Notices

Identifying patterns and triggers?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by March7 View Post
What ended up happening tonight was I went with that same friend to a normal restaurant to get dinner (not a party atmosphere like where we would normally go) and it was easier to just get water with my meal, have a conversation, and leave. HOWEVER- my friend got a margarita, which came out wrong, and my friend asked me to taste it to see if I agreed it was made wrong. I know this all seems like stupid details, but I have a point to this I promise
Anyway, I didn't taste it, blaming my hangover. I think what I actually said was, "I can't even smell that right now or I will puke"
But that made me think I need to put in a MUCH BIGGER effort to make changes- maybe not just the venue, but the people as well. This is a very good friend who I talk to almost every day, we go to the gym together, and many other activities that don't include alcohol- but many do. I think I need to stay away from any situation where there might be alcohol, at least for awhile. Even if that means avoiding people I like until I get stronger. This is a tough one for me!
Does this friend know you're trying to quit? If they are truly a friend, then they will be supportive of you if you do tell them. If they're not supportive of your decision then maybe they weren't as good a friend as you thought. Food for thought.

I had the same idea about avoiding people about a year and a half ago, around the first time I tried to quit. What I found was that avoiding people involves lying in bed on the weekends, watching tv and doing nothing. That may be sober, but it was just as bad and depressing as drinking. For me, recovery has turned into a group effort, involving my mom and dad, sister and brother and all the friends I still have that didn't leave along the way. AA can be great, too, so I'm glad to see that you're gonna go to a meeting.

Keep it up, we're doing great!

-Josh
Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by March7 View Post
What ended up happening tonight was I went with that same friend to a normal restaurant to get dinner (not a party atmosphere like where we would normally go) and it was easier to just get water with my meal, have a conversation, and leave. HOWEVER- my friend got a margarita, which came out wrong, and my friend asked me to taste it to see if I agreed it was made wrong. I know this all seems like stupid details, but I have a point to this I promise
Anyway, I didn't taste it, blaming my hangover. I think what I actually said was, "I can't even smell that right now or I will puke"
But that made me think I need to put in a MUCH BIGGER effort to make changes- maybe not just the venue, but the people as well. This is a very good friend who I talk to almost every day, we go to the gym together, and many other activities that don't include alcohol- but many do. I think I need to stay away from any situation where there might be alcohol, at least for awhile. Even if that means avoiding people I like until I get stronger. This is a tough one for me!
Just go to the gym..skip the alcohol served venues for now. A real friend will understand.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

in the beginning I would skip the restaurants tha served booze...i would go to the BYOB places and bring a bottle of sparkling water or some fruit flavored water....I was PLEASANTLY surprised that I preferred this as it became the norm...and the restaurant bill was considerably less without 3 drinks added to the bill.

i use the saving $$ and losing weight bonuses to help keep me on track...nothing like common sense and cash to help my triggers.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
is really trying!

[QUOTE=artsoul;2904799]
Early sobriety is tough because the alcoholic thinking is still there - it's takes time for sobriety to become our new normal.

YES!! This is exactly it for me, its like I'm relearning all kinds of social & domestic situations. Just wish someone would put the magic number on how long it will take for sobriety to feel 'normal' - if you promised me it would take200 days or anything definite I'd be delighted!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you saphira, i would go the whole day without eating just to get drunk, no food in my system. WOW! I thought I was the only one who did this.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No, you are definitely not the only one, Perfectly...I feel so sad to think of how many dinners I missed with my husband and son just so I could get hammered later on. I guess the important thing is that it's all different now!! How have you dealt with the starving/binging thing? I feel like I'm eating all the time--I can't stand to have that hungry feeling! My brain still thinks that an empty stomach=drinking.