am interested in complete sobriety. That's why I'm here. I don't know if this is the proper way to introduce myself, or if this this is the right forum, but it seemed to be. I've tried getting sober before but I either always came up with an excuse to get smashed after about 6 days, or had it creep back into my life with "just one drink."
I just need people to be accountable to, and given that the ACOA part of this forum has provided me with great insight about myself, I thought this would be at least the place to start.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Glad you are here. I do hope you find the support, strength, experience, and hope I have found here at SR.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi justintyme

I think support is very important - I know you'll find a lot of that here...and some ideas too, hopefully.

I don't do AA either...and in fact SR is my main recovery tool....but most people find some kind of face to face support is helpful, whether it's another recovery group like SMART, or some kind of counselling, or whatever....

In case you're interested, here's a link to some of the main recovery players.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Welcome to SR

D
Old 03-22-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm staying sober with the help and support of this site and my addiction counselor. I've found SR to be a huge help and my counselor agrees. It helps me to come here and share my experience. That helps the newcomer and it helps me too. We both win.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!!!! I wish you the best
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I too did not do AA but used SR as a big tool to help me during my tough times. Take care of yourself and be careful with the detox process, seeing a Dr. to help is a good idea.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome again Justin, was nice to catch you in chat. This place has been hugely supportive to me in my sobriety and I know you will find just as much encouragement, help, guidance and support as I have.

Great to see you so determined on the road to sobriety.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
orangutan

Welcome Justintyme.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, normally I would say Welcome! but I see you have been a member of SR for 10 months now and are just getting around to your first post.

You are going to have to post more here if you expect to get much out of SR. Alcoholism is often a disease of isolation and you've "driven away most of your friends" and you are not interested in AA. You need to be more than just be a voyeur on SR in my opinion.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum - and yes, you posted in the perfect spot....

A lot of us found we were pretty isolated while drinking. I actually preferred it that way - me and the bottle. It's no way to live, that's for sure.

Congrats on day 2 - just keep taking it one day at a time and keep posting/reading. It really helps!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I'm new too, and already I can't get by without this site!!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Justintyme,

I've received great support and information here. I haven't had professional counseling yet, but I know I would have gotten this far without SR. I'm looking into alternatives to AA also, but I need to keep plugged in SR to keep going.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. We're glad you are here. My story is one of repetitive failure.

I would drink for a while and keep in fairly under control, then have a "bad drunk". Then quit, then feel better, then think "it's time for a drink", then have one, then drink regularly and keep it fairly under control, then have a "bad drunk".

Repetitive, destructive behavior. I have tried many things and the only thing that has worked for me is to have AA be the foundation of my recovery. I do many other things, but it all starts with AA. I know there are other ways out there.

I wish you the best and hope we can all stay sober just one day at a time!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post

I would drink for a while and keep in fairly under control, then have a "bad drunk". Then quit, then feel better, then think "it's time for a drink", then have one, then drink regularly and keep it fairly under control, then have a "bad drunk".

Repetitive, destructive behavior. I have tried many things and the only thing that has worked for me is to have AA be the foundation of my recovery. I do many other things, but it all starts with AA. I know there are other ways out there.

I have been doing the same for YEARS!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! I also was very, like, "I am not going to AA" and I've only gone to one meeting so far, but it was not as bad as I thought. I'm alos in an intensive outpatient treatment group, which also satisfies the social area. I'm absolutely an isolater by nature, very shy, hard to admit I need help, hard to walk in, all of that... Just keep the option open - your attitude may change. Personally it is very helpful to me to have the face to face interaction, in whatever way you can get it.

But keep coming back here too. Good for you!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

First off let me say I appreciate the warm welcome. I definitely have this at the top of my bookmarks, so I'll be reminded of the forum everyday.

As for being a member for a while, I lurked in the ACOA forums and found insight there about the way I act sometimes. The "13 things" list was an eye opener. However, it wasn't until the other day that I came to the conclusion that my drinking was unacceptable, and I made a commitment to complete sobriety. I have a couple people IRL that are close to me that I am using to hold myself accountable.

As for AA, I actually looked into it after a great chat with Manz and gratefullysick, but using the "find a meeting" thing on their site I found my area has no meetings within an hour of me, and in my current situation it's not feasible to go to one. I had not completely ruled it out, and I don't intend to insult the organization, especially if it's worked for anyone. I know it worked for the comedian Bill Hicks, who is one of my heroes.

Thanks again everyone. I hope to use this site to it's full extent, and I hope to be as supportive to others as people have been to me.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post

I had a similar situation, but this is the first time that I really came to accept that it's unacceptable and committed myself to sobriety. If you look in my post above, I hope you can see that I did not completely rule it out.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I wanted to welcome you to SR. I use SR and have been attending AA meetings. I really don't know if I will stick with the AA meetings or not.
I have attended mulitple times in the past and they are a wonderful organization, but just don't know if that will be my way of recovery or not.

I do know that I will need something more then SR, because I am a total
isolater and need to have something face to face to be successful.

SR is invaluable because it is here 24/7 and there is always someone to "talk" to. Stick around and I wish you all the best.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I hated AA at first. For twelve years, I have been in and out of meetings because you know the alcoholic voice in me kept telling me that I was "better than anyone there." I wasn't like these people. But the repetitive drinking that I haven't been able to control since I was a 15 has kept me going back and crawling in with hangover after hangover. SR has kept me sober for the last 5 days 'cause this time the last time I drank I vomited all over the driver's seat of my car and didn't remember. Really safe.