Thread: AA snubbing SR?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

Originally Posted by Aurora80 View Post
In every instance I have mentioned the support I've gotten here at SR to someone from AA I've always gotten a snub.

???

Not just from the old old old timers who aren't internet savvy either. A couple people have even acknowledged they were aware of SR, but still there was an air of.... I dunno if disapproval is the right word, but that's what it felt like.

wtf? Has anyone else experienced this?
Usenet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, the AA people I mentioned it to didn't seem to be interested in the internet in general.

Not sure what you mean by 'internet savvy', but I was participating in usenet newsgroups back in 1996 and learned several things pretty quickly.

The first thing I learned is that there's a lot of information out there, mostly good factual stuff, some worthless garbage.

There are a lot of 'people' out there, and things are sometimes not what they appear to be.

Will admit that I used to have a lot of fun engaging in that stuff, munging someone's email address while using their username to forge a post making them appear to be a complete chucklehead, or just doing crude cut and pastes to make it appear that they wrote something they didn't actually write. Throwing out subtle trolls to see who you could hook. You had to be extremely thick skinned and very glib to survive/thrive in those places. Good, clean, harmless, unhealthy fun.

So, I look for the separation of the wheat from the chaff, and always try to keep in mind, while giving most everyone the benefit of the doubt-initially anyways-that it is the internet, not real life.

A last thought, I was directed to this place after participating in an unmoderated forum, that place was an absolute sewer.