Notices

Hi, Glad I found this site!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, Glad I found this site!

I will keep it short and simple I am a very bad binge drinker and have done several bad things at the end of the binge (half the stuff I dont remember). I went to my doctor for help and got some drugs he said would help but whenI relasped recently the results were scary. I blacked out for over half the night even caused a fight at a bar I used to hang out all the time at. I dont remember why I went to the bar how I got there or even who I was with! It really scares me that I blacked out for such a long period of time. I am only 25 and cant believe I am dealing with alcholism already and all my friends think its a joke because I am the "party man" Charlie Sheen of my group according to them! I got rid of my facebook, cell phone, and secluded myself at my parents house which makes me feel worthless. I have been secluded for over a week and have not left the house... I am having a hard time sleeping and I cant get up for work. My other problem is everytime I quit drinking I switch to heavy gambling which I have also cut off but it adds to my aniexty which is at a all time high. I snap at people all the time and I dont know what to do? any help/suggestions would be great!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This site is fantastic.

Stay safe

R
Old 03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I put this post in the wrong section sorry about that my brain is not working to well right now!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
Your post is in a good place. You are a newcomer - this is the newcomer section of SR. You will also find a lot of help in the alcoholics part of the forum - which it sounds to me like you might qualify, but that has to be your decision. If you're here, you already think you have a problem and are looking for help.

Doctors are good and doling out meds. Alcohol abuse can easily turn into other drug abuse for many. Especially when it's prescribed.

I attend AA as a secondary fellowship. I work the NA program, however. These fellowships have helped me. Regardless of how you get sober - finding others for support in face to face support groups is very beneficial. They've been there - and know how to face the problems of stopping - and staying stopped.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome and it certainly sounds like you're in the right place.

Your age doesn't matter much as far as if you're an alcoholic or not.

I am an alcholic and I did all sorts of selfish and reckless things while in a blackout.

AA has a set of steps to not only remove the obession of drinking, but also to clear up the wreckage of our past.

I had to change who I was or the same me will drink again, and again, and again.

Maybe this is true with you too?

Kjell
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You have found a great place for support.

Please talk to your dr because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Schrader21-

First, Welcome.

Second, AA helped me HUGE through my first couple weeks of sobriety, and helps me even more after.

No sense in locking yourself up in a house. Check out a meeting. It's actually kind of fun hanging out with a bunch of sober drunks.

Good luck to you,
Zube
Old 03-04-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome schrader - glad you're here..... There's lots of resources out there (addiction counseling, AA, SMART recovery, psychiatrists, inpatient and outpatient treatment as well as this forum). It's really hard to stay sober on our own, so get all the support you can. Have you talked to your parents about this? Maybe they can help you get the help you need.

A lot of us have insomnia when we first get sober - it usually goes away after a few weeks. If you find the anxiety and sleeplessness ongoing, or if you feel you are dealing with depression, maybe getting some help with that might improve your chances of sobriety.

You're not alone and there's no shame in reaching out for help. Infact, its a huge and positive step. :ghug3
Old 03-04-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome schrader

D
Old 03-04-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Schrader...I can identify with feeling so awful and guilt-ridden I hid from people. It's no way to be. And blackouts...ugh. Scary and dangerous.

I think it would be healthy if you reached out face to face for help - your doctor, parents, AA meeting, something. It's helped me, anyhow.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. YOu're in the right place.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to SR! This site has been invaluable to me. Terrific people, terrific insights. Hope it's as helpful for you!

It does get better. Hang in there.