Notices

AA snubbing SR?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aurora80 View Post
In every instance I have mentioned the support I've gotten here at SR to someone from AA I've always gotten a snub.

???

Not just from the old old old timers who aren't internet savvy either. A couple people have even acknowledged they were aware of SR, but still there was an air of.... I dunno if disapproval is the right word, but that's what it felt like.

wtf? Has anyone else experienced this?
Usenet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, the AA people I mentioned it to didn't seem to be interested in the internet in general.

Not sure what you mean by 'internet savvy', but I was participating in usenet newsgroups back in 1996 and learned several things pretty quickly.

The first thing I learned is that there's a lot of information out there, mostly good factual stuff, some worthless garbage.

There are a lot of 'people' out there, and things are sometimes not what they appear to be.

Will admit that I used to have a lot of fun engaging in that stuff, munging someone's email address while using their username to forge a post making them appear to be a complete chucklehead, or just doing crude cut and pastes to make it appear that they wrote something they didn't actually write. Throwing out subtle trolls to see who you could hook. You had to be extremely thick skinned and very glib to survive/thrive in those places. Good, clean, harmless, unhealthy fun.

So, I look for the separation of the wheat from the chaff, and always try to keep in mind, while giving most everyone the benefit of the doubt-initially anyways-that it is the internet, not real life.

A last thought, I was directed to this place after participating in an unmoderated forum, that place was an absolute sewer.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My experience has been the complete opposite. For personal reasons, i have been unable to attend meetings for the past several months (thank goodness that is coming to an end). SR has been a lifeline for me. My AA family is aware of the support I have here, and has been grateful I have had it. I am sorry your experience has been different.

Remember AA is made up of people, with all our various flaws and opinions.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I often mention my online recovery forum in shares at meetings and noone seems disaproving and like some others here I have recommended SR to people in AA especially those who struggle to make regular meetings. Everything we can do that is a positive way to spend time and takes us away from drink I feel should be encouraged, I am a happy SR/AA customer thus far
Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't actually go to AA, any more, but a while ago, needed a lawyer, and chose the one I knew from my old home group. We live 2 hours apart (I had a lot of tickets back in my old town, from my using days and some other things to take care of).

We met at a Burger King, halfway between our cities, talked about the legal stuff, then had what I call a "mini meeting". This is a man who has over 30 years in AA. We talked about what I was doing in recovery, and of course, I told him about SR and that I had made many friends that I also e-mailed, a lot.

He asked the questions I expected..was there someone I could talk to about anything and everything, someone who knew all about me (like a 5th step), and I said "yes", he asked about amends, and whether I was helping others.

When we got through, he said "it sounds like you're doing really, really good. Just remember, if what IS working for you stops working, the door is always open". I call, to check in with him, occasionally, and he tells me "keep it up, you're doing great, and it's good to hear from you".

I've met many other people who go to AA, and we'll often talk. They were a bit surprised I got so much out of an online recovery board, but they said they could tell, by talking to me, that though I don't go to meetings, I still use what I learned when I did, and they thought it was pretty cool I'd found such a supportive place where I could give and receive ES&H.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-20-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post

Not sure what you mean by 'internet savvy', but I was participating in usenet newsgroups back in 1996 and learned several things pretty quickly.

What is the meaning of internet savvy? - *****! Answers
Old 03-20-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've yet to have that experience. Although I don't really bring it up too much at meetings TBH. I'm sure there's always some person out there who would knock it at the first chance. Just ignore those haters.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

At 3 years already happily AA sober I came on line in '92.
I've been an active member of many sites...Made SR my
cyber home 9 years ago...we were much smaller then.

We have added many improvements but the message of recovery
remains strong for anyone interested....

I've also shared often in meetings how interesting and supportive
recovery sites are for me as a supplement to my recovery.

Some members have asked for addy's I gave them.
I know some AA members joined because they told me ..others ???

neither SR or AA endorses each other nor should they.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

As an expat who lives where AA is rare I view it as my transmission line to other drunks.

I share this site as a transmission line to those in my situation but don't call it a replacement.

Thank God for SR.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My sponser, yes I have one, thinks its great that I spend time on SR. You see with house arrest and working all the time its really tough to hit a meeting. I am very grateful for SR.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

AA itself has an online presence these days, for those who can't attend the traditional meetings. However, I think they do strongly encourage you to seek out the face to face meetings if you can.

A lot of people do better with f2f help. I know that I do (albeit counseling not AA). The Internet can be a useful supplement to a recovery program though, a good place to obtain information. You can make it clear that you are not substituting one program for another.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You have the opportunity here to inform the oldtimers that AA approves the use of the internet in recovering from alcoholism.

It's in the forward to the 4th edition of the Big Book 'modem to modem' in the same line as face to face contact to support our recovery.

Then if you like you can ask them 'What, don't you believe what's in the Big Book?'

Have fun.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have some mixed feelings about promoting something like SR in an AA meeting. Can't tell what was being said at the meeting in question, and it's not my place to judge. I am conscious of our Primary Purpose in AA, and things that stray from it are generally best left outside the meeting.

For instance, I don't talk about SMART in AA. I don't talk about Camperal in AA. Those are outside issues. And I'm sure as heck not going to promote ideas that directly contradict AA's solution while I'm sitting in an AA meeting.

Like it or not, AA just isn't the sober club group therapy deal. It's not all things to all people. We either have a common solution on which we can all agree, or we do not. Anything I do within an AA meeting that strays outside of that common solution is best left to outside the meeting.